Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:29PM

I have no TV. I have no significant exposure to mainstream entertainment media.

I'm not really interested in celebrities so I don't know about the next Sean Penn movie that's about to come out.

I also spend way too much time on this site for a nevermo.

I am very cheap but it appears that even a subscription to either Netflix or Hulu+ would not be too expensive for me to swallow.

Which would you ex-Mormon types suggest I subscribe to?

I am technology-adverse. I am not getting some special antenna and trying to hook it up. I can't even make my subscription to my antivirus work, there is no way I'm going to Pirate Bay or any of its ilk for free TV.

I like historical fiction and historical documentaries the best.

I am not interested in sports.

I would like to watch some TV. I have hear of House of Cards and The Walking Dead. I think I would like them...possibly.

I like movies--mostly indie. Not interested in Action genre. Like psychological thrillers/horror--not slasher.

Like some comedy--not aimed at 18-25 males.

I am a 50-year-old, female, social studies teacher.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SB ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:31PM

Netflix all the way:

HULU+: commercials

Netflix: Zezo commercials

Date: July 25, 2014 03:11PM

Ugh. I hate commercials. I don't think I could go back to that.

Posted by: shazam101 ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:37PM

Netflix would be a better choice for you on this. Great documentaries and it does have its own series like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. Lots of Film Noir too.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:38PM

http://www.ch131.so/

You are welcome

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:50PM

Do you have to download or something? Maybe I didn't read the site very well???? Okay--just noticed you have to download. Can you use it on a TV rather than a computer? I spend so much time at my computer, no way I want to watch Tv on it, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 02:52PM by cl2.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:44PM

No you do not down load anything.

It will give you several links to watch it online...nothing is downloaded

Here is another link to watch TV shows...same thing just links to watch...nothing is downloaded.

http://watchseries.lt/

I do suggest you put on "Ad Block" extension on your browser to avoid any annoying ads

I have my TV connected to my computer and watch it all on my TV

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 05:45PM by whatiswanted.

Date: July 25, 2014 02:40PM

I also subscribe to their DVDs off and on if I want to be able to watch some TV series that they don't live stream. I just watched the last seasons of Downton Abbey and Nurse Jackie. I'm waiting for Homeland to be on DVD in September.

I have regular TV stations with an antenna that my ex put up and then I use Netflix for everything else.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:47PM

I much prefer Netflix. We love documentaries and there are plenty available.

We instant stream and have DVD's delivered directly to the house.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:48PM

If you are going with just one I would say Netflix. You can check out the programing from both and see what would be your best fit.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:52PM

Date: July 25, 2014 02:54PM

I think they're both about $8 per month. Very cheap compared to a cable TV subscription.

I don't see myself ever buying another TV. It's all laptop all the time for me.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 02:56PM

I just asked my son if he knew about other types of streaming. I was wondering the same thing, particularly because of someone's mention of "The Leftovers" yesterday. What I understand is Hulu has recent and present TV shows, where with Netflix, you have to wait and you have no way of knowing if another company will get that show, like Amazon Prime. Netflix is still the best and you can get DVDs. I presently have Netflix. I tried Amazon Prime and so far I like Netflix better, but Amazon has "Downton Abby." I think Netflix is still the leader as far as selection and value, according to my research.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:03PM

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I prefer Netflix over Prime because I like the interface better (watching mainly on my ipad). But Prime is a good deal if you order things on Amazon a lot. And if you have a kindle, you can check out one free library book with Prime. There are a few shows on Prime that I can't get on Netflix (Veronica Mars for one), but overall I think Netflix has more newer content.

Prime costs $99 a year now. Netflix starts at $8 a month for only streaming - no DVDs. I'm not sure the price for both streaming and DVDs - maybe $13 a month. We have both at home and happen to live near a distribution center, so we can mail a DVD back and get a new one in just 1 or 2 days. The advantage of the DVDs that a lot of the newer movies come to DVD before streaming. But you might not want to pay the extra if you don't care about that.

You can sign up for a free 1 month trial of Netflix to see if you like it.

Date: July 25, 2014 03:10PM

I think I would actually be willing to pay for the DVDs.

I tried the streaming-only a few years ago when their streaming was new and they hardly had any recent movies streaming.

I've heard it isn't much better streaming-only-wise than it used to be--presumably because they want you to pay extra for the DVDs.

Downton Abbey is on the PBS website but not all the time. Prior to the new season they let you watch the last one (and I think all, or that matter) and during the run of the season they let you stream all of that season the day after the episode airs.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:18PM

I got rid of Dish years ago. I subscribe to Netflix for $21.63 per month. Unlimited streaming and two dvds out-at-a time. I also use Redbox.

If you like psychological thrillers, you might like "True Detective" with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Sad to say, that Netflix does not offer streaming for this series but the turn-around time for returning a dvd and receiving another one is really quick.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:21PM

If you are technology-adverse, you would likely find Netflix a better choice, as their user interface is much friendlier than Hulu's.

Plus, the lack of commercials and (in my opinion) better selection of shows and movies) makes Netflix the superior option.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:22PM

I've recently dropped my cable bill from $90/month to $20 and just get the local channels.

I've learned to stream. My internet is only 3mps and I can stream just fine. I prefer streaming now, mostly for the instant gratification.

I have Netflix streaming and 1 disk at a time. I already have Amazon prime for fast delivery and books, and they have some series for streaming that I really like.

It's the wild west right now. Every media owner is signing contracts for different sorts of rights and rules. Content on all the places changes constantly.

Date: July 25, 2014 03:27PM

The consensus seems to be Netflix.

Follow-up question, though.

Would you supplement streaming-only Netflix with DVD Netflix or Redbox or would you just wait on the DVD option?

I am lazy. Don't know how annoyed I'd be with the idea of running up to the grocery store @ ll:59P and 29 degrees outside.

But is convenience worth $5 more per month.

Remember people, I'm starting out with no access to anything right not.

Thanks again!

Posted by: TVaddict ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:52PM

Based on what you want I would personally try netflix first, then Hulu+. Remember that they have free trial's, so you can maybe space them out and see which you prefer. I like the original programming on Netflix better than Hulu+, too.

Sincerely,
Really am a TVaddict

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:39PM

Netflix makes it pretty easy to switch plans and options online on the fly. I'd start with streaming and see how it goes first.

Date: July 25, 2014 03:45PM

We cut the cable last fall and I thought the world would end but I've gotten used to it. I've always had Netflix and like all of the options they have. We discovered that we were letting the disc's gather dust so we canceled that aspect and have the streaming only version and use it daily. I also have Hulu+ and the amount of commercials on there drive me nuts!! Especially since it will often buffer, kick me out and restart, then I get to watch the intro commercials again. *Joy* The nice things about Hulu+ (for us) are they have zero commercials on the kids shows, they have some cable programming (comedy central, bravo, tv land and others) and the shows are current seasons. We also have amazon prime but I don't use it as much because I can't use it with our Chromecast (which I LOVE so much I've bought 4 for friends and family). The nice thing about my chromecast is that it'll skip YouTube commercials, so I watch a lot of older tv shows and documentaries on there. I had no idea how much free, quality programming was available on YouTube until we canceled cable. History Channel even has their own YouTube channel with ton's of documentaries.
We stream anything we can't get from the above on ProjectFreeTV. But I'd recommend installing an ad blocker if you go that route, there can be a lot of tricky pop ups to navigate.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 03:58PM

I moved to my hermit home in Kentucky and found that I had access to Time-Warner Cable. I got internet/phone/tv and it was costing me $150 a month. I decided that I didn't watch TV enough to justify it.. I went back to just internet and phone. NETFLIX was what I chose, and it is fine. Another thing I got was the Chromecast device. It's $35 and plugs into your HDMI port on your TV. Netflix works with it, as does YouTube. This works for me because I hate cable TV ads and just don't watch it enough to justify the cost.

Date: July 25, 2014 05:05PM

Love, love, love the Chromecast

Posted by: TVman ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 04:04PM

Let me throw in another option: Apple TV + Netflix.

The apple TV is around $100 (small black box), but you have quite a bit of additional channels, like the Smithonian, I also see ESPN live and watched the world cup -- free.

One more option. Some providers are offering Internet + HBO only. You can use your subscription ID for HBO on your Apple TV - don't need a cable box...

Date: July 25, 2014 06:31PM

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 04:52PM

One of the nicest things about Hulu and Netflix is that you don't have a contract. You can have Netflix for a while and then suspend your usage and use Hulu for a while. I like both, but I don't use both as the same time. I also watch PBS online.

Posted by: 2short ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:04PM

I pretty much watch everything using YouTube. They have a lot of documentaries and old 48 Hours, 20/20 and Dateline shows.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:57PM

I have Netflix and enjoy it as well as cable TV. But lately I'm spending more and more time watching You Tube, and that includes news and documentaries. These are interesting times for the old boob tube.

Date: July 25, 2014 06:32PM

Date: July 25, 2014 06:38PM

can you use it to watch youtube (I like the old 48 hours, etc.). I bought a chromecast and then took it back because I didn't know if I would use it enough.

What I'd like to see is a place I can watch HGTV shows. That is what I miss. Any service that provides HGTV?

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 06:39PM

We have both Netflix and Hulu+. I like them both, but if you want to start with just one, I would suggest Netflix.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 06:49PM

We have both. Both offer everything together. If you can't get it on netflix, likely you can on hulu. It's beautiful.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:02PM

I have both. To me they offer different options. Netflix has more content and more movies. Hulu will provide you access to many popular TV shows just a few days after they air (usually the next day). With Netflix you have to wait to see the new TV shows (unless it's Netflix made like Orange is the New Black). I use Netflix more during the summer (fewer new TV series that I'm interested in) and Hulu more during the network TV season).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.