Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 05:07AM

There's a lot of stuff they do that's perplexing.

For example, making excuses for obvious problems. Like how their prophets and apostles aren't acting like prophets and apostles. They are merely rich men in suits making a living off of tithe. The fact that things spoken by prior prophets that was once revelation can now be labeled as "spoken as a man" is troubling. The fact that any member can supposedly interpret when the prophet was speaking as a man is also troubling. Aren't these valuable revelations documented properly, so members don't have to guess? What about when revelation (policy..?) changes with culture, and past revelation can be wrong today? Huh?! Does winning the argument matter more to Mormons than being informed? I thought truth was supposed to matter the most. Being happy is a sky high priority too...but for the LDS lifestyle, the frog metaphor I was taught in YW comes to mind. We all need fantasy in our lives, just not to the point where it's bad in the long run.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to turn a blind eye to knowledge. Knowing you're living a lie is one thing, refusing to be informed is another. That's immensely damaging, especially when being led astray by "prophets." Mormons say it's not blind faith though. If not, what is it? Or do they know it's blind faith, but don't want the label? I doubt their testimonies are strong to begin with if the beliefs are hidden from criticism.

I can understand personal reasons for many questioning Mormons to live in denial, quietly doubting or secretly believing the church is false. That's different. I can see why individuals may find the religion useful for themselves, but denying another's unhappy reality in the church is brazen. (The 15 come to mind as well, but the secrecy will be taken to the grave.) The Mormons who want to live in a bubble confuse me. The ones who are really strange and out of touch with reality. Ignorance is bliss; is that the agenda? Do they believe it's impossible to be truly happy without being brainwashed? They're happy with the LDS lifestyle, so all other beliefs and opposing opinions must be 100% wrong? Is this why they're so...warped?

I also don't like how Mormon testimonies are "cocooned." Many testimonies seem to be made of eggshells. The testimonies are shielded, instead of being strong on their own. If the testimonies were strong on their own, they could hold up to minor criticism beyond: shutting out the "bad" information, using weak arguments as defense, or through distancing. Lame. I don't get it. Can someone please spell this out for me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 07, 2014 06:30PM

I imagine it can be explained but never justifiably so...other than "rationalization".

Posted by: cajunruby ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:04AM

Think of it as colorblind. You can tell them its red all day but they can't see it. It's an excersise in futility.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:11AM

Mormons thinking is an oxymoron. The Boner.

Posted by: Anon100 ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:28AM

Several explanations come to mind: They are thoroughly brainwashed and incapable of objective thinking. They prefer make believe over reality. They prefer a familiar prison cell over the everyday challenges of freedom. They do not want nor do they value truth. They are incapable of considering that they have devoted their entire life to a big lie.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 12:28AM

In my opinion if you learn more about INDOCTRINATION you will understand how a lot of Mormons exist from day to day without THINKING - thinking for themselves is not what the Church-Cult reinforces in its members. They only keep the thoughts that are church okayed and provided in their heads. Indoctrination is powerful, potent and poisonous.

Then there are the members who exist in the Church-Cult for the social/community/livlihood benefits it provides. If they think outside the Church-Cult box at all, they keep such thoughts under lock and key as such thoughts could undo their needed status all too quickly. They have found security, prestige, and a comfortable and cozy lifestyle. These people will not rock their comfy boat unless it comes up with a big, cold leak.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.