Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:37AM

Every LDS member knows that July 24, 1847 is the day that Brigham Young entered the Salt Lake Valley and through inspiration declared, "This is the Place."

The only problem is that it didn't happen that way. Brigham Young never uttered the words "This is the Place." Like everything else LDS, this is an urban myth that has been advanced through the years in order to promote faith.

The first written account of the words "This is the Place" was recorded in 1880 -- 37 years after the Saints entered the Salt Lake Valley and 3 years after the death of Brigham Young. None of BY's contemporaries ever recorded that he uttered "This is the Place."

Source: "Devil's Gate" by David Roberts (available on Amazon)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HHH ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:52AM

"this is the place"

we sang these words in a primary song. this is probably how it became so famous.

Also, wasn't BY using Fremont's map to locate the Salt Lake valley? Church always insinuated that it was the spirit and inspiration that led BY there.

Date: July 24, 2014 10:16AM

Yes, BY and the pioneers had Fremont's maps and used them in their march westward. They also consulted with Jim Bridger along the way.

It is ironic because Fremont later ran for president of the US (as the first Republican) in 1856 vowing to eliminate "those twin relics of barbarism -- slavery and polygamy."

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:24AM

Cat Carter (manager) told about a guy who had a T-shirt that said, "No, man, This is the Place" Meaning the Saloon.
I hope he is there and wearing it tonight for the EXmo party.

Pay Lay Alol

Date: July 24, 2014 10:26AM

Let me just recommend the book I mentioned earlier -- Devil's Gate.

It is a horrific account of the Willie and Martin handcart companies and the hardships that they endured.

The book is a scathing indictment of Brigham Young and his propensity to put the love of monetary fortune ahead of the saving of LDS lives.

Note: The book is not faith-promoting in any way but I found it to be an objective analysis of what really happened, as well as the LDS effort to put a faith-promoting spin on the crisis.

Posted by: Bombadilgirl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:39AM

The Utah Journey is the text used for 7th grade Utah studies in Utah public schools. It details Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow being the first to see the valley, the text says they threw their hats in the air and shouted, Hosanna! It also gives contrasting quotes as to what the valley looked like, quoting Wilford Woodruff's favorable account(not his later accurate account) with Harriet Young's, "I would rather go a thousand miles further than remain in such a forsaken place as this..." The text allows for discussion on accurate historical interpretations, and how some things may have been recorded incorrectly for various purposes. Then we play with the following possibilities: Orson and Erastus did throw their hats, not up, but down and did shout, not hosanna but,"Dagnabbit!" Brigham Young's quote from the text says, "It is enough. This is the right place. Move on." What he really may have said is, "I've had enough, this is the right place? Keep moving!"

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:39PM

This is the RIGHT place:

Major earthquake zone
Salty water
Prone to harsh winters (lake effect snow)
etc.

The main reason Briggy liked it was because it was REMOTE and he could do whatever he wanted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.