Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:47PM

I have a lumia 521 windows phone that I need to use again (its' like a year old). so I turned it on and decided it would be good to update the software......well.. now it just shows either the battery is dead and charging or two gears turning.

I am so broke I really needed to use this phone but I evidently screwed it up. Anyone know any special tricks or anything I can open to reset it? I have lready reset it with the volume and middle key, just goes back and does the same thing.

also charged it overnight twice now. I have done it both with and without the new sim card.

I have looked online but cant find anything.

oh yeah, and now I have two phones I ned to get unlocked from att. they want a bunch of money to do so. any recommendations of who to go to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:05PM

Unlocking is pretty simple: Google is your best friend here. You can buy codes online or get a local unlock service.

If you're trying to install 8.1 on a locked phone with no service, you might well see spinning gears. Lots of users are having the same error when trying to install the newest update even on the 920 and other models. Here's a link on resetting and wiping (albeit one to T-Mobile) that might help: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6809

You'll still have to get it unlocked to use it, though. Since the 520 and 521 are bottom-of-the-line Windows phones and are pretty cheap, you might weigh the cost of getting it unlocked vs. just buying one that works with your new carrier.
Good luck!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:17PM

Date: October 20, 2014 10:33PM

nah, this phone isn't locked, it's tmobile. I now know what the gears are for, but I didn't know the rest, so I'm really hoping it will work. I don't want to have to buy a new phone.

Beth, if you're buying, i'm trying!! I would love an iPhone but i'm poor, literally. I do like the windows phone, I have a much nicer one, but it isn't perfect. next to try when I have money is an iPhone. if you got one for me:)

thanks icedtea!! still hopoing it will work but its been over 5 minutes, but at least it was worth a try

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:51PM

AT&T is like, "Wanna old iPhone?" And I'm like, "Uh-huh!"

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:41PM

You've tried taking the battery out, right? That often fixes problems.

Date: October 20, 2014 10:44PM

Yep, several times. I'll give it another go then give up. They are only 50 bucks but I don't have it. Sigh. I screwed up trying to upgrade, it was working with just the 8. I have 8.1 on my good phone, but now I have to get it unlocked.

Sigh. Just trying to save money, my monthly rate is going to be half.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.