Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gaiuscottidianus ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:38PM

I've lurked around RFM for a few years now, posting in a few threads on rare occasion. Before I actually registered, I usually posted as 'Z'.

Anyways, I've basically been 'out' of the church for about 6 years now. I haven't resigned yet though as I have generally been left alone, and it didn't seem like it was really worth causing a potential stir with the family. Until now. Since that has changed, I am getting my letter written up, then getting it notarized and mailed out first thing in the morning. Just thought I'd share the news.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:41PM

gaiuscottidianus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I haven't resigned yet
> though as I have generally been left alone, and it
> didn't seem like it was really worth causing a
> potential stir with the family. Until now. Since
> that has changed, I am getting my letter written
> up, then getting it notarized and mailed out first
> thing in the morning.

What has changed, gaiuscottidianus? What prompted the decision? Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 10:43PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: gaiuscottidianus ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:13PM

Well, I discovered today that they have put a target on my back again.

About 2 years ago I moved to attend college. My records were transferred to the new address in the new town and they managed to get a hold of my cell phone number in the process.(I suspect my brother's involvement) They bugged me for a little bit, but I told them explicitly that I have no interest in their church, that I'm never going back, and to please never contact me again. They left me alone after that.

I moved to a new apartment a few months ago. (Obviously I didn't make any effort to let the church know that)

The missionaries showed at my doorstep unannounced today looking for me, and 2 hours later I received a phone call from the local bishopric saying that they missed me in church last week and asked if I would help clean the church tomorrow morning. Again, I've been out for about 6 years. I have never met any of these people that have been contacting me. Frankly, it's really creepy.

As for my family, it never was a MAJOR constraint, as it is quite well known that I am no believer. But it is even less-so now. Almost my entire immediate family is 'out' of the church at this point.

Really, it's just finally time to make it happen.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:34PM

You've never met any of these people, yet they called to say they missed you last Sunday and, oh by the way, can you come in tomorrow to clean?!? Craziness!

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:15PM

Such is Mormon leadership.

"We miss you. Will you stop by and clean our church?"

Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 01:37AM

Sorry they are bugging you! Glad you are here.

They seem to be bothering the in-actives from what others have shared.

Congrads on getting your letter together. Wishing you more peace after the papers are processed.

Posted by: anon1234 ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:07PM

When asked to clean, say Yes.

When they call to say you were not there to clean the church, say, I did help clean a church, and name the pre-transfer one.

If prodded, say no I did not. I just cleaned my own apartment, and have no interest in cleaning a place deep in BS.

Posted by: Starry no password ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:41PM

Congratulations, let them know continued contact will be considered harassment and legal action will be taken. Best wishes to you and your family on your freedom from the Cult.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 01:52AM

You can leave the church, but it can't leave you alone. Best wishes moving forward.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:13PM

Good deal.

I have not been bothered in about 5 years myself.

Hope this continues.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:00PM

Is this a regular thing now for members to be asked to help clean the church? I'm pretty sure my family never cleaned back in the day, except cleaning up after a church party or something.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:07PM

Tell them you cleaned one of the ones on Kolob!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:19PM

Tell them you'd love to come back to give a talk on "why I left the church". They might leave you alone after that offer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.