Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 11:21AM

On this board it seems like the LDS has taken over all the scouting in Utah. has anyone ever heard of the scouts doing community projects like clean cemeteries, or parks or water ways?
here in the coastal west, our Girl Scouts get their picture in the paper for helping to clean the beaches by sifting the sand and removing cigarette butts.
Well, the boys did their part too, along with thousands of volunteers who were not identified by wearing any logos on tee shirts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:25PM

There are non-LDS scout troops in Utah and they are a LOT better because they are able to raise their own money and are not constrained by LDS budget nonsense. The scouts are generally a lot better behaved than Mormon scouts too, because they want to be in scouting, whereas a lot of LDS boys have to do scouting because it's part of the church program. I did Cub Scouts several times back in the day and some boys took to it like a duck to water, no problem. Others would never have chosen scouting if it hadn't been forced upon them and were understandably discipline problems, bouncing off the walls with boredom. I did Girl Scouts at the same time and they were much better behaved, not just because they were girls but because they chose to be there.

And we did do service projects with the Boy Scouts like picking up trash on the beach and cleaning/washing the tables at a nearby public park that is closed in the winter months - getting it ready for all the summer business. We also made a lot of quilts and fleece blankets for homeless charities. Some scout groups cut corners on what they consider service but we tried to get out there and do something with our boys so that they'd learn real service.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 09:35PM

In LDSInc troops are there as a calling. Not because they have a love of and knowledge of the program. I believe this is why we see so many accidents (including really stupid ones like setting up a tent under a power pole) happen. Boy Scouts are not a choice but a calling/chore/responsibility.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 08:15PM

Do not confuse Girl Scouts with Boy Scouts. While the names are similar, the organizations are vastly different. Girl Scouts have never been co-opted by LDS. They have allowed openly gay leaders for many many years, they emphasize strong independent girls and women, and a strong emphasis on service. I have been active in both organizations as both a leader and parent. I found the Boy Scouts (non-LDS troops) to be far too militaristic and command oriented. The good troops had a very good boy-lead model, and they do get a lot of boys outside. These days I can't support the Boy Scouts due to their stance on gay leaders.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 08:29PM

In a lot of ways, the Girl Scouts are the antithesis of LDS "training" of young women. I have actually heard TBMs deride the Girl Scouts, too- Saying that they are teaching too much independence from "the straight and narrow path" of Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.