Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 12:14PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 01:21PM

Just wondering if any super TBM's have ever refused to have home or visiting teachers come over. Maybe because they have a very private life and don't welcome visitors in their own homes.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 07:59PM

EXON46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering if any super TBM's have ever
> refused to have home or visiting teachers come
> over. Maybe because they have a very private life
> and don't welcome visitors in their own homes.

I didn't refuse their visits but I refused to be a VT.

Below a conversation that happened with VT in my home:-

VT:- "What compassionate service have you done this month?"

Me:- "I helped my neighbour while she was recovering from surgery."

VT:- "Is she a member?"

Me:- "No."

VT:- "That doesn't count, she is not a member."

Me:- "Are you serious? I bet it counts to Heavenly Father."

They finished their lesson and I doubt they were even in their car when I got on the phone and called the RS president (good friend) and told her the above conversation. I was spitting mad. She said that we take care of members FIRST and VT is about caring for each other in the church, blah, blah, blah.

I told her I didn't like the question and, anyway and whose business is it who I help? It feels like the Pharisees showing their good works and keeping a record.

The conversation ended with my telling her that I would never do any more visiting teaching.

I never did VT again and we moved overseas shortly after that and I again refused to do VT and we made our decision to leave the church while we were still living overseas.

Posted by: topped ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:06PM

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 05:12PM

I love the example of the friendship between David and Jonathan, considering that some people think they were actually a couple... :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:38PM

Xyandro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love the example of the friendship between David
> and Jonathan, considering that some people think
> they were actually a couple... :)

That's based upon a misreading of the KJV and wishful thinking.

The better example would be the Good Samaritan. Christ presented a detested half-breed (who rejected the Davidic line, the Temple, the Histories, Prophets, and all the Wisdom literature) as being compassionate to a person outside of his kith and kin the very paradigm of mercy, contrasted against a priest and a Levite (the paradigm of Jewishness) as being unmerciful. Remember, the original question thrown at Christ was, "...and who is my neighbor?"

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 07:28PM

What lot of rubbish. I don't NEED a covenant with my friends we just are!!! Why can't tscc just let life happen? Talk abut a storm in a er ummmm herbal tea cup!

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 07:48PM

What a shallow bunch of claptrap in that article. Typical Mormonism... a mile wide and an inch deep.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 07:58PM

My home teacher called me today (end of the month). He asked how I was. I said "fine, enjoying my new church (UU) which has its own home teachers by the way." Trouble is he will call next month, he doesn't believe that anyone could leave and join another church.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:51AM

the MoMo's can and probably will eventually ex you.

I've made sure with checking in on every new CHI (thanks to moles here) that my DH can't be ex'ed just for attending my church with me.

He is liked and respected among the members, even though they know he is a Mormon.

He saw me drifting perilously close to complete disbelief (I still am a closet doubter, but the new church is at least comfortable.) He didn't want me to sever all ties with ALL Christian belief. Bless his little Mormon heart, he still hopes we can be together in Heaven.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 10:51AM

I go to a mainstream Christian church in the Morridor. We have lots of faithful regular attendees who do not "join" because of LDS family issues. We respect their choices, and they can do everything in the church except be formal leaders and vote in all-church meetings. Something between 30-40% of our formal members are former LDS.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:53AM

Tell them you do not want them to come by any longer. That anyone 'assigned' to be a friend/stalker/spy is not welcome in your home.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 11:13AM

I refused to have home teachers come by when I was fully TBM. I had to get rather firm with the EQP to have my wishes respected, but in the end they finally were. I have always found HT visits to be rather annoying and intrusive.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.