Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 03:33PM

https://careers.ldschurch.org/public/jobdetail.aspx?jobid=115873

"Your employment in the Church is not a calling, but it is more than a job"
Elder David A. Bednar
https://careers.ldschurch.org/Public/Search.aspx

So if a job with LDS Inc. is not a calling but more than a job what is it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 03:37PM

It's not a job, it's a career. Meaning they get to pile extra hours and tasks on you, since you think you're on your way to something bigger and better. And you'll think that until the day they fire you.

Date: September 16, 2014 03:42PM

LOL! It is more than a job. It is a chance to be even more expendable because you are working for an organization you already are a paying customer of by covenant!!!

What other employer only hires people who have promised them everything they have even their lives to this employer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 03:43PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 04:47PM

Not a calling but more than a job?

It's a "jolling"......or maybe a "callob"?

Date: September 16, 2014 04:58PM

If I could hire to callob!

Man is that he might have a jolling.

Posted by: lemmie ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 10:19PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I could hire to callob!
>
> Man is that he might have a jolling.

Omg, ordinary day then such funny stuff, thank u!!

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 05:14PM

Actually, this is funny. I have known two totally separate people in my life who were recruited to work for the LDS church because of their skillset, and who decided against going to work for the church. In both cases they were later called to the exact same position as a calling. One of them was, I know from direct testimony, an unpaid "calling". I don't know about the other but I suspect it was also unpaid. Sadly in both cases the brainwashed individual took the "Calling".

Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 05:26PM

That is the weirdest job ap I have seen. I see it is full time but temporary. They are asking for an intelligent genius in the IT field but the do not list the software needed for the job,or hardware either. Must exhibit intelligence in the interview and be temple worthy? The whole thing is an oxymoron. Thanks for sharing Elder Berry.

Date: September 16, 2014 05:31PM

anon2day Wrote:
> The whole thing
> is an oxymoron.

This is why I posted it. After reading the Job details I was like, "Would a "genius" take a job like this?"

Only a cult could offer this and get some takers.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:06PM

I think the ad copy may just be eyewash for the public, showing how "hip" and "with it" the techies and nerds at ChurchCo are.

Or, some big shot's kid is in line for the job already and they just posted something weird and only semi-intelligible that a lot of potential candidates won't bother with in applying.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:12PM

Did you notice there were no dollar figures $$$$$$$ mentioned ???

JB

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 06:44PM

That's because TSCC pays below standard for IT jobs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. A veritable butt-load of people I used to work with at Novell went there over the years. I've been recruited by them. Full-time roles always pay lower than any other job, but they always seem to be hiring. They do pay more for contract workers, but they try to quickly turn those into full time roles.

Additionally, this is an entry-level position... 0-2 years experience. You wouldn't be able to afford brand name mac & cheese working for this salary + being a full tithepayer.

Plus you'll be subjected to obnoxious ecclesiastical interviews in your home ward and much gospel handwringing and devotionals at work.

No thanks.

Date: September 17, 2014 03:03PM

Yup, the local "leaders" can get away with more abuse of church employees, who can't just walk away from a temple recommend.

Date: September 17, 2014 04:49PM

It is a setup for unrighteous authority. God is great!

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 07:18PM

You see Elder, they're a duality between job and calling...

The job part is that you put up with the same old sh!t that occurs in everyday life; the calling part--you may not refer to it as sh!t--simply say, challenges.

The job part is some of your co-workers are pricks and they drive you nuts; the calling part--you may not refer to them as pricks--simply say, fellow TBMs.

The job part is to fucking deny exactly what TSCC is having you do--you simply say, I'm doing the Lord's work.

Lastly, the job part is to keep your temple recommend so that you have a job; the calling part involves anonymous postings on this site laden with prifsnitues and making secret trips out of Utah to take advantage of the freely flowing liquor.

Finally, the job and calling intersect and you say, "Fuck this sh!t, no job is worth this!" Elder Boner.

Date: September 17, 2014 03:06PM

Excellent comment, Boner, and any "prifsnitues" were entirely called for.

Posted by: anymoo ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 07:43PM

Maybe it's for Apple computers (you know, the Genius Bar).

And that's pretty bad, the part about deciding not to work for them, but then end up getting a calling to the same thing.

I'm supposed to meet with someone tomorrow, to discuss my first calling. I'm thinking that regardless of what it is, I should probably refuse.

Is it gonna be toilet scrubber?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 07:51PM

From the ad:

"This position is typically taken by Jr or entry level contributors."

But you have to be a *genius* Jr or entry level contributor.
And you have to be a "worthy" mormon.
And you have to be willinig to work for peanuts.

I'd bet real money they'll find people who fulfill all of their requirements except the "genius" part.
Of course, the applicants will all *think* they're geniuses...but really, who can believe in the church and be a genius? :)

Date: September 17, 2014 12:59PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Of course, the applicants will all *think* they're
> geniuses...but really, who can believe in the
> church and be a genius? :)

Maybe a socially awkward authentication and security savant who just follows the religious orders but is a technical Nazi returned missionary?

Cults have been known to have smart people in very narrow ways.

Date: September 17, 2014 03:08PM

The Nazis used lots of authentic geniuses, and some of the even joined the party.

Date: September 18, 2014 01:37PM

Yep. And Germany hemorrhaged a bunch of bona fide geniuses during the Nazis from their abuses. I imagine LDS Inc. is doing likewise.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: September 16, 2014 08:48PM

I work in IT. I can't make heads or tails of what they're looking for with this role.

"brilliant problem solver" and "aptitude for authentication" tell me they're looking for somebody to architect an identity solution. Like Active Directory or some other federation solution, maybe?

Then I read this: "second tier support to our customers", and it's a customer support role.

Support personnel generally are not the ones that architect and design the solution. And they want a Junior-level person?

There just aren't a lot of people fresh out of college with experience in solving identity-solutions related problems. It's an unsexy part of IT that is dealt with only at an enterprise level by organizations that hire experienced, enterprise-capable developers.

I know a couple folks that went to work for the church, then left shortly afterward. Apparently the insurance and retirement plans are decent, but the pay is poor, there's the 10% tithing hit, and the work process is unusual. As in, they pray over coding problems (I shudder to think of what the output of that process is).

I always get a kick out of people that think church IT is going to mandate some super-special process (like a Church search engine, or filters, or whatever else). Church IT struggles to keep the MRS and Internet links to the chapels functioning, they're not really equipped to bring anything new to the market.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 17, 2014 02:49PM

"...there's the 10% tithing hit..."

Not knowing any official church employees, I've wondered: do they save you from the temptation of sinning by making tithing a payroll deduction?

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 05:01PM

I know just the guy, well, he OD'd at burning man two years in a row, but he has great people skills

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.