Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:02PM

Elder Bednar explains it all:

http://youtu.be/5Qxu6bFXc2Q

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:05PM

And pulling rank is an act of pure love.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:22PM

I was actually in her position once. On my mission, Elder Choules came to our zone conference. He allowed us to ask questions by writing them on a slip of paper. He pulled my question out of the hat, which read:

"If the LDS Church is the only path back to Christ, why is it so small relative to the world."

Choules shook his head, crumpled the paper and said, "The church is not small, this is a stupid question." He then pulled the next question.

I could not believe that an LDS GA read my question, one that had bothered me for years, and told me and everyone else that it was "stupid".

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:17PM

The girl was not given the chance to reply with questions to Bednar's answer. He asked, Does that make sense? This begs a yes or no answer especially to a child who has been, most likely, brought up in the Church-cult atmosphere where you are not encouraged to do your own thinking and ask questions.

However, I really do not have any hope that this episode was anything but canned and rehersed. You ask him this, he will reply with such and such and then you....etc.etc.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:29PM

because creepy lizard man says so

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:31PM

Actually I don't think his answer is a bad one. It's true that sometimes there are rules in life that don't actually make strict logical sense, (why can't a well reasoned sixteen year old vote when a rabidly unreasoned forty year old can, why do I have to pay a fine for overlooking the expiration date on my driver's license even though I'm a perfectly good driver, etc.) yet they're there for a generally good reason, so we deal with it.
What really bothers me about his answer is the way he pronounces "mature". I mean seriously, WTF?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:39PM

Bednar makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 01:56AM

I didn't think he was quite as loathsome in this video as he was in the one with the little boy on the carpet. But he brought up a question that made me wonder about something.

Why SHOULDN'T a mature 11-year-old get to go to the temple? Why shouldn't an immature jerkweed teenager be kept out? Couldn't a local bishop make a call on this?

I know the answer, of course. Leaving something like this to a bishop's discretion just might open the door to THINKING, and we don't want anybody getting ideas like that, at any level.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 04:03AM

LOL, I love the name shummy pinned on Bednar - creepy lizard man. Fits him well. He makes my skin crawl, and I can picture him turning up in all sorts of situations where he should not turn up, rather like a fast darting lizard.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 04:09AM

Cute girl. I wonder if someone asked her to ask that question.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.