Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon 4 This One ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 08:40PM

RIP pan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 08:55PM

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:00PM

This is a shame. He was great at what he did and it is a shame that he thought he couldn't go on with life.

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:09PM

I could not stand the guy, his humor was not my cup of tea. However he did some great things for charities and was a good person. Depression is a horrible disease.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 03:16AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyIcz7wUH0

This is the voice of Robin Williams. A piece of his work from Dead Poet's Society, commercialized by Apple.

To the core, it is a message like this that shatters Mormonism and any inclination to abdicate a mortal experience for a proposed sure thing through subjugation.

He contributed a verse. He contributed more than a verse.

I will mourn his loss.

Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:10PM

A very sad day indeed.He brought so much laughter to the world and its heartbreaking to know that in his own personal life there was so much despair that he saw no way out of. May he rest in peace. We will Miss You :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 09:11PM by brokenwings.

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:32PM

When I think of Robin Williams, I think of the fact that despite all of his over the top antics, crazy "star" behavior, & grievous life mistakes, I think about the fsct that he genuinely cared about people.

As for his work, I'm very partial to "The World According to Garp", "Moscow On The Hudson",

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:52PM

He seemed like such a genuinely kind person. When I felt at my lowest in life, his stand up acts could always cheer me up and get me laughing. It is a horrible shame that a man who brought so much laughter into the world was plagued by such horrible depression. I struggle with depression, but even at my lowest I couldn't fathom that a person could feel so low that suicide seems like the best option. It is a shame that we only talk about depression when something horrible happens to someone. Please, if you are feeling low, reach out to someone. So long as there are people living on the planet, there will be a kind ear out there to listen. This board is a wonderful resource - never feel like you can't reach out to one of us. Take care of each other.

RIP, Genie. :(

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:54PM

Noooo :'-(

I was just daydreaming about Mork & Mindy episodes a few days ago :'-(

I saw him perform live once

He always did seem a bit *off* but I never imagined he was so depressed.

I am just a bit heartbroken right now. This is the first I'm hearing of this

:'-(

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:57PM

I remember watching an interview with him where he talked about being an extremely serious child, someone who never laughed or smiled. I wonder if he was suffering from depression even then. I wonder if he really needed the drugs & drink in order to feel.

Date: August 11, 2014 10:08PM

Some people affect a comedian persona to mask their inner pain.

He did profoundly well in dramas.

My very favorites of his

The World According to Garp
Good Morning Vietnam (comedy/improv/drama)
Dead Poets Society
Good Will Hunting
Patch Adams

And I loved, loved, loved Mork & Mindy :-)

Date: August 11, 2014 10:15PM

Edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 10:16PM by lenina.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 10:05PM

I'm struggling with it a fair bit.

Yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds, but please hear me out.

I'm bipolar. Williams has identified as depressed and/or bipolar in interviews. So, for me, it is hard to hear on a few levels.

One, I've been there. I actually came extremely close to ending my life in this spring of this year. So I have some understanding of what that blackness, that torture, feels like. And to everyone who says "get help!" there are so many things I wish I could make you understand. (More about that in a minute.)

Two, it makes me feel like if he couldn't beat it, what kind of shot do I have? I'm not suggesting that fame or money or any of that should solve what ails us, but still. He was so talented and he gave so much to the world, and at the end of the day, he couldn't hold on. I don't ever want that to be me, but I can't guarantee that it won't be, and that terrifies me.

The problem with hoping people will reach out for help is that sometimes, we don't want it. I've had the absolute shit kicked out of me by depression so many times, I've lost count. I've taken my meds and done my therapy and done everything right and it still comes and kicks my ass AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO TO STOP IT. That's the nature of this awful, terrible beast. And there are times where I just want that to be over. People talk about suicide being a selfish act, and I'm not saying that it isn't, but at what point is it selfish to want or me to continue to hold on when the life I live is filled with pain and sorrow and struggle?

Suicidal people also generally TOTALLY BELIEVE they are doing the right thing by their friends and family. They believe they are a burden, they are a problem, etc. It sounds cliche, but as someone who has been there, it's as real as the green grass and the blue sky sometimes.

The only way I can make my point is by pointing at this man. He was so successful. He had a lot going for him. He was so beloved. But somehow, he couldn't see that. He couldn't see past the demons that were his reality, and they won. And even now, when I'm stable and not suicidal, that terrifies me because what if it happens to me someday?

It's easy to say "get help!" "Hang on!" "You're loved!" And I know everyone means well. But I've been in that place before and I know I'm going to be in that place again someday, and what if I don't win?

Date: August 11, 2014 10:16PM

Lily, I sympathize with everything you said. I've struggled with bipolar for 20 years too. You articulated it very well. Other people don't always understand the hidden pain, the mental/emotional/psychological demons. It hurts and it's not fair but thankfully the darkness cycles with light. Ugh. Big huge Hug!!

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 10:19PM

Thanks. It's hard, and when things like this happen, it just makes me feel scared again. I've actually been doing fairly well lately, but stuff like this is just hard.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 01:53AM

I just felt sick when I heard this. Robin was so very talented at what he did - not only comedy, but dramatic acting as well. How very tragic that someone of his caliber felt that he just couldn't go on.

Posted by: ladymoonbeam ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:03AM

lily,,,,right there with you....

Posted by: BulliedToo ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:45AM

Raised in the Marin Cty school system (he graduated two years
before my sister) he was isolated and alone, raised by a single mom (in the affluent and beautiful town of Tiburon) but thrived because of his wonderful mom. He kept himself busy by himself even without friends around. At Redwood High school he was on the track team.

The best memory was when he cut class, waited until the doors were closed and ran down the halls screaming in little old ladies voice "rapist! There's a rapist!"

Well, the teachers ran into the halls but the little old lady Robin was long gone. He so punked them all. He went to College of Marin, then SFSU. I followed his footsteps that way. His mom was wonderful, but probably didn't know about or could have comprehended the level of misery the brutal children of Marin a County's rich assholes leveled upon him.

His brilliance rose above all that. His genius must have confused his moron teachers, who were primarily jealous that they couldn't
afford to live there and too stupid to recognize or educate an intelligent child. That was Marin County in those days. A few years later, my issues with the same teachers were that they were usually stoned.

I miss you, Robin. You got to smoke in the senior quad. Well, he didn't because of track, but he was the coolest of cool.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:31AM

The days on earth will be darker and sadder for losing a great soul but heaven will be brighter and happier. But beware once Robin gets settled there will be more moisture and rain originating from heaven when those above are laughing until they cry and pee.

Posted by: anon 4 this ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:57AM

What if?

What if you came be to known as the One who stopped AIDS?

What if you became the One known to stop Global Warming?

What if God,,,,,doesn't exist?

What if,,,,, this,, life,,, is all you have?

What,,,,, ??

What if,,,,,??

What if this all you have,,,

AND you blow it,,, before you make you Mark, on this World?

Everyone gets to leave their Mark on this World.

Some Great,

Some SMALL,

but Everyone gets their chance.

What IF,,,,

You blow it!??,,,,,,

You decide to stop it, before **IT** becomes reality?

From One who has been there.

Posted by: Anon 4 this part 2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:59AM

Robin Williams,,,,

One who left his mark,,,,

R.I.P.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 07:39AM

Sad about the tortured side of his life, glad for the creative fun loving side of his life. RIP

And the damn Morgbot will soon have him sealed for time and all eternity as Mork and Mindy in the temple.

Imagine Robin Williams doing a standup routine wearing a temple clothes outfit. LOL!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 10:39AM

Instead of am apron he would wear his Scottish kilt and whatever you call it. One of his films, the one about death, showed the varying ideas of heaven and hell and so forth, even the group which believed: "families can be together forever".

Posted by: Eric C ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 09:02AM

Who's going to do his temple work?

Just asking.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 09:41AM

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 09:49AM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 10:16AM

His death is a shock to the world that love him.

Fortunately, this has started a huge discussion about Depression (and other mental illnesses). Hopefully people are becoming much better informed.

I hear people say things that show they are very misinformed which leads to a lack of compassion.

This is a good link to clear up a few things:

Five Common Myths about Depression

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2014/08/12/five-common-myths-about-depression/

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 10:27AM

Are suicides selfish for wanting to end their pain or are friends and family selfish for not wanting their lives chandged by grief?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.