Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ComTheo ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:30PM

Several months back I contacted membership records about removing my name. I heard nothing back. No reply.

Then today, I check my mail from Saturday and guess what!? A letter from the church inviting me to see their new movie, Meet the Mormons.

The only way they would have my new address is from me contacting them about my resignation. That's it! No ward records or anything as I have moved out of the last ward I was active in.

Unbelievable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:34PM

Wow. That's funny!

Don't they get that you already "met the Mormons" and that's why you are resigning?

Maybe this is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:36PM

Don't understand this movie. Why not just show it on BYU-TV? No one other than TBMs are going to watch it. Is shown it at any theaters outside the Morridor?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:44PM

There are lots of ways they could have your new address, demonstrated here on a very regular basis by people who didn't think LDS inc could find them. They are persistent.

You should have called them two weeks after initial contact to see if they got your resignation. They do sometimes get lost in the shuffle, and they are normally punctual on sending out the Please Come Back pamphlet, which serves as your receipt that they got the resignation.

Not too late. Call them tomorrow. If they don't have your resignation, resend. You too can be persistent.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 12:45AM

If you have to write another letter, do so. And DO NOT use the term "name removal." That's THEIR phrase. Call it what it is: RESIGNATION. As in, "I choose not to belong to this organization any more."

You may have been lost in the shuffle somewhere, but don't let it stop there. Persistence wins the game in this one.

Good luck!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:02PM

I'd contact Greg Dodge office and make a few threats.

Posted by: Anon tonight ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:12PM

My niece was contacted by missionaries and the R.S. president a couple of days apart and she chewed them both out for coming after 9pm unannounced. The R.S. president asked if there was anything she could do for my niece. My niece replied that she could give her the information required to resign from Mormonism. The R.S. President responded that my niece would have to talk to the bishop. If the R.S. President passed that request onto the bishop, he's not done a thing about it. So much for helping the members. It's almost like the hotel California: So easy to get in but so very hard to find anyone who will help you get out.

I've told my niece what she needs to do to resign but I don't think she wants the hassle. I also think she believes she was forceful enough that they will not return. I told her not to count on it. All that will happen is a new R.S. president will one day be assigned to her and/or a new set of missionaries will come to town. Game on.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 12:48AM

The film is supposed to be a proselyting tool, so they may just be mass-mailing. Everyone in your ZIP code might have gotten the same thing.

The unacknowledged resignation, on the other hand, might need a follow-up.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 01:51AM

Write them back and say, "meet the non-Mormons" and learn the truth! Say, "if I wanted to meet the Mormons, I'd go to hell", or a Mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.