Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacktheripper ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 11:51AM

Just curious,

How many people here actually have the Holy Ghost with them? This is a question of: do you, or do you not and why/why not.

I'll start. I don't have the Holy Ghost because I had sex with my ex-girlfriend while serving my mission. Trump that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 10:15PM

He was never with me. I was sometimes with him- except when he was 'bad'... or, in his mind, good. I usually had to protect him so I kept him on my shoulder, and wispered in his ear what was on the road ahead. We've had a good ride but I finally dumped him. Too many failures. I never even caught his name. (Probably a damn Mormon)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 10:27PM

I'm the holy ghost buster !

No more holy ghost for you !

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 10:29PM

I suppose it boils down to who/what is your understanding of the third person of the Trinity. And, let's get rid of the Elizabethian language--I would describe the Holy Spirit as God's creative power throughout the world (no stones from my atheist RfM friends, please). According to the Bible the Spirit wanders where it will. Interesting how the similes of fire and wind are associated with it...

So you had sex. Mormonism teaches that the HG will leave you if you commit sin. Well, even if sexual experiences were sinful, do you really think that great artists, musicians, etc. lead the lives the Mormon HG would approve of? I think most folks would agree that highly creative individuals tend to live unique lives.

So, get off your tushie, Jack, and do something fucking amazing with your life! As someone MUCH smarter than the Boner noted, genius has a way of showing up in the most unexpected places. Standing tall with you, Boner.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 10:38PM

Ever notice that TBM's never talk about instincts? That would be because they call their insticts the holy ghost, that way God gets credit for yet another thing that he didn't do.

So yes, I still have my instincts, as I am sure Jack still has his. It was probably the prompting of the holy ghost that told him to nail his ex-girlfriend while on his mission.

Date: August 26, 2014 10:46PM

Are you suggesting the Boner doesn't have instincts? WTF!

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 12:00AM

Amen, Green Potato! A-effing-men. Nail on the head.

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 11:20PM

I have actually murdered Jesus Christ, according to Jeff Holland, so, no, I don't have the Holy Ghost I suppose.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1998/10/personal-purity?lang=eng#8-

I remember many stern warnings that BIC morgbots have no idea what darkness and misdirection would fill their lives if they ever lost the Holy Ghost. Because they've always had it, they don't recognize what an amazing gift it really is.

Date: August 26, 2014 11:24PM

So, do we really give a fuck what Jeff Holland says anyway? Maybe you've got more spirit than you think! But then again, I'm just a boner, what the fuck do I know?!

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 08:28AM

Does Holland think organ transplants are abusing the souls of others?

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 11:24PM

I don't have the Holy Ghost with me today because I lusted after a coworker.

Date: August 26, 2014 11:26PM

And you being a direct descendent of Brigham Young! I just hope it wasn't the bishop's wife in the previous post! Boner.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 12:02AM

What holy ghost?

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 12:12AM

When I was being confirmed (at the traditional eight years of age), the circle of bodies around me made me feel like I was invisible but could still see out. sort of like a two-way mirror. I could just glimpse a boy who often teased me in the front pew. I stuck my tongue out at him. Right in the middle of the confirmation. For some time after that, I had this terrible fear that my gift of the holy ghost never stuck since I couldn't even get through the ordinance without sinning.

Date: August 27, 2014 12:48AM

Lols... I was worried about the effectiveness of my patriarchal blessing because I was asked which suburb I was born in... I gave the name of the hospital I was born in, except I am hopeless with names so I gave the wrong name, so on my patriarchal blessing it said I was born in a suburb that had nothing to do with where I was born.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 01:11AM

I just pictured all of your blessings lying in some cosmic dead letter office.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 01:10AM

Haha On my mission we taught a family the lesson about the Holy Ghost and the parents got mad at us because that night their 4-year old girl ran into her parents bed screaming that the Holy Ghost was in her room!

They didn't have us come back, but I don't know if this was why.

Date: August 27, 2014 01:35AM

If you believe that the holy ghost exists then it logically follows that good and evil spirits exist too, therefore reports of seeing "ghosts" must be true, therefore reports of seeing big foot, the lach ness monster, UFO's etc must also be true. The "great comforter" to me is knowing that all such things (good and bad) are not real and that the laws of physics are always obeyed, with ZERO magic of any sort occuring in real life.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 12:29AM

You mean the Holy Guilt?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 07:05AM

Why would this one guy in the God business be devoid of a body when the rest of us have that?

The Holy Ghost is a creepy presence. I worried about having him in the bathroom and in by day and night dreams for years. I'm relieved to know there's no such thing.

I don't go to church, pray, read scripture, pay tithing or follow the WofW so Mormons would say I'm deprived of HG guidance. I say "GOOD!"

I have better sense than the Holy Ghost or those who depend on that figment for their focus in life.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:32AM

The third most powerful being in the universe is a g-damn pansy. A human 3 yr old has more courage and moral fortitude. All someone has to do is say any expletive and the h-ghost runs off offended and in runs the spirit of anger, contention, confusion and every other silly evil spiritual minion without a shred of opposition from the whimpering H-ghost.

Cheezus is dead on. The Holy ghost is just another tool of guilt built from thin air

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:39AM

My how easily he is offended.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:59AM

Holy Guilt is right. Yet one more way to make you feel bad about yourself. When I was TBM I thought I was probably not "worthy" to have the HG with me a lot of the time. You know, because I watched a rate R movie or said a swear word in my head. The holy ghost sure is sure a judgemental dude.

No, I don't have the "holy ghost" with me because it's make believe.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 10:15AM

I believe that we are given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This does not necessarily mean He is always present but His influence can be felt if we want it. When we need Him and go to God sincerely in prayer it is the Holy Ghost who answers. This is my belief and comes from a man who for years denied the existence of God after living within the LDS church for thirty years. It took me thirteen years to finally resolve my anger and turn again to a belief in the Trinity. I now attend a truly Christian church.

I respect all of those who post on this site. I do not know were you all are in your recovery so I allow a lot of latitude for many of the posts I read, but one peeve I have is the disrespectful comments I read that demean posts of those who do believe in God. Hey, lighten up! Some of us do still believe in a power greater than ourselves.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 10:35AM

I believe in a higher power. I'm not sure what or who (if it is a who) it is, but I do tend to believe in some kind of higher power or being. That said, I don't believe there's some "ghost" spirit floating around warning us of danger (but only if we're "good"). I have no problems with other people working that out for themselves. I do agree that sometimes it seems those that believe in God are disrespected.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 10:30AM

I would rather have Jiminy Cricket (I mean the dude from Pinocchio, not the poster on RFM. Though perhaps the poster from RFM would be a good companion as well.) than the Holy Ghost. If you get yourself into trouble the Holy Ghost runs away, Jiminy Cricket sticks around and gives you advice.

Posted by: Ausguy ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:01AM

I got a blowjob from my girlfriend on my mission in the mission prezs wife's car. And had sex heaps of times, I win

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.