Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 08:51AM

Did anyone else notice something missing on the "garments" in the open and honest video?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:00AM

Oh yes. They didn't show real garments. I guess the markings are even more sacred than the robes of the holy priesthood itself.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:44AM

The church mentions other religions have "religious wear" and show some of those symbols. Yet, the video was pretty absent explaining that garments ALSO have symbols that mean things to them. I didn't see any right arms to the square or patriarchal grips in the video showsing how holy and religious mormons were.

Thanks goodness for youtube.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:51AM

I'm considering posting victoia secret links on the TBM's links to mormon underwear. It's only fair to show what I wear, right?

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:15AM

1. "Magic" is an archaic, adjectival form of magi, so it means "of the wise men," typically used in the phrase "the arts magic," from back when adding an adjective after a noun was in vogue, under French rule. I mention this because, by claiming that the vestments are the same as those used by the first fathers (Adam, Seth et al) an by claiming their relation to sacred arcanae, you have defined them as 'garments magic' without any outside help.

2. I still wear them, even after most of my faith is fled me, because I was taught they would protect me from actual, physical harm. I am still convinced, logic and reason be damned, that if I take these off I'll be swarmed by scorpions or infected with Ebola.

3. Don't tell people what offends them. Being told I possess a talisman of secret power does not offend me. That's the single most moronic reason to take umbrage that I have ever heard.

Whatever happened to 'a peculiar people'? Is everything now a plea to be seen as 'like everyone else'? Without reason to believe, to hope in something greater than the vulgar day, yea, without that 'magic' that offends, what have you to offer?

Stop cutting dark and scary oaths, and whispered words. Return the ceremony, the ordinance. Make the oil with myrrh, wrap the body in scarlet, whisper of a crown, of power, of miracles. Without them, anywhere else is just as good as there, and anyone else is just as good as you. Remove these things, and sure, you're better empathized, but...what are you?

And what of my oaths? My fear-spawned exactness? Are they now null, to save you face?

Were they ever in force to begin with?

The dancers cease their dancing,
The brides pass with their trains,
The pageantry is over,
Now only dust remains.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:30AM

"Whatever happened to 'a peculiar people'? Is everything now a plea to be seen as 'like everyone else'?"

This is exactly what I was thinking. They NEVER would have thought of discussing these things even two years ago. They weren't "secret", they were "sacred"...either way, it was none of your business, Gentiles! Now they just throw it out there because there are plenty of other photos/videos out there and they want to do damage control? Thanks for airing the Mormons dirty laundry! I'm sure this video will go viral and everyone will be rushing to buy non-magic Mormon undies. Stock up, 'cause there's about to be a years-long shortage!

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:41AM

"Stop cutting dark and scary oaths, and whispered words. Return the ceremony, the ordinance. Make the oil with myrrh, wrap the body in scarlet, whisper of a crown, of power, of miracles. Without them, anywhere else is just as good as there, and anyone else is just as good as you. Remove these things, and sure, you're better empathized, but...what are you?"

Lovely post, touchscreen! You raise valid points.

Although I no longer wear garments, I do believe in magic and magick (although not the Mormon flavor of it); it is puzzling that TSCC's PR department has been pushing to mainstream Mormonism when two of its biggest appeals used to be its uniqueness and its authoritative use of exclusive magical rituals, items, and powers supposedly restored from ancient times. In the rush to look "normal," much of what made Mormonism compelling and fascinating (however weirdly) is either gone or swept far into the broom closet's dusty recesses.

What are they now, and why should one choose their version of vanilla over another? They don't seem to be coming up with any good answers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.