Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 09:32PM

My son is a senior in high school and has a girl type friend who swings by the house to give him a ride to school after seminary each day. Last week she came by a little early because she wanted to take him back to the church where seminary was giving out free donuts. When son got there, he realized that - like in every Mormon activity - there was a catch. In order to get your free donut, you had to take a page photocopied from the D&C, highlight the passages that were meaningful, sign it and hand it back to the teacher in exchange for your donut.

So my beloved smart aleck highlighted every time he saw the word Saints, signed it Drew Brees and got his donut. I was pretty sure he meant it when he said his new religion is football but he certainly confirmed it. That's a relief.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 09:57PM

Nice to see the kid knows how to learn the system and make it work for him :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 10:54PM

Usually he has a protein shake but I'll let him slide this time.

However, when I was growing up and going to early morning seminar, we seemed to have donuts all the time. This was before all the budget cuts so maybe there is a good side to the church being cheap. Donuts are now just a treat, at least in this stake.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 11:23AM

I like that story. It reminds me of one of the things I did one year in seminary. They made us set a goal, write it down and then see how good we did at the end of the year. They were thinking spiritual goals but did say it could be anything. So, being more interested in girls than scriptures, I set a goal to go on at least one date every weekend.

I was so proud at the end of the year when that goal was met! Plus, it was a blast!

There are several things like that which I've adapted from mormonism/scouting to things they didn't intend but which are really good ideas. Like always being prepared. Love the boy scout motto. Be prepared. I am, I always am. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.