Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 07:19PM

I've seen pictures of it on the internet, but it's done in what looks like two ways.

The first looks like a regular handshake, but the index finger is pointed.

The second is the thumbs connected as in a regular handshake, but all fingers are straight, touching the wrist of the other person.

Which one is right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phillip ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 07:22PM

pinky and thumb interlocked, index finger touching wrist.

Posted by: Whatever you want it to be ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 03:30PM

I've read your piece regarding the real pass grip of a mason.

You said that you would remove this whole page if you would be proven wrong...

Well - here goes... Instead of telling people to prove the peace that you posted as incorrect, people should rather look at the layout of the post that you provided. I frequently found the lettering of the script to be skew. I'm certainly no expert, but in my opinion it appears that the script was manipulated to provide a misrepresentation of what is really written...

Care to comment on that?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 07:45PM

Mormon temple handshakes

http://www.nowscape.com/mormon/handshake.htm

Masonic handshakes and five points of fellowship
http://www.ephesians5-11.org/handshakes.htm

Of course the temple rituals are right out of Masonry. Joseph Smith Jr became a Mason like his father and brother about six weeks before he came up with the temple ceremony/rituals.

Mormons will say that Masonry corrupted the original Solomon's temple rituals (which is false, of course) and Joseph Smith Jr restored the correct ones.
They believe they are doing restored, correct, temple ceremony rituals-as part of the endowment ordinances.
I used to accept the LDS Church's explanations. But not anymore. They simply do not hold up to scrutiny.

Beliefs - the great placebo!
Facts are not necessary. Only faith in beliefs.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:00PM

The wonderful thing is, there is no evidence that the temple of Solomon even existed. All the evidence in the ground suggests that Jerusalem was just a cow town at the time of David and Solomon. When a temple finally was built, they didn't learn handshakes. They barbequed goats in it.
A friend of mine who is a mason said the purpose of the handshakes was to find work. The masons with the advanced handshakes got to lay up the block at the main entrance. The masons with the basic handshakes laid block at the back of the building.

Back to the thread, once I made the decision, there was no doubt in my mind. Once I left, I have never for once considered that the crap the church teaches might be true.

Date: December 02, 2010 09:17PM

Phillip said that the patriarchal grip is different than in the second link that SusieQ#1 gave.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 09:27PM

I didn't check the order, the names are different. As I recall, Philip is correct, as best as can be described. See the photo's in the first link I borrowed from another thread on the board. It's the correct one for the temple.

It's all rather silly, in my view. As a young adult convert, I have never been big on rituals anyhow.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:54PM

http://packham.n4m.org/token4.jpg

It is similar, but not identical, to the "Real grip" of the Master Mason, which is given by taking hold of each other’s right hand as though you were going to shake hands, and sticking the nails of each of your fingers into the joint of the other’s wrist, where it unites with the hand. Sometimes called "the lion's paw." Good drawing at http://www.ephesians5-11.org/handshakes.htm (scroll down to "Real Grip of A Master Mason)

The "Second Token of the Melchizedek Priesthood" is given by clasping the right hands, interlocking the little fingers, and placing the tip of the forefinger upon the center of the wrist. Called the "patriarchal grip" or "sure sign of the nail."

Date: December 03, 2010 12:26AM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 01:03AM

Date: December 03, 2010 09:23AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:28AM

Funny that. I had a tryst with an exmo gal long ago and after the deed I gave her the patriarchal grip. Without missing a beat, she asked "what is that?"... with a grin I said "the second token of the Melchizedek priesthoed. The patriarchal grip or sure sign I've been nailed".

That is all.

Ron

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:52AM

Posted by: ink ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 01:15PM

I had an interviewer do that to me with a quizzical look on his pasty old white face. I guess his G-sensing skills were confused by my plain white T-shirt under my jacket and he wanted to know if I was the Right candidate for the position. I turned them down.

Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:36AM

Great one Ron, that cracked me up.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:14PM

Seriously. I'm curious what Mormons really think the significance of these handshakes are anyway.

To me it seems more like a secret club password thing than it does a religious thing.

Do most Mormons think this is ok, not think about it or think it's weird?

Do they do the handshakes anywhere else but in the temple ceremonies?

Posted by: angeybabey ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 04:55PM

My 1st husband and I went to the temple with an older couple in the ward and when I saw the older man in the hall at church shortly afterwards he gave me the handshake. It(and he)gave me the creeps!!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 08:48PM

except that Hobbes would admit the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:15PM

isn't the finger extended to the palm during a hand shake a gay signal that you would like to hookup and get nailed?

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 10:14PM

Wow! Thank you SusieQ#1 for the mason links. Even the dialog is similar. I've heard apologetics with regard to the BOM, BOA, polygamy, polyandry, theology, etc... I guess I haven't discovered a work about the temple ceremony and the specific comparisons to Masonic rituals. I haven't heard the apologetics for the temple ceremony as well.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 10:52PM

the big 15 need patriarchal poligrip.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 02, 2014 12:05AM

Why Mormon Temple"Worship" makes no sense:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1392088

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 02, 2014 01:01AM

The grip on my little wiener in the tub.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.