Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: charliecollyer ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 05:07AM

Does anyone know where I can get detailed floor plans for the Meeting Houses and Stake Centres? I've tried accessing the ones on this site - http://aec.ldschurch.org/aec/standard_plans/Heritage98/ - but I don't have the passwords to access them.

Does anyone know of any good sites? Particularly for Stake Centres.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 06:51AM

What do you want them for?

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 06:55AM

You may be able to get copies from your local government. Building plans are required to be on file to obtain building permits.

I hope you want these for some legitimate purpose, such as designing a video game map, and not for anything illegal.

Date: September 03, 2014 06:56AM

I want to make a CGI model of them for a screenplay I'm doing about LGBT Mormons at my university.

Date: September 03, 2014 07:00AM

I hope it's considered legitimate :) I'm doing a screenplay for a television serial about two lesbian Mormons and their investigation into Church history - Joseph Smith's life, Creationism vs Science etc.

I tend to make models of the buildings in Sketchup and as physical ones so that I can work out script details and then use CGI sets for the backgrounds since I won't be able to film in a real Meeting house.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 07:20AM

OK, because this is only for theatrical purposes you don't require exact measurements and so you could probably go inside with a camera and take some footage. That would provide you with enough qualitative detail that you could build convincing CGI models.

You might be able to get a tour of the building from the local missionaries or from the stake PR representative. You can given them some BS story about how you are studying the architecture of various churches, or the sociology of public worship or something like that. You will seem more credible if you already have footage or completed work from other religious buildings.

If you do go inside to take footage, make sure you ask questions about whatever art they have and get some shots of that too. It will dress up your CGI models and make you seem even more legitimate.

Date: September 03, 2014 07:45AM

I go to the church each Sunday so I have loads of photos of the buildings there. My plan is to mix and match designs from different wards to get a unique ward.

I study religious architecture as a hobby, and have already done a design for the outside of the LDS Temple featured in the film (Minecraft is very handy for this). Since the inside of the LDS Temple isn't shown at any point it's been easier to design.

Getting measurements is much more difficult, primarily as the script depicts a Stake Centre whereas my local ward is an office renovated into a Meeting House. My nearest Meeting House, in terms of one built for the explicit purpose of serving as one, is about thirty miles away but thankfully I have images of that from when I went around just before a friend's son got baptised.

Most of the people there were okay with it as they thought I was designing another Meeting House/Temple complex with the intention of giving the design to the church - a tempting idea but physically impossible to send. ^^

It helps that I'm a Transwoman and a Hindu too as most people tend not to ask too many questions :P

Date: September 03, 2014 07:45AM

I'll try and find something through the local government but I'm not exactly sure how I'd do that.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 10:21AM

Date: September 03, 2014 10:28AM

Uhhh...

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 11:33AM

charliecollyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uhhh...

Uhhh... I assume you missed the point.

if you did not get the pic..

It's a TRAP!! just like Moism

Date: September 03, 2014 12:45PM

Oh right. I came on here for floor plans and thought you were trying to be serious hence my confusion...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.