Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 08:10PM

In the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent, sweeping refusal to grant a hearing to the bundled, anti-gay marriage appeal of six sanctimoniously misguided states (including, of course, Mormon Utah), I did the following cartoon:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/bae4bb0b039c8c4e5041bc2c86bb5d5e6ab47e86/c=2-0-1199-900&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Phoenix/None/2014/10/08/635483251024720274-benson.jpg
_____

In response, I received the following from the radical fringe;

--First, from an anti-gay straight couple (with original emphasis):

“YOUR CAPTION SHOULD HAVE BEEN---------SODOMY IS NOW A SACRAMENT HOO----RAH”

--My reply:

“Let me know when what gays do in the privacy of their bedroom destroys your marriage.”

--The Dynamic Duo for Christ's rejoinder (also in all caps):

"Re: 'JUST MARRIED OPINION CARTOON'

"NOW, STEVE. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. I KNOW YOUR RELIGION OR THE PRINCIPALS OF LIFE MUST TEACH YOU THAT NATURAL ACTS CAPABLE OF ENGENDERING LIFE ARE HOMO SAPIENS WAY TO PROMOGATE FUTURE LIFE FORMS. ITS THE PURPOSE VS PLEASURE AXIOM THAT THEORECTICALLY SHOULD BE FOLLOWED TO GIVE MEANING TO THE SEXUAL EXPERIENCE. TO SEEK OUT THE PLEASURE PART OF THE ACT WITH NO DESIRE TO PROCREATE IS NOT IN THE PLAN OF PROCREATION. NOW RELIGION TEACHES US THAT ONE'S POSITIVE ACTIONS MUST OVERWHELM ONES' NEGATIVE ACTIONS TO MAKE THIS THING WORK.-------INDIVIDUALLY OR COLLECTIVELY. WE NEED EACH OTHER. POSITIVITY MUST OVERWHELM NEGATIVITY. SUMMARY----ITS THE BIG PICTURE THAT WE SHOULD ALL BE CONCERNED."

--My response:

"No, we are not all in this together. The U.S. Supreme Court just rejected a six-state appeal against same-sex marriage, thereby allowing previous appellate court decisions to stand in favor of legalization of same-sex marriage. You need to keep up on current events and leave your Bible babble for your Sunday School class."

--The mad straight couple's answer (stil with all caps):

"I TAKE IT YOU ARE NOT YOUR BROTHERS' KEEPER.?

"WHY DON'T WE JUST BAN THE WORD MARRIAGE & PASS A HOUSEHOLD PARTICIPATION ACT THAT ALLOWS 2 PEOPLE OR 2 PARTNERS TO CO-HABITATE TOGETHER AND END ALL DISCRIMINATION FROM THE START.? KUMBYA & ITS A WONDERFUL WORLD

"THE 9TH CIRCUIT COURT HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN BED WITH CONFRONTATION."

--My reply:

"I am not my brother’s snooper. You still haven’t answered my question as to how legalization of same-sex marriages will destroy your marriage.

"By the way, courts have always been involved in 'confrontation' (in the legal world, it’s called litigation). You simply don’t like it when this judicial confrontation results in your side losing.

"And also, by the way, it is the U.S. Supreme Court that has allowed lower-level appellate rulings to stand (or in some cases, to be put on hold while the cases are more fully litigated). Please trying keeping up with the news."

--The readers' comeback (with their all-caps button on overload):

"BEING IN THE MEDICAL FIELD FOR 35 YRS AS A RPH I KNOW FIRST HAND THE EXPERIENCES OF CONTRACEPTION, ABORTION, DISEASE & DEATH. THE ONE WORD---VALUE---PERMEATES ALL THESE EVENTS. SO YOU MAY SAY I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR LIVELIHOOD & HOW THEY SURVIVE."

--My reply:

"You are, in the name of religion, declaring that you should have control over to whom legal-age people can be married, with whom they can have sex and what kind of sex they can and cannot have. If what they do doesn’t agree with your religious view of the world, then damn the U.S. Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause and outlaw all behavior that does not align with your Bible code.

"This is exactly the kind of theocratic 'thinking' that the Founders were determined to keep out of the operations of government when they drafted our nation’s secular Constitution—the first of its kind in the history of the modern Western world."

--The reader's telling admission (with continuing caps):

"MY VALUE SYSTEM IS NOT YOUR OR THEIR VALUE SYSTEM----I DO NOT WANT CONTROL OF THEIRS. AND MY TRUTH IS NOT YOUR OR THEIR TRUTH. SO BE IT

"WHICH BRINGS US BACK TO THE WORD TRUTH. WHAT IS TRUTH.? A SOCIETY WITHIN A SOCIETY. AND WHAT IS THE SURVIVAL RATE? I HAVE TRIED TO KEEP MY DISCUSSION AWAY FROM RELIGION----- CONCENTRATE ON VALUE."

--My reply, with a P.S.:

"You are, in the name of religion, declaring that you should have control over to whom legal-age people can be married, with whom they can have sex and what kind of sex they can and cannot have. If what they do doesn’t agree with your religious view of the world, then damn the U.S. Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause and outlaw all behavior that does not align with your Bible code.

"This is exactly the kind of theocratic 'thinking' that the Founders were determined to keep out of the operations of government when they drafted our nation’s secular Constitution—the first of its kind in the history of the modern Western world.

"(Quote): 'MY VALUE SYSTEM IS NOT YOUR OR THEIR VALUE SYSTEM:” Then this gem: AND MY TRUTH IS NOT YOUR OR THEIR [the American Founders] TRUTH. SO BE IT.'

"Your theocratic value system promotes ideas that, by definition, are unconstitutional under the American system of law, in that that you seek, under your banner of your beliefs, to tear down the First Amendment wall erected between church and state. You are entitled to your value system, of course, but thank goodness you are not empowered with seeing to it that the constitutional precepts of our founding document are protected and preserved. You would not honor that wall and would destroy it if you could.

"P.S.--We are done with this 'conversation,' if for no other reason that you have commenced and continued it throughout with screaming capital letters. In my opinion, you appear to have an anger management problem, which is compounded by a serious Constitution comprehension problem. Good day. "

Second, from an outraged reader who invoked his young granddaughter’s view in his defense:

“Mr. Benson:

“Lady Justice is the allegorical personification of our judicial system. She stands wearing a blindfold and holding a scale and a sword, and she is a singular entity. Your political cartoon today .. . . like most days, left me confused. You have not one, but two Lady Justices. For some reason you have removed their blindfolds and taken their swords. And you have seated them. Now, they hold hands and, apparently, have just married.

“I have no idea what message you are trying to convey to your readers. (Perhaps it is that gay marriage in America is a forgone conclusion? If so, in the words of my six-year-old granddaughter, ‘No Duh!’). Only a fool would believe that gay marriage is not going to be the accepted law of the land in relatively short order. The vast majority of people of 3-digit (and even high 2-digit IQs) already know this. So exactly who do you imagine benefits from reading your cartoon? Who is your intended audience?

“I have read your cartoons, off and on, for several years now. I have thought of writing this letter (or something very much like it) to you on most of those occasions. Just out of curiosity, what do you, a ‘professional cartoonist,’ think the function is of political cartoons? Is it to amuse? Is it to educate? Is it to provide your readership with some sort of insight not completely obvious to them?

“I would humbly suggest that this particular cartoon does none of those things. In fact, I can’t think of one single instance in the past few years when I thought your cartoon was either amusing, educational, or in any way, insightful. Instead, I just find them insipid. Mind you this is not the case with all political cartoons. But it is the case with all of yours. (Maybe you are saving your best work for the days I don’t read the Op/Ed section.)

“So I thought I would ask you this. Would you mind sending me one, just one single previously published political cartoon that you have written at any time in your career that you feel is either a) amusing, b) educational, or c) insightful? Or, alternatively, would you send me one single cartoon from your archives that you are proud of, or that you feel is representative of good work in your chosen genre? Like I say, I’m just curious.”

--My reply:

“The actual Lady Justice statue positioned outside the U.S. Supreme Court building next to its entrance steps is not wearing a blindfold Nor does it have a sword.

[Editor’s note: The Supreme Court statue in question not only features no blindfold or sword, it holds no scale. See http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ewrQZ6pbjUY/UU89uch6_EI/AAAAAAAABCg/ZYjRY13w0xA/s320/lady+justice+usa.png; and http://www.dcmemorials.com/Img//0000001//00160_0000001490.jpg]

“My job as a professional editorial/political cartoonist is to convey a personal point of view. It is clear that your personal political views do not agree with mine. That is why you are writing to complain. It is worth noting here that it is not my job to draw your personal partisan political perspectives for you.

“Thanks for writing.”

--The complaining reader's response:

"seriously steve? google her."

--My reply:

"Seriously. The Lady Justice figure--on the left side of the stairs--is not one whom you have erroneously tagged with holding a scale, a sword and a blindfold. I did google her--and earlier provided you the links."

So, this is the core of the case that the anti-gay marriage crowd makes:

1. Equal constitutional protection for same-sex marriage will lead to a rampant, sodomized sacrament across this land.

2. Six-year-olds know that equal legal protection for same-sex marriage in America will not be coming anytime soon.

3. Legalization of same-sex marriage runs counter to religious principles which direct the plan of action for homo sapien sex--namely, one of procreation, not pleasure.

4. The government is justly empowered to snoop into the private sex lives of consenting adults in the name of being their "brothers' keeper."

5. Same-sex marriage is a "livelihood" that promotes disease and death (akin to contraception and abortion), so it should be a matter of "concern" (i.e., the target of government banning).

6. Since my cartoons confuse my critics (who openly admit that they don’t understand any of them), I should therefore provide them cartoons from my archives that I think are enlightening, relevant, funny or educational.

To quote from Xtian believers’ own holy book, I don’t “tolerate fools gladly.” (2 Cor. 11;19). Just in case these believers don’t read anything but the Bible, here’s a definition of that phrase: “’not suffer fools gladly’: to have very little patience with people who you think are silly or have stupid ideas.’” http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english-chinese-simplified/not-suffer-fools-gladly

Geezus.

Edited 30 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 01:25AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 08:18PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It is worth noting here that it is
> not my job to draw your personal partisan
> political perspectives for you.

Ah, but the world is filled with people who believe it is everyone else's job to reinforce and validate their personal beliefs.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 12:00AM

what exactly IS sodomy, anyway ?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 10:18AM

Under my state law, sodomy is the touching of mouth or anus to another's genitals. In other words, everyone's doin' it--gay and straight.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 10:00PM

that's the point I was making. Gays don't do anything different than hetrosexuals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 10:00PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 12:15AM

All hail to same sex marriage!

May we all know what joy

That some sex

Doth reveal to

Our heritage

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 12:33AM

And that is just for drawing a cartoon!

Gays know that hate in a much more personal way.

Thanks, Steve, for having the courage to stand by us.

Date: October 14, 2014 12:39AM

They are the people who are ultimately responsible for the deprivation of human rights, as well as for the infliction of human injustice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 12:42AM by steve benson.

Date: October 14, 2014 12:41AM

Date: October 14, 2014 12:42AM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 12:54AM

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 01:06AM

I'm still not yet completely comfortable with the words "gay marriage" I prefer companion,spouse,partner etc. But my views change over time-I used to fully support the death penalty for murder defendants,but after seeing a few death row inmates get exonerated(via DNA),I'm not as enthusiastic about the death penalty.The same with marijuana,I now believe it should be legal,but regulated to adults 21 or older,like alcohol.Anyway,just my opinions-always subject to change.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 01:08AM

Date: October 14, 2014 01:31AM

Date: October 14, 2014 01:46AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

say what?

you can't think of a more permanent term than that?

well i guess we can go with marriage

as long as thou dost not dispairage!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 01:21AM

You. Are. Awesome. Steve. I love it!!!

A) You are very amusing!!
B) You always educate!!
C) You are extremely insightful !!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 01:51AM

I'm still laughing at the word THEORECTICALLY used by one of them. So appropriate! Religion really is pulled out of somebody's ass!
Hoping that was their typo, not yours Steve. :)

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 02:07AM

Steve, well-drawn and well-spoken. You are under no obligation to seriously consider critiques of your cartoons authored by people who actually believe their own cartoons-in-the-sky are real.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 05:25AM

Would Lady Justice and Lady Liberty have been going too far? Riskier than a Muhammad drawing these days, I guess.

Date: October 14, 2014 08:52AM

Riskier and then some.

So when did the world I was born into get perverted inverted and converted?

Not sure.

We can all be sure however that the sword of Damocles hangs heavy over all our heads.

Notwithstanding, Steve fears his editor more than any gee hadist evidently.

:o)

Date: October 14, 2014 07:47PM

"Start spreading the news,
I'm leaving today.
I want to be a part of it,
New York, New York.

"No more of them blues,
It's time to be gay,
Tyin' the knot in the heart of it--
New York, New York.

"If gays can marry there,
They'll marry anywhere,
Thanks to you,
New York, New York!"

http://mariopiperni.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Benson.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 07:48PM by steve benson.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 10:10PM

Date: October 14, 2014 07:51PM

Date: October 14, 2014 07:59PM

Sounds as though you're in a New York state of mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.