Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jorsen ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:30PM

I guess it's the black and white thinking talking...the all or nothing...the in our out...God's way or Satan...

But,

I want to be:

Moral
Virtuous
Self Reliant
Service Focused
Spiritual
Loving
Improving

These are the many parts of Mormonism that resonate with me strongly. I loved how many of the people I knew were very similar to me in this area.

I don't think I have to be 'Mormon' to be this way...so I guess I'm going to try and keep this 'Mormon' part of me which isn't necessarily 'Mormon' at all but I've thought it was for awhile...and take it with me into whatever I evolve into next on this crazy life journey.

I just wish I could get over being Mormon and stop obsessing about the church so much like a bad girlfriend that you know is no good for you but you want to go back anyway...

That'd be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:37PM

So you would not be moral/virtuous/self reliant/servicefocused/spiritual/loving/improving without the Mormon church?

That is a slap in the face to yourself.

That is also an insult to the millions upon millions of people who are all those things and more but have never set foot in a Mormon church and barely know what it is. Some of those amazing people are even atheists.

It is you who chooses to be those commendable things. Celebrate yourself not the Mormon cult. Celebrate the collective human spirit that revolves around empathy, not obedience.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:44PM

Did you just leave? I remember thinking those things when I left 2 years ago. Right now is a great time for spiritual growth without the cult. Do it in your own way now that you can think for yourself. Mad respect for wanting to take those things with you. Just remember that you define what those things are now. Not the cult

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:53PM

I always associated Mormonism with things like morality, ethics, loving, and especially improvement. It didn't take me long to see that those things came from me, not from the Mormon church. Those were my virtues. It sounds like they are yours too.

Religion has nothing to do with this.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 11:21PM

None of the things that you listed as wanting to be are unique to Mormonism.

If you are all of those things, it is because of YOU, not because of Mormonism. If you are not those things, Mormonism is not going to help you get there.

I believe that you are all of the things you want to be, and you will continue to be all of them outside of Mormonism because you are a good person. Period. Mormonism has nothing to do with it.

Good luck with getting away from The Cult.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 01:16AM

In the church you are taught that you can only be those things when you are mormon. They keep you shielded from the thought that millions and millions of people who have never even heard of the mormons are all that and more.

It's not your fault.

You will figure it out on your journey away from the cult mindset.

What you are feeling is normal and many of us know exactly what you are talking about.

Don't worry. The world is your oyster. You can take anything and everything you want with you, and you can let go of stuff you don't want. It's completely up to you now to be the person that you want to be.

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone anymore. Except to yourself.

Don't be too hard on you.
Take your time and enjoy the journey.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 01:29AM

I hear you my man.

50+ years out that last little doubt

still tugs at my sleeve

'you're no good on your own'

but I gotta believe

and then figger it out

the best I can

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.