Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 07:54PM

This is a brand new book coming out on July 22. It's written by an ExMo who lives in Seattle. The Morg won't be happy with this one. It scientifically goes through all of the methods that high demand groups use to insidiously brainwash their members. She has a website. I want to double check, and will provide a LINK shortly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 07, 2014 07:57PM

Posted by: Son of Abraham ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 05:04PM

From the article:

Mind control is a type of persuasion that bypasses mental defenses against new beliefs, followed by:

--establishment of beliefs to deflect all skepticism and criticism of the doctrine and leaders

--suppression of critical thinking skills (while maintaining the illusion of logic)

--isolation of members from doubt-inducing information

--the creation of dependency on the group for social and psychological fulfillment

--the instillment of emotions like fear and guilt to keep members from leaving.

It is key that all the while, members maintain perfect trust in the person or group doing the manipulating.

No one knows when they’re being controlled in this way – that’s entirely the point.

Like “mind control,” the word “cult” is loaded with lots of false notions. Many researchers, myself included, prefer the term, “high-demand group,” because it is more descriptive, even if it is more of a mouthful.

A high-demand group, or cult, instills complete trust in its members and demands an inordinate amount of time, energy, and money, using a totalist and inflexible ideology that permeates most or all aspects of the members’ lives. Such groups are known for isolating members either physically or culturally, suppressing serious questions and flexibility in thought, leaving little room for doubts or dissent, and never allowing criticism of leadership. The goal is for ideological purity and unanimity among all members.

The LDS Church fits this definition. These claims are backed up with research and examples within the pages of Recovering Agency.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 08:20PM

Date: July 08, 2014 01:58AM

Date: July 08, 2014 02:27PM

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 07:01PM

I can't wait to read this book after reading through the website. I'm hoping to use it to explain to my kids how TSCC mind control tactics work.

Posted by: icjr52 ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 08:01AM

Great topic which helps to understand those who need this in order to make sense or have some form of security.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 10:48PM

Looks like a winner! Maybe the bishops should give a free copy to all who attend tithing settlement!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 11:46AM

See my review of this book on amazon

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:25PM

This is one of the best books on Mormonism I've read and believe me, I've read a lot. Because you can read "No Man Knows My History" and "In Sacred Loneliness" to get a picture of Joseph Smith and "Standing for Something More" and "One Nation Under Gods" and the entire Mormonthink website to get a picture of the rest of the historical and doctrinal problems of Mormonism. But this book deals brilliantly with what Mormonism did to US. What effect it had on our lives, our choices, our abilities to think and feel and act of our own accord. I totally recommend it to anyone and I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through. No matter how completely you think you know the issues in Mormonism, until you get a good understanding of how those issues hurt you and continue to hurt your friends and family, you will be missing an important part of your knowledge of why Mormonism is not just wrong, but damaging. This one is a must read.

PS - Good review Richard.

Posted by: rodolfo NLI ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 05:49PM

I agree wholeheartedly with CA Girl. Long after you're done reading about Old Joe and polygamy you must still untangle yourself from years of cultthink. Luna's book is a greatly appreciated resource to this end.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.