Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: questioning fool ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:15PM

the stereotypical LDS couple in their 60s, about whether there is room in the LDS church for those who question.

At first they didn't understand the topic.

By the end of the discussion, they admitted that there is no room in the LDS church "long term" for those who may believe in God/Jesus but who don't believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet.

It becomes all or nothing at some point.

If I had been able to record the conversation, I could sell it.

If they are representative, than many otherwise "successful" Mormons lack critical thinking skills in a big way.

I am convinced that they don't even read their own scriptures other than to prepare for a lesson or talk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nobody likes me ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:41PM

I'm sure this couple are wonderful individuals, but the traits you mentioned seem to be shared with most Mormons of my generation.

I believe in God and Christ, and tried to stay in the church, hoping it would support those beliefs. Since birth (I was BIC) the Mormon church seems to have drifted further and further away from Bible Christianity. My parents raised me on the Bible. When I left the church, the Bible was never quoted, and Christ was hardly ever mentioned. All the lessons were based on "The Teachings of The Prophets", meaning those old Mormon polygamous prophets.

For a few months, I did express to a few Mormons about my whole-my skepticism about Joseph Smith and his temple rituals--but that it didn't effect my faith in God and Christ. Needless to say, I got very bad responses from Mormons. They didn't even try to answer any of my questions, but yelled at me and threatened me that I was headed to "outer darkness". I guess all the other faithful Christians are in "outer darkness" too?

Yes, it is all or nothing, no matter how much Mormons try to back-pedal and lie that they will still welcome the non temple-attender/non-tithe payer. Now, nobody likes me.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:48PM

This is a main reason why I chose to leave instead of stay as a nonbeliever. The LDS church is all-or-nothing. I could not remain as a second class citizen, so I left. That along with it not making much sense to stick around in a church I no longer believed in.

Posted by: glad2see- ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:17PM

We also left because we believe in Jesus the Christ's teaching in the bible and not in teachings of the Mormon Prophets.

Posted by: ICEMAN ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:25PM

This!!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:25PM

I had the same experience with my in laws. Initially, they acknowledged that they had questions. However, when two of us started sincerely questioning, the "folks" went into bunker-mode.

Looking back over 30 years, I'm glad I left and had the courage to get out.

My wife's TBM family will not step foot in my church (mainline Protestant). As close as I can tell, it's too refreshingly honest for them. Boner.

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 06:40PM

Outlaws are wanted.

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:38PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.