Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 10:27AM

Release a movie telling how wonderful they are?

Then release two notices indicating how their corporate founder was a sleeze bag and involved with teenagers.

Then issue an order to destroy all materials from the past.

It makes me think there is something very powerful going on the CoB. It looks like a real struggle with power on many levels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 11:39AM

The Morg seems suicidal lately in their attempts to look transparent. I had a strange dream last night about the COB collapsing like the house from Poltergeist.

Posted by: * ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 11:45AM

The picture in my mind is them gathering all of the morgbots onto the boat (ala GC) and then...they set the whole thing on fire. They have always talked out of both sides of their mouths, but these latest antics are waaaaay above and beyond business as usual.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:14PM

Never rule out incompetence.

My gut tells me that Mitt has informed them he is going to run and to expect deeper scrutiny.

For a company that employs as many PR people as they do, it is more like the Keystone Cops than the image protection of a major corporation.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:51PM

Having majored in journalism, I knew plenty of people majoring in Public Relations at BYU. I learned enough about the subject to know that BYU does a good job of teaching it but apparently, Mormons that work for the COB do a terrible job of learning it. I've never seen a more complete collapse of responsible public relations, a more out of touch approach to promoting your product nor more general incompetence when it comes to being a spin doctor for your company's mistakes. What I've learned from other PR people through the years bears this theory out. I have to say that to me, it seems like a combination of unbelievable arrogance about the product and a completely overwhelming amount of bad behavior/bad information about the product colliding. They were so sure their religion was a magic bullet for all the world's woes that when detractors arose, they ignored them. When those problems became to big to ignore, they tried to address them with complete incompetence and ignorance to the problems they were facing. Worst of all, they vastly overestimated the stupidity of their customer base. They thought any half-assed explanation would be eagerly gobbled up but their naïve, trusting masses and they were dead wrong. Faced with the wrongness of their assumptions, they are as helpless as a turtle on it's back. A good PR team may not be able to save it but this catastrophic PR team is just hastening it's demise.

In other words, no matter what the suits are doing over there at the COB, the PR guys should be able to spin the situation about a million times better than they are and they are failing the church miserably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 12:54PM by CA girl.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 03:00PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> In other words, no matter what the suits are doing
> over there at the COB, the PR guys should be able
> to spin the situation about a million times better
> than they are and they are failing the church
> miserably.

True, but there's only so much you can do when you're spinning a story that is so fraudulent that it just won't spin any faster.

The PR guys have to lie, whitewash, cover up, omit....it must be exhausting. If they would just admit the whole thing is fake they could all take a deep breath, relax, and move on with their lives with a clear conscience.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 03:33PM

Well, like Sarah Palin said "lipstick on a pig." But they are making a lot of stupid mistakes that are obviously stupid to anyone like us who knows both sides of the story. They can't win in the end but they could lose a little less spectacularly.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:52PM

Orwell was meant to be a warning rather than an instruction manual.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.