Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xtremewayz ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 11:58PM

I was a witness to this and didn't want it to fall into oblivion and not be documented in some fashion. Here is the Seattle area a bishop ran off with his primary president. The husband of the primary president (victim) was devastated. He remained true to the faith and attended the temple regularly.

One day he was a witness to the former bishop and Primary president attending the temple together to be sealed. He was overcome with the emotion of the moment and hung himself. True story and I can document the veracity of the claim if needed. This happened in the Seattle area and has been suppressed for around 2 decades. Thank you President Monson and Hinckley for destroying another life in the shadow of the restoration of all things.

May you all burn in hell for perpetuating the lies of Joseph Smith in the the interest of self preservation and monetary gain. You and the quorum of the 12 and the Seventy will answer for not revealing the truth of all thing and perpetuating the lies. You are the real Gadianton Robbers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:51AM

Reminds me of how Orson Pratt was suicidal when he heard rumors of Joseph Smith or John C. Bennett (or both) boinking his wife Sarah when Orson was away on a mission.

So many relationships ruined in the name of a fraudulent organization.

Posted by: southernutah ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:43AM

can you give more details ?

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:52AM

in a ward near ours, the bishop had an affair with a sister in his ward. it started off with her coming in for appointments and it led to an affair. instead of him leaving his wife and marrying the new gal, he decided to live a polygamous life (benefit of being mormon, just marry both women!) and was excommunicated for it. some people left their ward over it. i talked to them about it, as they were really close friends to the bishop.

weird, weird stuff.

So sad about that husband. That's so wrong.

Posted by: zulu1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:19AM

Date: July 29, 2014 01:54AM

What kind of details do you want?? be specific
I'm not willing to divulge personal names, however I will to a private email. I have no problem sharing stake and ward in a private email but am concerned about defamation of character repercussions in posting that in a public forum.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:58AM

It sounds like that bishop really needed a bishop

Posted by: blissfulcrush ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 02:46AM

Speaking of relationships, last Sunday my brother broke up with his fiance because she didn't pass the interviews for the temple, and it will be over 1/2 a year of before the.bishop will let her let go of the past. It's ridiculous.

I always thoughts that the church leadership belived what they said. But you think they are intentfuly lying, and not just under the same dilusion everyone else is? Why so?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:13AM

True love? No way. If your brother were a real man he would forgive her and marry her outside the temple. Given his choice the girl is lucky she didn't marry him.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 02:58AM

"May you all burn in hell for perpetuating the lies of Joseph Smith in the the interest of self preservation and monetary gain. You and the quorum of the 12 and the Seventy will answer for not revealing the truth of all thing and perpetuating the lies. You are the real Gadianton Robbers." AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN 2000 TIMES AMEN!! THANKS FOR STATING THIS.....

Posted by: noshirking ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:58AM

+1

Date: July 29, 2014 03:22AM

thank you verilyverily.....it might add that i will gladly stand as a witness against these "intelectuals" at the last day. Amen and Amen!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 08:39AM

Um, what does this have to do with Mormonism, other than the people involved happen to be LDS? Marriages falling apart because one, or sometimes even both of the partners have fallen in love with someone else, is not even remotely unique to Mormonism.

As for the ex husband hanging himself, that is somewhat unusual, but only in that it is more common for exes that go off the deep end to threaten or carry out attacks on the ex, not themselves. Sometimes they do both, in a murder-suicide, or suicide by cop.

Just this month, there was the family killed in Texas by a Utah guy looking to kill his ex, and a woman and her boyfriend shot and killed near Ogden iirc, by her ex.

And let's not forget the astronaut who popped on an adult diaper so she could drive nonstop from Houston to Florida to confront a man she had been having an affair with who dumped her to stay with his wife. People who have been dumped are capable of pretty astonishing weirdness.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:19AM

That's a tragic story. Sorry to hear that. A cheating bishop is hardly an anomaly.

In the Utah ward I grew up in, the Bishop had an affair with a lady who was either the Relief Society, Primary, or Young Women's president--I can't remember exactly which one. They spent a lot of time together in "official ward capacity" and I think one thing led to another. They were so sneaky about it that no one knew at the time.

One day out of the blue the lady kicked her husband out and filed for divorce. Right after her divorce was finalized, the Bishop moved out on his family and filed for divorce, too. It was at that point that everyone realized what had been going on all along. People had seen them sneaking around town, holding hands, embracing each other in dark hallways, and etc. but had somehow written it off. After uncovering the truth, it was a like a big reveal in a TV show or movie when suddenly ever action and the plot makes total sense.

The lady and the Bishop got married (in the temple!!!!) a few months after his divorce was final. They broke apart two families and tore apart a ward. To this day they act like they did nothing wrong.

I testify to you that this is story is true, in the name of Anon for this one, Amen.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:31AM

I was a Ward Mission Leader, and the missionary's in my ward baptized a pretty young mother. Her husband, a wealthy business man, didn't like the church, but he went along with her. The Stake President, a member of royal family, thought she needed extra care, so he invited her in for interviews and laying on of the hands. Next thing you know, he's released, their shacking up, and all hell breaks lose. A few years later, he's back to church with his wife, and the pretty young mother left the church and is back with her husband. I saw the former SP in church every week after that (He was actually the son of my mission president). He was a cocky as ever. How could you show you face after all that? I couldn't do it. These people are nuckingfutz.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:51AM

Quite frankly I don't know what this story has to do with any religion.
There are thousands of people who run off with someone else, but usually don't kill anyone, or if they do it's one or both of the other spouses, not themselves.

I am always skeptical of these kinds of stories as there is never any verifiable facts. Usually, it's told as some kind of urban legend as a warning of the horrors of not doing the "right" thing.
It's the old story of what Satan and his minions are up to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 09:51AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:30AM

It's because it happens so much in the morgbot church. People are too familiar. It's like a job. It happens more in this cult. I believe all of the stories. You know the stories are true SusieQ.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:58AM

Way to bring it to light 20 years later, can't name names, and using an anonomous website. I'm sure this will prevent it form ever happening again. I call bull shit!!!!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:58AM

She was obviously not happy in her relationship and is now happy with the bishop. Life's short, and I don't see the problem.

She was not the first husband's property and she has the right to be as happy as possible in the short span between the cradle and the grave.

The guy that hung himself? That's on him...

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:03AM

I don't understand how the husband could not have known about this second marriage ahead of time. Its been a long-standing church policy that women cannot be married in the temple a second time, unless the first husband is notified and a sealing annulment is granted.

Posted by: Infrequent Observer ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:41AM

Yeah, I'm doubting that part of the story as well. In addition to having to get approval from a former spouse, 20 years ago, it would have been extremely rare for the 1st Presidency to allow someone to get sealing clearance to be sealed to the person they broke up their previous temple marriage with.

My uncle had an affair where they both left their "sealed" spouses and he married the lady, but never could get clearance to be sealed to that lady, because they were the original offenders. He died 30 years later and before he died the idiot told his new wife he was sorry, but he'd be back with his first wife in heaven.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:09AM

It may not be mormon-specific, but one of the things religious believers often say is that religion makes people morally better in some way...

So from that point of view, I think it is worthwhile highlighting this sort of thing.

Tom in Paris
Atheist
Unmarried to the same woman for the last 31 years, 3 children, no hurt.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:20AM

Lots of people do Lots of Stupid Things (self included), but when the Corp turns a Blind Eye due to this-that-the other reason, it sets a Bad Example to EVERYONE CONCERNED.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:33AM

Sure, these stories are not uncommon in any setting. However, they may be eye opening to the sheltered TBM. I grew up somewhat sheltered and very naive. I looked at my TBM family with relief that our "faithfulness" was protecting our family from worldly problems like divorce.

It wasn't until I was a young mom that my family became normal in my view. A parent had had a couple of affairs, one within the congregation, when I was younger. I had been oblivious to it. Under the guise of being a righteous person, this parent had done what was unthinkable in my TBM head. I had to cope with how this person had knowingly violated "sacred temple covenants" in the worst way possible besides murder. For months I was devastated that my family wasn't as righteous as we appeared to be.

I was more upset about the church affair than the other one because I felt both people had made covenants to live a higher standard. Both had families at stake. Both threw aside what I thought was an understanding of the so-called gospel plan. So much for eternal families! Now mine was broken and I didn't know how my family would be sealed to its ancestors. (So glad not to worry about that crap anymore!)

For TBMs as naive as I was, it is shocking and devastating to learn about affairs among family members or in the ward. TBMs hold themselves so high above the regular people of the world that it seems all the worse when it happens.

Now that I'm out of the church, I realize how much of a facade so many TBMs have created to fit into their religion.

Date: July 29, 2014 10:47AM

Surprisingly, they are common. A few years back in another ward in our stake, the bishop and YM's president announced they were having (unrelated) affairs within a short time of one another. From what I understand, it rocked the ward and needed stake backup to repair.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:52AM

Any chance of his is regarding the lady who had bipolar and was hallucinating penguins on people at church at one point?
Around this time, her husband divorced her, took her two kids with Lord of the Rings names, and married someone else within the chuch.
I never heard how the new wife became single or what happened with her husband because I was distancing myself as fast as possible at the time.

Anyways, it's probably not the people I'm thinking of because they weren't in Seattle proper, but very nearby in the outskirts of the city.
Curiosity would kill this cat if I didn't ask though, so there it is.
I can provide a temp email if I am anywhere in the ballpark. :)

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:54AM

xtremewayz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you
> President Monson and Hinckley for destroying
> another life in the shadow of the restoration of
> all things.
>

What exactly does Monson have to do with this? If they weren't Mormons, the RS Pres would have had an affair with someone else.

Date: July 29, 2014 12:08PM

I agree with your logic that Monson isn't directly responsible. However, I'm not so sure that a RS president would go out and have an affair with just anyone. Positions of power can have influence over others to make them do things that they may not otherwise do. Take for example the 33 polygamous/polyandrous "wives" of JS. Do you think that they wanted to go around boinking other guys? Probably not... It was JS's position of power that made it happen. Plus, just being around someone in closed quarters can help move things along.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:12PM

Sad story and if it happened to me I would be devastated too.

Yet it wouldn't be worth killing myself over.

A quote I read: "Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift."

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:38PM

I would submit that Hinckley and Monson did have a hand in this.

This is a product of correlation.

A bishop is supposed to be a leader. Correlation destroyed leadership and replaced it with bureaucracy.

If we take the story as printed..and I do not as there are too many holes in it...it may have had a much different outcome if the bishop were a leader, acting as counselor and caretaker of his congregation.

When the lay leader, pencil pushing bishop loses the ability to basically evan act human towards his people....and as he sees behind the curtain, this certainly contributes to this situation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.