Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 03:18PM

From a TBM Facebook post today:

"Have you ever wondered how FamilySearch is able to offer its enormous services and access to records for free? It’s because we are funded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which holds family to be extremely precious and dear."

Yeah.....SO 'precious and dear' is family to TSCC, that it promotes an environment of shaming spouses, siblings, parents, and children for THINKING!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 03:19PM by thewhyalumnus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 06:02PM

day that all members get to use ancestry.com free NOW and that others have to pay $800 a year?? Is that it?

What, were they charging members beforehand? Obviously not enough were signing up.

But, yes, they really care about family.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 06:55PM

$800 a year? What are they having people pay that much money for??

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 07:00PM

So any mormon making more than 8 grand a year actually benefits financially from leaving?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 06:50PM

I took a quick look at the site and it says you can use it for free. For how long or what you get to look at, I'm not certain. What I would be weary of is what the church does with information non-mormons supply. Will it try and contact non-mormons? Use info about dead relatives for temple rituals? Who knows?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 07:32PM

Our ward will send notices around, especially to the youth, that it's their turn to clean and "show appreciation for the building we've been blessed with." Yeah, blessed by the people who extorted the money to build it from you in the first place. They think the church gives them so much when, in fact, they are the ones that paid for it.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 03, 2014 09:06PM

Our county library system subscribes to Ancestry.com, so any library member has free access. I imagine many library systems do the same.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 10:03PM

True here. All libraries in the townships and boroughs of Pittsburgh, PA, offer ancestry and proquest/heritage quest free of charge for all members who register and pay $1 for an annual library card.

You can log in from home, using the library-provided password and log in.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:12AM

Thanks for mentioning that. I will see if my library does the same.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 11:10AM

I will believe the church is soooooooooo generous once it opens up the financial books to the members about where the money GOES.

TBM's are paying out both ends.

RMM

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 11:13AM

If you look at senior "service mission" options, there are a lot of jobs at FamilySearch.

Posted by: Mags ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 10:30PM

800.00 is nonsense. it's 300 and change for the top level in ancestry.com.

It has always been my experience back in the years when I was in the church and worked in the genealogical library that the non members were far more substantial than the members; in attendance, in accuracy, and thoroughness. They weren't trying to hurry up and get names for temple ordinances. They were really interested in Genealogy as a hobby and they took their time and made sure their work was as accurate as possible. I still do family history because it is interesting to me. I recently used family search and found the people to be very helpful as everything is different from the days when I first used it and since I am no longer a member, I am not allowed access to temple ordinance dates which is not a problem.

I pay 300 and change a year for my membership in ancestry.com but I don't pay tithing

Posted by: Esther W ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:46AM

There are some errors here. Ancestry.com is a company not part of the church, so they can charge what they want. The Mormon church made a deal with them so data could be accessed and, hopefully, more accurate down the road. Just sayin'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.