Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:35PM

First they announced it at the beginning of Sacrament meeting. They after the Primary finished their Sacrament program. The last time was at Priesthood. The morg has told the bishops,stake presidents etc.. it's not a missionary tool. With a title like "Meet the Mormons" who's fooling who!!?? They are begging everyone to please go see this movie. To me this just smells of desperation on the morg getting people back into the cult.

I'd rather go see "Gone Girl" or "Annabelle" over "Meet the Mormons". Besides "Annabelle" looks a little fake too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:37PM

marketing

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:53PM

And, why WOULDN"T a cult want members to watch their propaganda film?

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:04PM

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:26PM

A TBM family member posted about this on Twitter and said, "It's getting EXCELLENT reviews and I want all of my friends here in [US state, not in the moridor] to come and see it in [local theater]."

The excellent reviews are only from her Mormon leaders.

The friends she is inviting are all Mormon.

No one else cares.

LD$ inc knows this and this is much more about reinforcing the narrative among TBMs against the huge amount of negative info out there about Mormonism.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:36PM

thewhyalumnus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A TBM family member posted about this on Twitter
> and said, "It's getting EXCELLENT reviews and I
> want all of my friends here in to come and see it
> in ."

"There are no critic reviews yet for Meet The Mormons. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!"

"There are no featured audience reviews yet. Click the link below to see what others say about Meet The Mormons!"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/meet_the_mormons/

Fandango (http://www.fandango.com/meetthemormons_175726/moviereviews) shows 3 reviews, all from "fans," and all obviously mormon plants.

No actual movie critics have reviewed it.
Oops.

edit: actually, Fandango now has one more review ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 03:41PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:39PM

It was produced by the church, for church members. OF COURSE they want their members to go see it. Helps not only the church's bottom line, but also hammers home the idea they are trying to promote right now: all Mormons are normal; Mormonism is wonderful, all the time; Mormons and Mormonism are exactly like all the rest of the religions and people in the world.

Of course, this is a very different message than what they promoted when I was a kid, that of:

Mormons being different and special, a peculiar people; being worthy not worldly. Mormons are set above and apart from everyone else, but especially so as compared to other Christians, because Mormons have the truth and one and only gospel, so all others are not only mistaken, but inherently evil.

We're Mormons, not Christians! is what they used to say.

Now it's, We're Jesus Twins, you and me!

Oh golly gee, which is to be believed?

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:18PM

haha! You are so right!

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:45PM

Yeah, it's obviously targetted at non-mormons.

Why would TBMs need to watch a film called "Meet the Mormons"? They already know what mormons are like from first-hand experience, they don't need a film to tell them what mormons are like when they live with them and meet with 100+ of them each week at the very least.

However, I do think it's a good thing that the church isn't going to have missionaries there. If some non-mormons do watch the film then they won't feel pressured to start having the discussions, hopefully.

I think the main reason the church wants all the members to watch the film is to make it look successful. Honestly, if one million people watch it (which is entirely possible), I'll admit it's impressive. I'll be interested to see how it does. Either way, I don't think it'll have much of an impact (positive or negative).

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:45PM

My vote is to direct as many TBM's as possible to the BBC documentary by the same name. With any luck, many of them won't realize the difference until after the movie is done....and walk away wondering why the leadership directed them to such a downer of a movie (from a mormon's perspective).

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:02PM

Not a marketing tool and mentioning it two times in "Take Your Friend to Sacrament Meeting" Day?? ;)

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:12PM

Is this really a movie? One that will actually get play time in a theater? I'm waaaaay out of the moridor and down in the bibble belt. I get really tired of the christers telling me to go to the latest movie that will change the way I think about Jeezus.

Apparently there is a lot of money to be made down here by showing these.

Date: September 22, 2014 02:16PM

Here is a link about it. It's a rather bland website.

http://meetthemormons.com/#/filter-all/page-1

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:19PM

Well heck, the closest theater to me is four hours away in Atlanta. I will be in Sacramento, CA, the weekend it opens, though. It I had more time, I'd suggest that we get a group of ExMos together and go as a group.

Date: September 22, 2014 06:14PM

My TBM family will be in California when it comes out.It's going to my town's movie theater since it's morg owned(yet they show R rated movies from time to time). So far my old city in California their only movie theater isn't getting it..

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:17PM

if you don't pay good money to see this movie then you are being controled by satan.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:19PM

Satan will give you a flat tire if you decide to drive anywhere else other than the movie theater.

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:35PM

I find it icky that "the lord's church" needs to do marketing campaigns.

They need to redo their hymns too, I would suggest:

"We are normal, we are normal"

"Oh what is polygamy, we ne'er knew such thing"

"I have a best friend that is black"

"Jesus, thou maker of non-facts"

"We are trying PECULIARLY hard to fit in"

"WE don't know that we teach that, Ohh, we don't know what we teach!"

"Oh platitudes of my heart"

"Women, pant in hand, skirt on loin"

"Don't ye touch it"

"Tithing first, tithing second, you last"

"If I could hie my corporate sole"

"Oh thou profit of our mall"

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:41PM

I can not wait for this movie to show up on Rotten Tomatoes and get slammed....

Mormons will wallow in the Rotten Tomatoes persecution

Posted by: toast ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:44PM

why do I get the feeling the only people that will go see his movie are Mormons. Once again the church taking money out of members pockets.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:50PM

You know every YM and YW group will be forced to go to this. I can't imagine making people pay to watch your commercial. Even if they're existing customers.

Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:57PM

This film makes me sick, you know why, now everyone who is a TBM on my newsfeed on FB is going to post about it for days. Already my uncle liked the official FB page about it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:58PM

When are Mormons EVER going to realize that their constant self-promotion and stroking themselves for their goodness and righteousness is NOT appreciated or admired by those watching. They think the more they promote how wonderful they see themselves as being, the more people will want to be like them. When in reality, Mormon self-congratulatory behavior is received with either a yawn or a smirk. No one is ever impressed by a show-off and people can spot hypocrisy a mile away.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:00PM

Looks like they scheduled it only in the morridor where they can expect to fill the theaters. Watched the trailer. I recommend you watch it on an empty stomach.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:04PM

I think only Mormons will go see this movie, and it's not playing anywhere in my area. Even if Mormons do as they're told and try to request a screening, it's not that likely to happen because most of the art theaters cater to non-Mormons by showing more R rated movies that often have a limited release because they're more intellectual. One theater in particular even has art exhibits by local artists that might offend Mormons because the current exhibit is of black and white photographs of nudes. Even though I thought those nudes were tasteful in that no genitals were shown, I could imagine that Mormons would find them to be offensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 03:06PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:06PM

Could this be some kind of test for the new and improved missionary force to see if they are working on facebook and pulling people into the churches.

I just got to thinking it would be a really good test to see if word spreads fast enough to make changes to things they and the members do in the field.

Got tons of money? Make a movie that of course no one will see but mormons and see if the marketing force and mishies can generate enough butts in the seats?

Just thinkin

Date: September 22, 2014 07:36PM

If it's a kind of test, I wonder what's passing!??

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:13PM

I love reading Rotten Tomatoes and have relied on it for a long time for reviews of movie I might want to see.

I'm going to enjoy reading the reviews once this masterpiece is released.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:18PM

Why not just release it to video? I haven't been to a movie in years. What's the price of a movie now? $10? Who but mormons want to spend that kind of money for this movie?

If the movie does not show what goes on in the temple, then it's a lie. Plain and simple! The church likes to pretend it's "normal", but there is nothing normal about the temple.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:30PM

Posted by: Bombadilgirl ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:36PM

Said it before, I'll say it again, I'm waiting for the sequel, Meet The Whore Of All The World. 1 Nephi 14:10 clearly says there are two churches, the Church of the Lamb of God, (Mormons) and the whore of all the world. Can't wait until I get asked by family or coworkers about seeing their movie, I'm sure their shocked expressions will be priceless!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.