Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 01:50AM

Has anyone here ever run across any historical quotes, journal entries, etc. that describe Brigham Young's voice, accent or speaking style?

On a related tangent, who was the first profit to have their voice recorded?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 11:56AM

I think the earliest recorded voice of a "Latter-day Saint prophet" was Wilford Woddruff in 1897.

http://youtu.be/cw9loxWW0is

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:45PM

He's a mean lookin' old fucker ain't he?

Ron Burr

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:53PM

Young sounded like Joseph Smith when he spoke to the members at Nauvoo after Smith's death. Simply put, he could imitate voices.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 04:00PM

I seem to recall a quote that actually said BY was an excellent "mimic". The quote wasn't in connection with the accounts of him sounding like Joseph in Nauvoo. Most of these accounts were recorded decades after the actual event, so who knows if BY was imitating Joseph and the story was exaggerated over time, or if the whole thing was just made up.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 01:25PM

I'm pretty sure he sounded like Jerri Blank (strangers with candy)
or Angela Gossow (death metal band Arch Enemy).

I can see him ranting about not loving your family more than the church in Jerri's voice, or giggling over killing his wife with a javelin in Angelas voice.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 03:50PM

BY's "Journal of Discourses" went through a thorough editing process and the course language and bad grammar were edited out. Here's one extant example of his actual words as he delivered them in a sermon. He actually uses the word "sh!tpot" in his sermon.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=rbpe&fileName=rbpe17/rbpe176/1760210c/rbpe1760210c.db&recNum=0&itemLink=h?ammem/rbpebib:@field(NUMBER+@band(rbpe+1760210c))&linkText=0

If my TBM wife were to hear this talk at church she couldn't leave the building fast enough. Yet some how she's so insulated that she could never consider that BY could have said these words.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:26PM

Gee, I gotta git me some of them "fornication pantaloons"!

Oh wait! I think jeans may qualify.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 07:29PM by seekyr.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 09:50PM

Me thinks he speaks of crotchless panties. Makes for easier fornication. It is well known that Brother Brigham used rough language. I've heard it said that he stopped with God damn, unless of course he was talking about the damned gentiles.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.