Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Resmar ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:28PM

I was looking at this MP announcement, and was shocked to learn that the new MP of San Diego will be a 40 year-old man (he's at the bottom of the list):

https://www.lds.org/church/news/eight-new-mission-presidents-called-to-serve?lang=eng

Is the Morg getting desperate? Is it harder to find men in their 50s and 60s? Or has this guy been groomed, possibly with some connections to the suits in the COB?

As a side note, the San Diego mission is known for having MPs that are more well-connected. The MP from 2005-2008 was Boyd K.'s nephew, and the next mission president was a CES muckity-muck. San Diego is also where the powers at be chose to film the missionary training video "The District."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:30PM

What a bummer to be 40 and a mission president

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:35PM

Not for this type of guy. He's in heaven and the toast of his entire family and LDS social group.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:37PM

And living an incredibly boring life devoted to the propogation of BS

Posted by: anonymouse2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:49PM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:33PM

I wonder how they will handle the wife situation. Missionaries aren't allowed to be alone with any females under 50. Or, is his wife older than him?

Posted by: Resmar ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:37PM

Unless they've changed the rules recently, missionaries aren't supposed to be alone with any female period. That was the rule when I was out several years ago. I turned down plenty of nice elderly women who invited us in.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 01:53AM

Missionaries are never alone with the MPs wife anyway.

Unless they're having sex.

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:34PM

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:49PM

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:56PM

What's his job or career that allows someone so young to serve!??

Date: September 24, 2014 09:22PM

He's a lawyer for Baker Hughes. Baker Hughes is one of the world's largest oilfield services companies. It operates in over 90 countries, providing the oil and gas industry with products and services for drilling. His wife is a medical doctor.

Righteousness = Money? or Money = Righteousness? This guy may be alright. At 40 he is certainly on his way to the top of the LDS corporate ladder.

Many of the real Christ-like people I know, and have known in the TSCC were never chosen to lead anything if there were people in the ward who had more money. Jesus Christ Himself would never be a leader in the Mormon Church. Hell, he couldn't even attend BYU Idaho according to Kim B. Clark. Dust your feet off Jesus and burn this church down!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 09:34PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:54PM

Doubting Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's a lawyer for Baker Hughes. Baker Hughes is
> one of the world's largest oilfield services
> companies. It operates in over 90 countries,
> providing the oil and gas industry with products
> and services for drilling. His wife is a medical
> doctor.
>

Hmmm...Are the TX oil tycoons & TeaPartiers sending their "agent" man to connect with SD/SoCal local repugs for the upcoming elections-2016?

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:57PM

They've heard the ExMo complaints about stodgy oldsters running the show. A new young and vibrant look seems to be in their plans, the company's new and improved' product. It fits in with the younger missionary ages. This may be a way of keeping the younger members more interested in staying.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:06PM

So?????????????

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:12PM

I'd like to be in the sessions where they assign people to different church career tracks!

Inspiration? Not Much!

Date: September 24, 2014 09:16PM

No they love these young guys with money. It's all about money.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:30PM

Well, he is a stake president AND an ATTORNEY. Next logical step for this guy is to be a mission president and then a GA.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:40PM

Yeah, it's not just MP at 40, he's currently a Stake President, formerly a Stake President's counselor, a high councilman, and a Bishop. Based on all that the guy was likely a bishop in his 20's.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:46PM

My mission prez was 33 when he was called. That was 25 years ago.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:15PM

I knew a mission pres that went at 40-42.. he lived in my ward growing up and about 6 months in to his sentence I got a letter from him telling me he had stolen my 8 track tape player and 8 track tapes 25 years earlier.
He asked for forgiveness, repentance and wanted to send me some cash to make it all go away. Guess he couldn't sleep at night knowing he stole my Santana, Steppenwolf and Buffalo Springfield tapes.
I was tempted to mess with him but in the end I never replied.
Somewhere I have the letter on Mission Letter Head. If I find it I'd share.

Posted by: Lurker73 ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:23PM

A bit surprised his wife is a medical doctor. About 20 years ago my second mission president was called at about 36 as I remember. He was a career church employee though who had been over training at the mtc.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:59PM

My MP in 1969, Sherman Hibbert, was barely 35 when he was called to Brasil. His wife, Joanne, was 30. He was a lawyer and former Army ranger. I've written about him before so won't repeat but he was a piece of work. I heard later he'd been sent home early due to overworking himself (and his missionaries). Lots of guys from his era really hated him.

He was home about 10 years and passed away from cancer, really quick and painful from what his wife said. She came to the last mission reunion I went to, about 1985 and told his story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 12:01AM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 12:09AM

This could be interesting. The fact that she is an MD and a gospel doctrine teacher to me are very strong indicators that she thinks the church is bullshit. I've known many of that combination over the years and they are more than usually NOT true believers. Wonder if she thinks her husband is a goofy bastard for being such a Mormon? Wonder if he believes it at all?

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 12:18AM

https://www.lds.org/church/leader/l-whitney-clayton?lang=eng

The President of the Toronto Mission will be Weatherford Clayton, younger brother of Whitney Clayton, of the Presidency of the Seventy and chief architect of the Yes on 8 effort by TSCC. Weatherford was Newport Beach SP at the time the Newport Beach temple opened. He closed down his OC OB practice and moved to Utah to start an OB Hospitalist group, a group of OB MDs who deliver babies in hospitals so that the office OBs can sleep. Since he no longer has a practice per se, he can serve as MP and then return to work for his group afterward (though there would be competency issues because he might be rusty after five years of no deliveries----hospitals expect docs to have high volumes otherwise they think skills are slipping).

Posted by: anon Anglo ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 02:18AM

Richard M. Eyre was 32 when he was called and that was almost 40 years ago. His wife had a baby whilst they were on their mission.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 04:06AM

If he's this young as a Mission President there's maybe a chance he could become an Area Seventy or General Authority later on.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 04:30AM

I served under 2 MPs back in the 1960s. Ages 38 and 40 iirc. One is still alive, almost 50 years later.

Posted by: Classical Guy ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 10:47AM

And from the same article in the OP there is this other new mission president:

William Weatherford T. Clayton, 61

Who is he?

1) Previous Stake President in Newport Beach, CA (next to the temple) and

2) The younger brother of L. Whitney Clayton, of the Presidency of the 70 (he has had his second anointing).

Remember: Whitney Clayton was part of the threesome (Elders Cook, Ballard and Clayton) that pushed the CA Prop 8 in the LDS sponsored video to kill marriage equality. After the PR disaster, Clayton was re-assigned away from California. He looks to be self-grooming for an Apostleship opening. Now his little brother is working his way up the ranks. Nepotism with Clayton the younger?

As we all know from our RFM poster Anointedone (AKA Tom Phillips), a previous stake president at sufficient age can receive his Second Anointing BEFORE he becomes a Mission President. After Philips received his SA he wrote that he was preparing to serve a mission (Mission President). http://www.mormonthink.com/files/tom-phillips-second-anointing.pdf

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 11:22AM

Whitney was appointed to the Presidency of the Seventy AFTER Prop 8. As you correctly point out, this involved moving him away from CA, where his actions caused tremendous fall out and bad PR for TSCC. It was as if they were promoting/rewarding him for his work, while moving him away from an area where his presence was deleterious for TSCC.

Weatherford was Newport Beach SP during the run-up to the temple there. It caused enormous controversy due to the original design's non-adherence to city codes, with the following changes made to "the Lord's design" before the city would sign off on it:

1. No lighting after 10 pm (parking lot lights, yes; temple, no)

2. No pageants or festivals

3. No white exterior; color changed to a buff pink-tan called "seashell"

4. Sidewalk on Bonita Canyon Rd preserved; no fence taking up the sidewalk which would preclude protesters on public property (the sidewalk).

5. Original spire height 149 feet. City said no. The Lord dropped the plans to 129, city still said no. TSCC argued that spire had to be taller than adjacent stake center spire, which per TSCC was 86 feet. Neighbors hired surveyor, height of stake center spire calculated as 68 feet; TSCC then claimed typographical error. Church offered 99 feet, city said no. Finally, an offer of 89 feet was accepted.

The original design was very close to the Redlands temple, which was announced the same day and which has the same footprint (sq ft). The Redlands temple was permitted by the city with few or no changes, and the main difference between Redlands and Newport Beach is exterior color and a much shorter spire. And no late night lighting.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 11:53AM

Only requirement is being rich. There was a new mission president that was in his 30's when I was in the MTC. Not sure where he was going, but he had young kids...like 1, 3 and 5. I wouldn't be suprised if they had another couple kids while they were on the mission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.