Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:17PM

My son in his early 30's, married with 3 kids was contacted recently by a cousin he hasn't seen in 20+ years. We used to live in UT and this cousin was born a month after my son. We moved away when the two of them were small children. There was very little contact between them while we lived in the same town in UT and almost NO contact for that last 30+ years. This young man recently sent my son a letter which was so sappy as to be ridiculous.

As an exmo we know what the intentions are. My son has his own beliefs (he is not Mormon and has no intention of being one) but the letter was so weird that he felt he had to tell me about it. So inappropriate on a number of levels. Not the least being that in reality, he really doesn't even know this person.

Clearly my nephew is trying to win my son over to Mormonism. Why don't Mormons realize that people can tell how phony they are?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 10:47PM

Too bad you got the TBM version of this. I reconnected with a cousin after about that long when I came out and left the church because I knew he'd taken that route a few years before--what a huge support it was. We're far closer now than back in our TBM BYU days.

Posted by: June ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 06:13PM

Maybe the cousin has good intentions. I have cousins I don't know because of problems with our parents but I would love to reconnect with them and see if there could be a relationship mostly because I see how close my husband is with his cousins (regardless of religion) and I feel like I missed out.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 07:44PM

The fact that this huge TBM family has no idea of the meaning of the word "cousin"...no idea what a cousin is or even a shadow of what it means to be a good one.

I know I did not go into detail about the letter but, rest assured, due to other circumstances that I cannot describe here, his intentions are to spread his Mormonism to my son.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.