Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:02PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_jLR3KaATUM

http://www.lightdocumentary.com/prahlad-jani.html

More info on Prahlad Jani, Indian yogi who takes neither solid food nor liquids. Can a person live on light?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 08:09PM by hello.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:23PM

You should try it and then return and report.

He spins a story like unto Depak Chopra.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:31PM

I won't be trying this, William. I am a drinker and an eater.

But I do find it interesting that humans can derive energy from subtler sources than gross foods and liquids. I do take energy from air and sunlight consciously, which has improved my health and well-being.

Who is the "who" that you refer to, that spins a story? Mr. Jani, or the author of the page? Mr. Jani's claim is simple-goddesses appeared to him, and took away his need for food and drink. Somehow, through pranic nourishment, he was able to grow an adult body that appears to be very healthy. He does seem to be aging tho, but his eyes look amazing.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 08:45PM

Some people can live for years without food or water. This has been scientifically validated. Some people can levitate by meditation. All of this, however, has nothing to do with Mormonism.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:03PM

it is really so disapointing that the mormon church doesn't have mystical miraculous events like this in every ward, or at least stake. Being, trying to be, the one true church, should bring tremendous evidence such as this, all over Utah. It just should be occurring (I am shaking my head) it is so disapointing

to be raised in the wrong faith that teaches- doesn't teach this
Where are the skills taught! Why not here, its a whole church ready to be taught, oh look what the pioneers were willing to do.
But no- new lesson manuals, build a mall, wear underware. That's it?

I am so disapointed. (former tbm ) Born in the wrong culture again. darn it-

do you think they'd teach me is it too late, did I waste too much time in the one true church oh God no

Date: September 01, 2014 09:40PM

Yes, it is disappointing, but the truth is, they just don;t have the skills to teach, other than to pray.

But don't fret, you are still alive, and you have more time to develop spiritual skills, if that is what you really wish to do.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:23PM

Nonsense. You cannot live without either food or water for any extended period of time. You can live in ideal conditions (not too hot; no exertion) for about 2 weeks tops.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:37PM

Actually, if you read the page linked, doctors expect that death will occur in the first week, not after the second. This is why they only needed to "test" and observe Mr. Jani for ten days, to check his vital responses. He should have shown evidence of critical breakdown before the first week was past. That is why they were shocked, because he continued in good health.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:39PM

I'd be more impressed if he had been kept for 4-6 weeks rather than 10 days tops. There are plenty of people who survived well, in ideal conditions for 10 days.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:45PM

I'd like to know more about these people, can you link me to some info? And after ten days with no food or water, what condition were they in, barely surviving and critical, or healthy?

But assuming that this lifestyle is achievable, which I believe is true, and results of successful transition can be accomplished in ten days, which I also believe is true, then why would Mr. Jani need to be observed for 4-6 weeks? What's the point of that additional time?

Date: September 01, 2014 09:47PM

To understand if the "lifestyle is achievable" you would need to do an honest test that lasts longer than a period of time that has been shown to be survivable. Simple as that.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:49PM

hello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to know more about these people, can you
> link me to some info? And after ten days with no
> food or water, what condition were they in, barely
> surviving and critical, or healthy?

Date: September 01, 2014 09:53PM

Since you are the one claiming it's doable, I'd rather you pointed out to me the many cases of persons living for years without food or water.

Date: September 02, 2014 05:52AM

Without some specific examples, I can have no clear idea of what sort of people and experiences you are referring to. It is vague to say that "plenty of people" have survived ten days without food or water. Since it's your claim, then you must have the evidence, cuz I don't know what you even mean.

Even among the so-called breatharian crowd, I know of only two people that claim that they have transcended even fluids (altho many claim to have stopped eating foods). But of course, my knowledge is limited. There are others who are unknown to the world at large, or known only in their region, that no doubt practice this. Some of these people have also appeared in youtube vids, but I don't remember everything I've seen, so I have no names. But Prahlad Jani has become well-known due to these studies, and Gabriel Sunfire is another. And it took Sunfire many years of effort and discipline to arrive at this stage, it was not given to him by a goddess.

Still, I would like to see some examples of people who have had no foods or fluids for ten days, even if only by personal claim, and who have remained healthy in spite of all. People who drink their own urine while lost in the wilderness can survive fairly well, but without the urine, my understanding is that people die of dehydration in the near term.

Mr. Jani remained in good health thruout and to the end of the period of the studies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 07:46AM by hello.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:51PM

I don't think anyone can live for very long without food and water. That's stupid.

Posted by: Vibhan ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:42PM

This guy was proven to be a fake. His story is a complete hoax. There is a documentary about the fraud.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:46PM

Watch the vid, read the page. He was not proven to be a hoax, he was merely condemned as such by James Randi and his ilk. Please show the proof.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:45PM

Levitation through meditation does not occur. Neither does survival without food and drink.

Date: September 01, 2014 09:48PM

Well, Tal, that settles it then... ;)

Posted by: joesleftnut ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 09:58PM

Yep, levitation and humans living for extended periods of time are both real and scientifically proven. That's why both skill sets are taught in military training the world over!

Oh what a minute, that isn't the case. The most advanced militaries in the world still wastes billions on food and technology to avoid land mines. The fools!

Date: September 01, 2014 10:43PM

The Indian military also did a separate ten day exam of Mr. Jani, and they basically found the same result as the doctors at the hospital. So yes, the military is interested in this.

However this state is achieved, it is obviously esoteric, and not well-understood. It will likely not translate well to mass military use. But it should be studied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 10:45PM by hello.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:16PM

Grateful that this "technology" is NOT available for egoic co-opting.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 12:05AM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:04PM

Even plants need water and nutrients. Animals can only use sunlight by consuming plants or animals who eat plants.

Anyone who says he is living off light is either a plant or a liar. If his skin is not naturally green, he has no chlorophyll and therefore go with the latter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 10:04PM by axeldc.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:14PM

It's on the Internet; it must be true.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 10:50PM

The hallmarks of anything considered proven is that it is:
a) describable; and
b) reproducible

Until this guru's methods can be documented in sufficient detail to permit somebody else to replicate them, it is unsubstantiated speculation.

Date: September 01, 2014 11:08PM

Who can describe how he "heard" his last quartets while being totally deaf? And certainly no one, deaf or hearing, has reproduced them. Where are the "how to" methods that permit you to replicate these works?

Date: September 01, 2014 11:25PM

Way to non sequitur.

To your first point, *other* people could hear them and document them, and attempt to reproduce them.

Moreover, Beethoven could write down the notes to permit others to play his music. They could, then, reproduce it.

"Proven" != something that happened. Proven means something reproducible, and describable.

Date: September 02, 2014 07:35AM

Sure, the music was written down, allowing others to play it, but I meant B's original "hearing" of it while composing deaf, and who has duplicated that (with comparable results)?

The point is, there are extraordinary individuals, say creative geniuses, and nobody has reduced their accomplishments to a formula that anyone can follow and rise to their level. Even when these people were teachers, gave lessons, or left pedagogical texts, who has used these to reach the same heights?

The idea that your average human should be able to reproduce extraordinary accomplishments by following a laid-out formula--this is a strange way for science to determine if something's real or not. (I doubt that this reduction IS the basis of science, by the way.)

Date: September 02, 2014 09:19AM

You seem to be confusing artistry with science. I don't dispute that there are creative geniuses, but their genius still operates within the bounds of proven science. The fact that Beethoven could make acoustics do things no one else could doesn't invalidate various proofs regarding harmonics, oscillation, and sound.

As far as what science is, yes, it *is* reduced to exactly what I described.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproducibility

Date: September 02, 2014 07:31AM

The fact that he is able to live this lifestyle himself, demonstrated under close observation, is also a proof, at least that such a thing is possible. Other people arrive at inedia thru other means. Some sungazers have come to inedia, altho they may take water.

The current scientific wisdom is that humans cannot live without constant inputs of breathed air. Yet I have lived without breathing for several hours at a time, once up to ten hours, on many occasions. I do so daily for short periods, as part of meditation. With this experience, should I then still agree that man cannot live without breathing?

Other yogis also do this, some whom I know personally. Many report this experience. It is an ancient spiritual tek. But even if I have "proved it" only within myself, to myself, it still is a proof that it can be done, to me.

So my thinking is, if one can live without air, then it's likely possible that one can live without food and water as well. One just needs to access sufficient energy from subtle energy sources to power the body. Mr. Jani's example tends to support this theory.

Other yogis have been studied scientifically while in samadhi, the trance of divine union. With zero respiration, and zero heartbeat, and zero motion of the muscles, the yogi seems to be in a state like death, a suspended animation. Yet, the yogi comes out of samadhi, and resumes normal metabolic functions.

Every day, more people learn to meditate and perform this skill of samadhi. They are able to reproduce the samadhi state after sufficient instruction and yogic practice. Sometimes yogis in the Himalayas stay in samadhi continuously for months at a time. Of course, without food and drink. Then they resume normal eating and drinking and moving about.

It's a big universe, there are infinite possibilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 07:40AM by hello.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:39PM

that man lies

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 01, 2014 11:46PM

Didn't bother to look at the site and waste my time. Simple physics. Every act of living, including breathing, heart beating, and especially movement expends energy.

No, a person cannot live on light, as the body can't convert it into energy. That requires food.

Date: September 02, 2014 07:09AM

scarecrowfromoz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, a person cannot live on light, as the body
> can't convert it into energy. That requires food.

I think the addition of air is important to living on light. Nitrogen taken in from the air is used in the body to create proteins. Other gases are used to makes carbs. Small amounts of energy inputs from sunlight may trigger synthesis of organic molecules by means of hemoglobin, which is an exact copy of the chlorophyll molecule with only the chlorophyll exchanged out for iron. Fresh air and sunlight exposure are keys. There are many subtle energies that I believe that Mr. Jani is accessing, as solar radiation is very complex and still poorly understood. And of course, he feels he is receiving energies directly from a divine plane. This too is light.

Jani was carefully observed at all times for ten days by an attentive, high-tek, well-trained medical staff at the best hospital in Gujarat, Rajasthan India. Kept in a room, he started to lose some weight, but he gained weight after taking a sun bath on the roof.

Date: September 02, 2014 11:57AM

Can you describe the process whereby "Nitrogen taken in from the air is used in the body to create proteins. Other gases are used to makes carbs?"

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 12:55AM

This thread is a bit of an interesting social experiment, hello.

I'm reminded of the scene in Groundhog Day where Phil and Rita are in the diner, and the conversation goes as follows:

Phil: "How do you know I'm not a god?"
Rita: "Ha! Oh, please!"
Phil: "How do you know?"
Rita: "Because it's not possible!"

Date: September 02, 2014 05:58AM

Yeah, great reference!

the great universal truth- "It's not possible!"

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 07:37AM

My husband and I were watching an Episode of "Monumental Mysteries" about a mining accident in 1909. The men survived the final EIGHT days of their confinement in the mine had no food nor water. They survived. They were weak, but alive. So, yeah, you can live more than a week without food or water.

I wouldn't want to, though.

Jani was only left alone to bathe...in WATER. Gee...I wonder if he had any? Hmmmmm...

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 08:37AM

Some of these yogi guys can slow their heart rate and presumably their metabolism considerably, that would probably stretch out the amount of time before one died of thirst and starvation. I am not however, willing to concede that he has fundamentally changed the biochemistry of his cells, making them able to harness energy from the sun like a plant, after reading a website that looks like an ad for miracle vitamin supplements

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 08:38AM by ladell.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 11:46AM

If the dude turned green sprouted leaves out of his a$$....maybe...

Ron Burr

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 11:45AM

Life is too short to waste time reading about mystical idiots...JMHO

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.