Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perky ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 07:29PM

Are church leaders and LDS Inc automatically notified when your recommend expires?

Are expired rec holders automatically added to a list?

I know they scan your rec when you enter the holy edifice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 07:46PM

Local leaders check periodically. I dont think there is any automatic notification system.

They just go through the records every now and then and if anyone is not to date they track them down for an interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2014 07:46PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: pickle ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 08:02PM

The wards and stakes can run a report on their computers to see who is endowed and who has a current temple recommend. It is part of the stats that leaders look at a lot. They can also see who is a full tithe payer. Salt Lake has access to all of this information as well.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 10:36PM

Date: September 19, 2014 02:30PM

okay - thanks - darn cult

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 08:19PM

I've wondered if now, when they scan you into the temple, it gets checked against a database. I know it wasn't always that way.

When my TBM brother got married in the SLC temple, I was already inactive -- but nobody knew. Not my brother, mother, or pretty much anyone else. I wanted to go to the wedding, but my recommend had expired. This was 1981. So I went. Put on my garments (I'd taken them off a few months before), put on my missionary suit, and showed up with the group going in for brother's wedding.
The temple worker asked to see my recommend. "Oh, no, I must have left it in California!" I pleaded. With me were my brother (high priest), step dad (stake presidency), uncle (high priest), and a few family member elders. The worker looked at me, I said, "I just got back from my mission 7 months ago..."
He looked at the faithful priesthood holders with me, they all piped up, "Oh, yes, he's a faithful, worthy member of the church."
"OK," he says. He writes down my ward and bishop's name, and off I go -- for my last temple session ever.
I don't think they ever checked with my bishop back home. If they had, he would have told them I had turned down a calling, and told them never to call me to anything again, because I was leaving the church.
Probably couldn't get away with that nowadays, with the computerized records. :)

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 08:32PM

Now it is definitely checked against a database. I assume it has been for a long time.

What I want to know is whether or not they keep track of your temple attendance and where you go. I really wondered about that when I was using an out of state recommend of a member that was currently back home in her state. Our back up plan was for her to say it was lost/stolen if someone ever came and checked up on her about it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 10:47PM

My temple recommend was stolen out of my luggage. That was the only thing they took! I have no idea why they would want that. I didn't bother to report it stolen. I seldom went to the temple because I lived so far away. I kept it in my luggage in case I ended up someplace I would want to use it.

I don't know what became of that recommend. It was stolen in a country that didn't have a temple. Go figure.

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 12:58AM

They can also "deactivate" any recommend at any time. So, a person can't say his/her recommend has been stolen and get a new one, without the old one being deactivated (through the church database).

Date: September 19, 2014 02:30PM

Yikes - thanks

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 01:50AM

I sincerely lost my recommend. I had it when I left for my niece's temple wedding, but it wasn't in my purse, when I opened it at the checkpoint at the guarded entry. They would not let me in, and two Tongans approached. They asked me the name of my bishop, and they told me to wait in the holding pen, while they called him. It was getting close to wedding time, but finally they reached my bishop, who said I had a recommend. They didn't believe me, but I was just a lone woman, without a man--and was not a male in a missionary suit, accompanied by other "suits."

Yes, that was my last time, ever. The old Geezer at the entrance and the Tongans must have sensed the evil in me.

The bishop called me into his office, a month later, and asked me if I had been to the temple lately. I said no, that I had lost my recommend, and didn't really want to renew it. He then pulled my recommend out of a drawer. Someone had found it and turned it in at the temple. He said he wasn't going to give it back to me, and I said, "It's good for a year, isn't it?" He said, "Have you paid your tithing?" I said not until January. He said my attendance was down, and I had quit one of my callings. I explained that I was ill, and was soon going to the hospital for treatments. He said that if I didn't keep my callings and pay tithing, that I would get sicker. I said, "You are threatening me. I don't believe God would be that cruel."

I knew when I said that, that TSCC was not God's church, and that bishop and his stupid temple had nothing to do with God. Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to wake you up.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 01:38PM

Were you "let in". Did you get to attend the wedding? How about those else in the family? Are they stunned?

They will have fingers or iris scans one day. Or an honor-trust/ you wouldn't lie to the Lord system. A simple app, id, call, quick reference pad of paper with your dear name on it. Do the handshake.

It's easier to get through hell the Mormon existence. Scary Romans? I mean Tongans. God, and all this glory, will smile come on in, as if you were Jesus Christ yourself: because isn't that the point.

They are mowing the grass with dull blades, old motors and worn out (God's) welcome.

The best way to slap the Mormon Church is to leave it. Then pat yourself on the back.

I'll pat you back

Mat

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.