Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 09:44AM

I'm doing some research and could use a hand.

What is the dumbest, most ignorant, condescending, WTF-inducing, or otherwise newsworthy quote from the church in regards to gays and lesbians, both in and out of the church? From...

* scriptures
* talks
* history
* apologists
* handbook
* Other official policies or statements

For example, I would like to poke some fun at the new "homosexual law of chastity," wherein gays may be gay and think gay, but not feel gay, look gay, sound gay, or act gay. If there's an official quote on this somewhere, it would be more effective.

P.S. And while we're at it, if you could think of a few key points to call out as well as the above, I'd love to include them--such as Prop 8, gay marriage in general, homeless teens, and anything else the world needs to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 09:50AM

I've posted the link before, but this is pretty spot-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCLClFEtO0E

Here's the original NOM funded version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76ly2_NoI

And quotes:

"We do not intend to admit to our campus any homosexuals. If any of you have this tendency and have not completely abandoned it, may I suggest that you leave the university immediately after this assembly. ... We do not want others on this campus to be contaminated by your presence." Ernest Wilkinson, president of Brigham Young University, in a 1965 lecture to the BYU student body, titled: "Make Honor your Standard."

"Homosexuality Is sin: Next to the crime of murder comes the sin of sexual impurity." Excerpt from a 2002 Mormon pamphlet.

"This heinous homosexual sin is of the ages. Many cities and civilizations have gone out of existence because of it. It was present in Israel’s wandering days, tolerated by the Greeks, and found in the baths of corrupt Rome."
- Prophet Spencer W. Kimball, "President Kimball Speaks Out on Morality," LDS New Era, Nov. 1980, Page 39

And my very favorite:

“While I was in a mission on one occasion, a missionary said he had something to confess. I was very worried because he just could not get himself to tell me what he had done.
“After patient encouragement he blurted out, ‘I hit my companion.’
“ ‘Oh, is that all,’ I said in great relief.
“ ‘But I floored him,” he said.
“After learning a little more [his companion was gay], my response was ‘Well, thanks. Somebody had to do it, and it wouldn’t have been well for a General Authority to solve the problem that way.’
“I am not recommending that course to you, but I am not omitting it. You must protect yourself.”
--Boyd K Packer

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 10:40AM

As soon as I read the title of your post, that BKP quote came to mind.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 12:03PM

+1

And btw, I've never encountered a homophobe, I mean someone really obsessed with "the evil of homosexuality", who did not, at some point, sooner or later, turn out to be as gay as a handbag full of rainbows.

Boyd K Packer, we are watching you!

Date: April 29, 2011 12:15PM

"As gay as a handbag full of rainbows"

Please tell me you're the only other person I've heard use this term because you're also a rabid fan of Rifftrax.

Date: April 29, 2011 02:10PM

Never heard of Riftraxx, but I heard this from someone who, like me, is as queer as a three dollar bill, as camp as a row of tents, as gay... You get it.

Date: April 29, 2011 02:14PM

where it says something in gibberish it should say "female monarch -N +R"

Date: April 29, 2011 02:17PM

Right right, gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide...

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:47PM

I am bringing this thread back up because I went to the local ward conference.

It was said that it's ok for same sex people to be attracted to another, but not to engage in sexual activity.

That's changed.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 01:02PM

...here's a little parody song. The title translates to something like "the gays are to blame".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1bQUnm-eo0

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 10:09AM

This electric shock current will cure you of your disease. Several treatments might be needed, but the lord will bless you. You shouldn't have to miss any of your classes. Now, think pure thoughts....

Glad2B Out

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 10:14AM

And "We don't hate gays, we love them."

Don't know any official sources for those two but both have been used on me by several Mormons so someone must have been teaching it.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 01:16PM

"...They struggle with Same Sex Attraction like other members struggle to pay their tithing, struggle not to swear, keep the word of wisdom, or struggle to keep the law of chastity. People develop SSA when they're feeling down and someone of the same sex lifts them back up. So we have to be cautious in those times of need, because we could be afflicted with SSA."

Not word for word, but that's what 2nd counciler in the bishopric of my ward said at the latest chastity fireside. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted. Everyone else lapped it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 01:17PM by Strykary.

Date: April 29, 2011 01:27PM

Oh geeze, no one show that to the gf's mom. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what she thinks is going on.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 01:29PM

As always they get it totally backwards. You don't "struggle" with SSA, it's a matter of perfectly real and valid hormones. You cannot "struggle" them away. One doesn't get gay from depression, but one does get depressed from the futility of "struggling" with being gay. And it's not about feelings of gratitude, it's a matter of sexual attraction. Please, as if we couldn't tell the difference!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 01:31PM

That is when they are attracted to members of the same sex and try to deny that fact.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 02:25PM

Homosexuality caused the fall of Rome is up there at the top of stupid statements. When Rome fell, it was Christian and had been for a while.Homosexuality certainly existed but hardly in the numbers that it had in the past. Duh, Some of these guys need to take a basic history class and stop making stuff up to further their agenda. Just shows how uneducated they are..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 02:37PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: April 29, 2011 02:28PM

"Why would Heavenly Father do that?"

Packer in CON ference on people with SSA.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:59AM

That BKP one is definitely one of the worst. One of the most cutting. It makes me sick to think of the young kids hearing this.

Not an actual quote, but what I heard, but what it all really meant:

No one is born gay. Why would Heavenly Father do such a hideous horrible thing to one of his children? You chose this sin because you are weak and we don't want you around us. But, we love you.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:26PM

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned. It was Kimball, in "The Miracle of Forgiveness," claiming a link between masturbation and homosexuality. The intermediate state of this degenerate cascade into sin was, naturally enough, the sin of mutual masturbation.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:47AM

+1 - I agree that Spencer Kimball's sin chain takes the prize. And remember, that old Spence said this chain reaction often went one step further on to bestiality. Very weird. Very dumb.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:56AM

I wonder if his statements derive from personal experience

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.