Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 08:51PM

I've watched the recent Duggar 19 kids and Counting marathon.
I liked a few of their teachings and decided to research.
I discovered that they don't disclose to the tv viewers that they adhere to the teachings of Gothard who is involved in what's known as the Quiverful movement. Gothard is submerged in a sex scandal but that should be more than predictable at this point in our recovery journey.

I liked the article and drew a lot of parallels between mormonism and the Duggar cult.
In the end both the Duggars and the Mormons are extremely shiney on the outside but deceptive as all heck.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/656002/

by the way, the article photo is not of Vyckie, but of Mrs. Duggar. (for clarification.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2014 08:53PM by joan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 20, 2014 08:57PM

I was going to post about the similarities between the Morg & the Fundies, because IMHO, they are exactly the same. But posters shut me down saying that I didn't know what I was talking about. They said that "Christian" fundamentalists are not weird or judgmental or shunning or legalistic or in a cult. Yeah right, they're not.

Date: September 20, 2014 09:42PM

Well, to be more specific, the Duggerites, lol, aka the Gothard Quiverful movement aren't necessarily considered Fundies cause they've branched off into an even more radical group than the fundies (yeah, if that's possible.)

The point is that if people truly adhere to live the teachings of the bible, and fundies tend to preach that they adhere more than any other group, well, these are the points they adhere to and Vyckie Garrison points out how the biblical details point to a cult which can and has led to a patriarchal type of abuse system.

Date: September 20, 2014 09:46PM

and, you've found posters who are defending their cultural system. Pointing out the similarities hits too close to home and the wall of defense goes up. Fear of identifying the dysfunction from the bible culture isn't an easy thing to let in. Fear is a mighty wall of defense.
I've seen it quite a lot. :)

Posted by: anymoo ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 02:08PM

you probably need to make a distinction between fundies and christian -- they're not one and the same. fundies are radical and yeah, just like LDS church, you have to believe as they do or you're going to burn in hell.

Date: September 21, 2014 02:32PM

anymoo: >you probably need to make a distinction between fundies and christian -- they're not one and the same. fundies are radical and yeah, just like LDS church, you have to believe as they do or you're going to burn in hell.>

Sure. The fundies and the mainstream Christians use the same bible that contains the same info, but for sure Christians generally have a different way of living it. They kinda avoid all those scriptures.

Mind you, I have a lot of mainstream christian relatives and if I were to tell any of them that I do not agree with the biblical God and that I do not believe in a new testament Jesus, I can guarantee I'd be given some type of hell fire responses.
Try it and see how far you can push a Christian during a conversation without bringing down some type of fires of hell. or perhaps the modern disapproval is to be un-friended on facebook. lol Definitely their view of you will be dubious from here on in. the response will likely not be a real warm one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 02:34PM by joan.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 02:36PM

I don't know of any Christian who would talk about hell fire. Okay, maybe one. I guess it depends on where you live and who you hang out with.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:49PM

They do it lots here in PA, and this is no little, dinky place I live in.

Episcopalians and Presbyterians alike. This happens when they ask me where my church home is, and I say the only one I know of is the Catholic senior high rise, over by the mall.

I am neither a Catholic or a senior citizens, and they know it.

They don't actually SAY hellfire, mind you. Well, one did, once. The actual words were "You, my dear, deserve that special place in hell reserved for you".

As for the others, the look in their eye sure tells me they would say it, if they didn't think I'd retort with something else equally hilarious.

FWIW, I think any person, any church, any religion, which damns others to hell for not agreeing with them, is already there, in this life. Right now.

Date: September 22, 2014 05:29PM

Yes bookratt, the evil eye response is probably the most annoying.
The responses are not always verbal and sometimes the responses are, "that's not what the bible or Jesus teaches."
Now I know enough about the bible to know that if it's not what the bible or Jesus teaches then the person is left with one alternative - it is what Satan teaches. And we all know where you're going when you follow Satan.
Some of the responses are inferences but it's the same thing anyway you slice it.
Impossible to have a reasonable conversation with anyone who embraces this sort of thinking.

Posted by: nevermo in moland ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 01:30AM

I tried the same thing, and got the same reaction. I was in the Southern Baptist church in the deep south (any further, and you'll end up in the Gulf of Mexico). They hunt you down if you move, show up at new visitor's houses unannounced (to 'save' you of course), will not remove your membership even though you joined another denomination, you have to tithe pre-tax dollars, the husband is always right, women have to submit to their husbands, etc, etc, etc.

People said my experience was just in that particular church. Um, no. It was in multiple churches in different cities. I can explain even further, but really don't want to talk in cirles. Believe me or not, I just want to point out that there are a LOT of similarities.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 03:55AM

I actually thought the Duggars were Mormon when I first heard about them.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 02:35PM

So much of what Vyckie says is true of "righteous" Mormon families, too. Even worse is the home in which the husband is on a personal power trip excused and abetted by religion and culture; extreme male privilege is just God's reality. The concept of emotional abuse doesn't even register with men like that. I saw a lot of my former TBM husband in her article -- except that he wasn't even trying to be godly, just issuing orders because he believed he was the "king" in the home and we were supposed to be his obedient subjects.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:59PM

I cant stand the Duggars. No family is that perfect! They never argue, fight etc like other families do. It's like a facade for the public. There's not a snowballs's chance in hell their that perfect. It's just a image like the morg is trying put out with "Meet the Mormons".

Posted by: rracer ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:50PM

Most of what I am about to say in this post most people know or was covered in the original article.

The Quiverfull Movement is considered to be a very very fundamental side of Christianity, and is not really endorsed by any particular denomination and that includes Mormonism.

At a glance, the Quiverfull Movement and Mormonism are NEARLY identical.

As stated in the article, followers of the Quiverfull Movement firmly believe that the Husband is the head of his family, and remains as such until either the girls are married off or the sons leave home (IF they leave home, more on this later).

The Quiverfull movement is not embraced by any major denomination because it has been proven that it can be very harmful to the development of children. Case in point, a majority of the Duggar children that are above the age of 18 STILL live with their parents.

Most psychologists believe this happens because the children are brainwashed from the beginning that "Daddy is never wrong, what daddy says you do without question".

Most children who are born into the Quiverfull Movement are home schooled with a very censored "christian" home school curriculum. What you are NOT told is that most public colleges and universities WILL NOT accept a "high school graduate" that used this curriculum. It's been demonstrated that most "high school graduates" that used it actually only have the education of a 13 year old.

Most mormon children attend public school, and nearly 90% of them are true high school graduates. Granted most of them will either go on a mission after high school or will go to BYU to find their future wife or husband.

Most children born in the Quiverfull Movement will NEVER attend college, or will receive vocational training at a local technical college. When a girl born in the Quiverfull Movement chooses to get a career, it is usually in some form of nursing, midwifery seems to be the popular choice of girls in the Quiverfull Movement these days.

The divorce rate in the Quiverfull Movement is very low for the simple fact is the women realize they have no where to go, too many children to care for without help, have little to no work experience, and realizing that the real world is not going to help you unless you ask for help. Some actually have the courage to escape like the women that write that blog.

In conclusion the Quiverfull Movement is unhealthy no matter how it is practiced.

Date: September 22, 2014 05:39PM

The Quiverfull/Gothard's believe that they are protecting their children from the world and raising a quiverfull to counter against the world.
Mormon teachings aren't all that different although less restrictive in their application.
Mormon culture promotes differences in various ways.
the basic cultish comparisons are there.
ATI homeschooling vs BYU and Idaho.
Well, it's an embarrassment to have BYU on a persons CV. You can get a job with a BYU degree but then one has to explain it. lol.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 08:59PM

I've never looked into the beliefs of the quiverfull movement but I find it remarkable how similar the duggars behave to a Mormon family. Everything is "perfect" but you can easily see that it's not. The father is clearly a control freak and he reminds me of many bishops/stake pres/mission presidents that I've known. The mother speaks very much like a female you'd expect to hear in general conference. The children tow the line without question. A perfect "little" family. Although I am familiar with what's underneath and it is very clear that all is not well in Zion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.