Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:48AM

because I left before I was old enough to go.... here are some of my thoughts.

1. Who wrote this dialogue? Not only is it boring, it's awful. It sounds like some combination of cowboys in a bad Western movie and some crappy medieval wannabe-Shakespeare. Which gives away the ceremony's origins pretty well.
2. And the actors sound like robots. The average GPS in a car has more emotion to its voice than Elohim and Jehovah.
3. "Come, let us go down," lends itself far too easily to some dirty puns.
4. Adam's not my type, but Eve's kinda cute. She actually looks sort of like an early Amy Winehouse, with her coloring and facial structure.
5. The dialogue though....
6. Ew, Mormon architecture is ugly. If you're gonna con people into giving you their money, at least spend it on something nice.
7. Why am I even watching this?
8. Satan's acting is okay. Does he have an accent?
9. What kind of name is Elohim? Is he supposed to be represented by that blob of light? Why doesn't he punish the Mormons for making such a crappy video of him? And are those T-shirts under Adam and Eve's fur things?
10. Hashtag sexist. Also that couple getting married or whatever looks really confused. Who wouldn't be?
11. FINALLY a mention of Jesus, but it's used in some creepy vow about the "law of sacrifice."
12. Can they, like, hurry it up a bit?
13. I. Hate. The. Fucking. Dialogue.
14. What's with the handshakes?
15. "O God, hear the words of my mouth" is a pretty pathetic prayer. Are you going to follow it up with some actual words of your mouth that God needs to hear?
16. Huh, Satan kinda looks like Dr. Oz.
17. PLEASE, ELOHIM! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE OMNISCIENT, BUT PETE, JIM, AND JOHNNY HAVE TO "OBSERVE" FOR YOU?
18. "You can buy anything in this world with money," is a total non sequitur. Also, if Adam and Eve are the only humans, how are there "ways of men" out there?
19. Eh, I'm done. This is a waste of time. I'll finish up later. If at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 07:59AM

15. "O God, hear the words of my mouth" is a pretty pathetic prayer.

Lol, you should have heard the pre 1990 version when it was "pay lay ale"!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:34AM

I don't know that they ever taught that. Has that been disavowed yet?

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 08:27AM

"15. "O God, hear the words of my mouth" is a pretty pathetic prayer. Are you going to follow it up with some actual words of your mouth that God needs to hear?"

That was one of the things I wondered about when I went to the temple for the first time. Here we spend all this time asking God to listen to us, and then we don't say anything for him to hear? WTF?

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 08:49AM

And just who hears and answers Adam when that prayer is uttered?
The true order of prayer happens just before being led through the Masonic emblems and into the Celestial Room which is startlingly disappointing. There is no Heavenly presence, just a very ornate room where you can sit for a moment or two and then hustled out. The disappointment you feel is the same disappointing bewilderment Adam and Eve must have felt when the lord of this world answered them.

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 08:51AM

Best commentary ever!

Posted by: Main Line ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:06AM

Is it just my imagination or bad memory or does the temple movie actually include the phrase "...the lion, the tiger, the bear..." I remember thinking "...Oh my!"

How the hell could I have considered such poor dialogue "inspired"? Any scholars know if "lions and tigers and bears... Oh my" is Masonic or what it's origins are and why is it in the temple movie? Of all the temple changes why wasn't this modified?

Anyone remember this or am I crazy? I can't stand to watch it again to confirm- blechhh!

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 11:50AM

You are correct. I also always followed up with, "Oh my!" in my head.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:54AM

It would have been great to watch the guys from mystery science 3000 watch this film.

Posted by: london ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 12:04PM

I think the Bohemian Grove dialogue is a lot more compelling."

Posted by: london ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 12:07PM

Ya...I got a boner over Eve a couple times. I wasn't sure I could stand up and switch the Temple garb up. Felt guilty for weeks.

I thought Lucifer actually had some of the best real work advice in the ceremony.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 12:09PM by london.

Posted by: B.yUboner ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:04PM

Got a boner from Eve? I thought I was the only one!

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 12:11PM

I've never taken out my endowments, so I was actually kind of excited to see it. I already had read the text of the ceremony, courtesy of the Tanners.

But reading is not the same as experiencing it. I'm not impressed.

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:16PM

bewarethetea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 11. FINALLY a mention of Jesus, but it's used in
> some creepy vow about the "law of sacrifice."

To be fair, Jehovah is actually Jesus Christ in his premortal form.

Although that makes this part make absolutely no sense:

PETER: Satan, we command you to depart!

LUCIFER: By what authority?

PETER: (With his right arm raised to the square.) In the name of Jesus Christ, our Master. (Lucifer is visibly shaken as he turns and steps into a dark crevice. Peter waits until he has left, and then approaches Adam.)

It makes no sense because "Jesus Christ" did not exist at the time of Adam. Only Jehovah existed. Even if Peter, John, and James knew what Jehovah's name would be, there is no reason that Satan would know Jehovah's name and title when he took mortal form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 03:18PM by apawst8.

Posted by: freedomatlast ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:19AM

My favorite were the cloud designs during the creation. I could've sworn that I saw Mickey Mouse in one of them and a mama and baby whale in the other. Most people knew the videos as the "blonde Eve" or the "brunette Eve". I always knew them as the Mickey Mouse one or the whale one. I since found out that TSCC actually used clips from Fantasia during that part so I wasn't "imagining" things after all!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.