Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:47PM

I like JP Sears who puts out fun and meaningful videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1akYpIXLU&feature=youtu.be

at 4:00 he describes what I identify in myself as the Mormon attachment to who I was in Mormonism. People entrenched in the Mormon personality identification can't open their idea framework to - not - being identified as a Mormon. It's not okay for them and they protect that social aspect of themselves even when it goes along with a deceptive doctrine. Maybe that's one reason lds have trouble allowing themselves to understand the unethical aspects of Mormonism past and present.

For those freshly leaving Mormonism, or making a break and feeling a little lost about who they are now, the vid briefly describes that it's okay not to know who you are. Sometimes it's nice to hear it from another person; especially when we've heard lds stuff hammered at us telling us who we are/were as lds.

The final part of the video describes how knowing who you aren't can help person define who they are. This method can be applied to help make the transition between an LD$ identification of who you were and a new identification of who you are.

This can be a scary but rewarding place to be in and maybe this vid will help a few people bridge that gap.
....sharing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:02PM

I have never understood what people meant when they said they didn't know who they were. I always felt like I knew who I was, though sometimes I wasn't sure what path I'd like to take. But I felt like that decision was a separate thing. It was still me, just me not knowing exactly what I wanted to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.