Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gizmo ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 06:10PM

In Quentin's GC talk he essentially said that if the young wait too long before getting married they are sinning. Don't wait till you finish school, and have some means to provide for a family! Just jump headlong into massive responsibilities with someone you barely know! If you don't, you don't have faith.

I remember this being highly emphasized when I was just back from my mission (1993 timeframe), but I had thought they'd dropped it. Guess not...Crazy old farts!

This is even worse advise now that the mission ages have been lowered. Their kids are coming back from missions even younger, and then are expected to fulfill that all important goal of getting "married in the temple".....sheesh!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: topped ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:29PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:03PM

I guess one of my nieces is evil, then. She just got married at 30 years old. And her younger brother is still single, too. Tsk-tsk. Not.

Posted by: DevilsPawn ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:06PM

Yes! And according to mormons it is also evil to marry who you love unless they can take you right to the temple. And heavens don't make out to much or really get to see if you are compatible or anything. This would break the spell of your giving all to GOD! Lose yourself and "find it" or more accurately "lose yourself" and have a miserable not authentic existance living in an emotional hell!!!!! That was my experience.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:32PM

Being evil sure worked great for me. 26 years since I left my mission. I've turned down all six proposals and haven't looked back. Of all my siblings (I'm the youngest) I'm the only one with a home that's paid for and enough money to retire comfortably. Mormon advice given so freely really should be researched before being followed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:44PM

I got married at 25....and it was the right time...considering I thought it would never happen when I was 21.

Ron Burr

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:34PM

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:40PM

They always say..."Oh, but you have such a sweet spirit." Which, in reality means "You will be an old hag and will never marry, therefore you are useless and will not be able to enter the Celestial Kingdom". What a bunch of BS.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:55PM

It is also evil to go into something blindly or hastily or with a fool.

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:21PM

I guess I've gone to hell in a handbasket. Who cares?

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:24PM

That's right crickets. All I hear is crickets. I don't see any of the members lifting a finger to hook me up. Damn them all any ways!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:38PM

greengobbleyguck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's right crickets. All I hear is crickets. I
> don't see any of the members lifting a finger to
> hook me up. Damn them all any ways!

Most Mormons aren't qualified - depends on the individual. Look far and hard and deep and wide. Stay happy!

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:42PM

I posted this in the post about the Duggars, too:

You barely even know YOURSELF at ages 19, 20, 21, and you've hardly been around the block - especially if you've been raised in a sheltered mormon upbringing.

I know I was NOT prepared for the MANY unwelcome surprises my so-called TBM, convert, return misshie husband ended up throwing my way. Ultimately - lots of lying, control, verbal abuse, making a huge mess of our finances. Now I'm NOT young anymore, but age 48 - finally figuring this all out - having just finally realized that I INDEED have been in an abusive relationship.

Perhaps this wouldn't have made a difference, but I have to wonder if I had waited till the ripe old age of 23 or 24 - if I may have had just a little more "street smart" sense to see through the type of person my spouse really was. One thing for sure - I wouldn't have used a "BURNING IN MY BOSOM" to determine so important a life decision - had I not been TBM!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 10:58AM

My TBM ex-wife (of almost 2 years now) is engaged to a man she has known for only two months. They are buying a house together currently, while the wedding isn't scheduled until spring. My 15 yr old son suggested to her that 2 months was really too soon. Her reply was that they both fasted and prayed about it and got a very strong feeling from god that it was right.

The sad thing is, I remember having conversations about this very sort of thing and her agreeing that you just don't know the person well enough to marry them. Yet, here she is!! I am constantly amazed at her choices and I am honestly concerned for her future if this is how she makes big life decisions.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:01PM

I am so glad I followed the church's idea. And jumped into marriage before I finished school.

Because of that, I had to quit school and work 2 jobs just to feed us. Because we had a kid right away....because well the lord gave us a kid so it must be what his plans were.

I have never been able to go back to school. And while I do have a good job, and things in my life have worked out very well. I know not everyone has the same result, and I could have been a lot worse off for following this idea of "You must get married and before you have any kind of savings or finished school!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.