Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:37AM

http://www.cracked.com/article_21630_6-tricks-i-learned-as-faith-healer-for-scamming-you.html

Check it out. Most of the article doesn't directly apply,but two points stand out. One is the notion that God has to be told when to help people. The other is the emphasis on blaming the failures on the supplicants' lack of faith (conditioned on your faithfulness- where have I heard that before?) when the miracles don't happen.

Enjoy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:56AM

Also, the gleaning of information before giving the blessing reminds me of patriarchs.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 12:10PM

Religion is perfect for people who want to do things but not have to make it actually matter. There is zero accountability for the claims.

If something fails, oh, well...god works in mysterious ways.

I think it is strange when people ask for prayers. I guess if you have enough people praying, that really gets God's attention. He likes the popular people who have lot of asking on their behalf apparently.

What are they thinking? Enough people praying are going to persuade God to act? They want God to know they all are thinking and worried about someone? Does God say, "Wow, I would have healed him but he only had 6 people praying for him."

I relate asking for prayers as a act of feeling helpless which of course we all face once in a while. It's nice to have the support of others, but why the God thing? Do they believe in a god that fickle?

Religion is THE preferred mechanism for gullible people to be taken advantage of. They are trusting. They don't check facts. They don't question.

Follow me and get your reward in heaven. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.