Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mom ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 07:55PM

Many years ago I posted trouble we had when visiting a LDS scout group. The advice on here was to find a scout group apart from the LDS. Many years later now we tried another one and I wish I had taken your advice sooner! It's been wonderful. The leaders are men who either have kids who are scouts or raised kids that were scouts. They seem to really enjoy scouts and are good with the young men. Thank you so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 08:02PM

You're welcome! This board has consistently advocated for non-LDS scout troops where leaders WANT to be involved with scouting. I was a member of a Girl Scout troop that was sponsored by an ELCA Lutheran church, and it was a great experience. I have warm feelings about that denomination to this day. No one ever proselytized to me. They were just a group of very decent, loving, welcoming, family-oriented people.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 11:31PM

I did Mormon scouting in a metro area cult-building. S.M. was a nice guy we generally liked. Thing about it not so nice was on Wednesdays, (long drive rather than other school boys after school or on weekends nearby) at an LDS church, where no fun could be had coming or going.

Posted by: Sometime poster ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 09:02AM

Glad that the nonmormon troup is working for you. Too often, Mormon troups are more about their agenda, and less about scouting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.