Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SB ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:19PM

As you are aware Mormons use platitudes and childish cult arguments to make it “true”.

I was watching orange is the new black and in one episode the main character tells the Jesus-crazy inmate that she can’t get baptized because:

“I can’t pretend to believe in something I don’t, and I don’t [believe in this]… I believe in science. I believe in evolution. I believe in Nate Silver, and Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Christopher Hitchens …. I cannot get behind some Supreme Being who weighs in on the Tony awards while a million people get whacked by machetes. I don’t believe a billion Indians are going to hell. I don’t think that we get cancer to learn life lessons. And I don’t believe people die young because God needs another angel. I think it’s just bullshit. And on some level, I think we all know that…Look, I understand that religion makes it easier to deal with all of the random shitty things that happen to us. And I wish I could get on that ride, I'm sure I would be happier. But I can't . Feeling aren't enough. I need it to be real.”

Yesterday a TBM friend emailed me to ask me how I could loose my testimony. I used the Mormon idiotic mnemonic war chant:

If there is no metal in the new world, if Navaho don’t have Jewish DNA then the BOM is made up, that means JS was a fraud and if he was a fraud, then the church is a fraud. If the church is a fraud then your testimony is built on feelings of wanting it to be true.

Sorry, believing something does not make it true.

I can’t pretend. The church is simply UNBELIEVABLE.

Jesus wants a mall? Jesus has no soup kitchens? Jesus forgot to mention for over 100 years that racism is wrong? Jesus told JS to marry other men’s wives? Jesus has prophets that live in luxury? Jesus can’t make up his mind on gays? Jesus does not like beards? Jesus needed to rip off the masonic ceremonies to teach people? Jesus requires you practice polygamy to enter into heaven but will also kick you out to hell for doing it? Jesus is obsessed about earrings and pants but can’t give us a heads up on Katrina? Really?

Jesus, that is just not plausible, not even with all the faith in the world, because you can’t use faith to willfully ignore or believe factual lies. You may jump thru all the mental hoops you want; I know there is some self-righteous satisfaction in that, I’ve lived there. But as for me I will experience this life in reality, in honesty, with facts, with the willingness to admit that I am wrong, as I was about that church for over 30 years.

It’s ok to let it go.

As far as a testimony: it is nothing but a feeling of certainty that you are right. Have you ever wondered how a person like me that “knew beyond a shadow of a doubt” can leave? Why your testimony must be protected and fed every day? How can a fact change?

My truck is black whether I go look at it every 30 minutes or not. The feeling of something false being true needs constant reinforcement, truth is truth. It stands unafraid; it is provable or at least, not demonstratively false.

In reality, just like you, I felt I knew. I was not in the JS household, I did not see the plates, I did not see Jesus…it’s is all feelings, of certainty, but still feelings. I know how comforting thinking you know is, but you don’t. I don’t. So, yes, I've lost the feeling that you treasure so much because it was based on lies. That is why people can be bishops one day and ex-mormons the next. It is not Satan reaching down people’s spiritual pants.

It is feelings colliding with truth.

The truth ALWAYS wins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:25PM

ok, fine... when i get done with work i'll start watching Orange is the New Black

(been hearing so many good things about it anyway)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:33PM

Well done!!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 03:35PM

Your post is reminiscent of the Movie “Nacho Libre”:

Nacho: “I'm a little concerned right now. About... your salvation and stuff. How come you have not been baptized?”

Esqueleto: “Because I never got around to it ok? I dunno why you always have to be judging me because I only believe in science.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.