Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 12:11AM

One of the things I've noticed since I've mentally left TSCC is how at General Conference MOST of the speakers sound the same (except the foreign GA's).

With the women is is especially noticeable. Tone, cadence, vocabulary... what is it?

I can't stand it. When anyone does sound different, it's a welcome change, no matter how repugnant the topic may be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: YBU ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 12:13AM

But none of them sound different at all. It is like they all were taught by the most terrible speech coach on earth. ICK I just hate the tone that they take. It makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:36AM

Maybe they're robots??

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 09:03AM

I bet BY was not as boring as today's church leaders when they speak. Its like they take lessons on how to give very unexciting, uninteresting and very similar sounding talks.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 09:08AM

Perhaps President Newsroom is writing all of them. Aren't we familiar with authorship research? Apply it to today's products, as well.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 09:29AM

In the old days, they did sound different. The in the 90's the church media took over: Power ties, super suits, Richard G. Scott began whining while looking directly at the camera, etc. They talks in the old days had substance, whether you agreed or not, they had chutzpah. Balls. The new generation GA is a Stepford GA. I believe E. Bednar was the first prototype.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 09:54AM

It's also a distillation of leaders choosing other leaders who mirror themselves. Mirroring is how you become a candidate for GA, because the insecure dolts running things don't want to deal with anyone different.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 09:52AM

The central politburo of the party writes all the speeches...the 15 are puppets.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 08:04PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 11:32AM

They are all one more brick in the wall. They have lost all individuality which is the main by-product of any cult. A person should grow more and more fascinating with age, not the opposite.

Who would you rather spend eternity with? Monson or Maggie Smith?
Oaks or Bob Dylan? Linda Burton or Maya Angelou? Hmmmmmn.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:23PM

Spot on. Living within today's mormonism is like living in a science-fiction nightmare, only it's real.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 11:33AM

Isn't that the goal? Everyone must dress alike, think alike, talk alike, and do everything collectively, with no independence. They truly are the Borg of religions.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 12:36PM

You know when Tom Phillips had to recommend people for a second anointing, and the GA told him to "find another you"? It's the same concept here. People who talk (and behave, dress, etc.) like other GAs are more likely to get called as one.

There were even people in my ward and stake who spoke in the same way as GAs when giving talks. I think it's a psychological thing, if you strongly admire someone, you subconsciously copy their mannerisms and their way of talking and things like that.

In the world of mormonism, the GAs are basically celebrities, so it's understandable that a lot of people admire them and end up behaving/talking like them.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 12:44PM

Practice--Practice--Practice--

RE: Orwell 1984

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 12:49PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 12:55PM

This is a Utah accent you're hearing, plus the religious ministerial tone added for sermons. And they do not "all" sound the same. Some have a stronger accent than others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 01:02PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 02:45PM

Part of why I "like" to watch Conference and BYU devotionals is so I can hear the Utah twang. I've lived away from Utah for over twenty years - long enough to be able to hear the twang in others and sometimes I can even hear it in my own voice. I can pick out Utahn's on shows like Judge Judy, too (I don't know why there have been so many over the years...).

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:05PM

I've noticed a few really old talks on YouTube from LDS leaders from the past. They took a more authoritative tone back then.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:07PM

Cue Jon Lovitz: ACTING!

Posted by: Amberbock ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:18PM

I have heard that the COB during conference season has an entire floor of speech writers. ("Talk writers"). Very organized and calculated effort.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:25PM

Cookie cutter talks. Cookie cutter voices. Cookie cutter members. Their attempts at diversity are only to add different frosting to the same cookie cutter mold.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 01:53PM

All GA's have to graduate from the Voice/Tone Modulation, Subliminal Projection, Speech Reading, Nutured Puppet Project before giving their first talk.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 02:51PM

One might also suggest that LDS Inc systematically uses some very powerful psychological methodology.

F&T meeting is a perfect example, in addition to the missionary tactics, as well as the grueling interview processes.

I would suggest that these guys are heavily coached in these techniques as a business model for LDS Inc.

The last thing they want is people to actually be paying attention, and think critically, about their statements.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 02:57PM

Codger cadence.

Posted by: indoctrinatedsincebirth ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 03:48PM

As I listened to the talks I was thinking the same thing, and I know I've wondered about it before.
For as lat conveng as I can remember all of the speakers at General Conf rence use ateleprompter, which means all of their talks are scripted, pre-edited, preapproved, and robotic sounding.
I might be okay with this coming from less experienced talkers and the newer church authorities, but even the senior speakers (including Monson) use the teleprompter.
If they are called of God and inspired by God as Prophets, then shouldnt their words be 'on the fly' or in real-time?
Watch any other minister on t.v. or at non-lds Sermons and they are given with much more realism, reflects the persons real personality, and from true spirituality.
Instead of getting true relevation, prophecy, and teachings from God; instead we get robotic filtered repetitive drivel that has been filtered, screened, edited, hashed, hacked, condensed, and previewed by a team of speech writers and p.r. experts. Im not saying a prophet needs to be a good speaker, but at least one would expect modern day revelation, reprimanding of those opposing the word of God and Christianity (ISIS, governments, etc.), prophetic healings, prophetic visions about what is to become and relayed to the followers, etc. But again, instead we are only given re-hashed statements, nothing new, nothing of substance, no modern day content, no healings, and no proof that these prophets have any sort of Gods healing power as prophets and Saints described in the Bible. Where is the real human emotion anytime they get up on that conference stage? I see nothing but a stiff, stale, vessel repeating more repetitive mind washing material. Is God really so drab and dull? Where is the burning fire of damnation and brimstone that one would expect from a prophet in these ladder days? I see none of that. The biggest 'revelation' I remember hearing was when one of them instructed young women to get no more than one earring hole per ear and we should nit get tattoos. Really? So groundbreaking and vital to a souls salvation is ensuring that someone restrains from tattoos and extra ear holes. Wow. Now that is some very powerful and spiritual stuff.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 05:57PM

They use a mass hypnosis technique called "voice roll"

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 05:59PM

What a bunch of creepy old men.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.