Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Taille ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:00AM

It always really bothered me how the Church kissed the behinds of its celebrities.

Instead of fawning over Steve Young, shouldn't they rather have publicly castigated him for working on Sundays?

Not only did he get a pass from the church for breaking the sabbath, he got special treatment, as far as i could tell, like good seats at conference.

Meanwhile, we peons were and are told to obey all the rules or we'll face the judgement.

It makes my blood boil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:06AM

They're vulnerable to celebrity hype. They think the existence of Mormon celebrities lends all Mormons larger measure of credibility.

You're right about the unequal treatment.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:07AM

Every time one is mentioned, it's like a free "I'm a Mormon" commercial, if they are prominently known as being a Mormon.

It's validation for the members that they are "normal" since someone famous is a member and propaganda to the outside world of "see, we're not a Cult." Would [fill in the name] join a Cult?

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:11AM

Uber rich Mormons get the same.

Money can't buy you love,

But it can buy you a pass on the commandments...

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:15AM

Because one, their celebrity status can be used by the LDS to draw their hero worshipping followers into the Mormon net and two, they probably have a great deal of money and when all's said and done that is the driving force behind the LDS

Posted by: Vivian M. ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:16AM

Think Scientology

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:39PM

I think it mostly is about the hierarchical organization of Moism. It's all about a caste system before, during and after life.

The better one is living (financial and social success) the more it indicates their elect (valiant) status in the pre and post mortal realms.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.