Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 08:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 08:24PM

I just shared it with my parents and siblings, along with the link to MormonThink, but I did it in a long email that detailed my exit process and reasoning. I ended with Carl Sagan's 'bamboozle' quote and then gave the links and asked them to make the effort. My approach was perhaps a bit too confrontational.

You could just say that it is something that has made an impact on you and you'd appreciate if they'd read it and discuss with you. Likely they won't even read it anyway, knowing Mormons.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 08:24PM

</sarcasm>

Edited to avoid being misconstrued

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 08:25PM by moose.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 08:32PM

I've been thinking of something along these lines...

"It's my sincerest hope and desire that as my family all i could ask is that for just once in your lives you would take a moment to honestly investigate the Church and religion that we were all simply born into."

But is that seemingly innocuous statement too confrontational as well for Mormons to handle???

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 08:46PM

It just depends on the person...I said something like that one of my siblings and they took offence, claiming I was saying that they didn't know their religion and were only Mormon because they had been born into it. Of course, they didn't actually know their religion at all, but I think this is a line of reasoning that some TBMs are sensitive toward. They know they aren't well versed in the history and doctrine so they become defensive when called out on it. Also, in their minds you are automatically an 'anti-Mormon' just for raising the questions and they have been conditioned from birth/baptism to tune you out because you are in Satan's grasp, or whatever silly thing they think.

I suppose it also depends on the relationship you have with your family. Maybe you are close with them and they'll at least hear you out. Wasn't the case for me, but I hope it goes better for you. Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 08:47PM by Jesse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.