Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:20AM

But that doesn't stop some members from producing DVDs claiming it was in the United States.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKWgt4dXwo

Strange how Monson and his apostles don't just come out and tell everyone where the Book of Mormon stories happened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:41AM

no, it's not strange;

from the past, almost every time they allow themselves to be specific, they get Nailed.

Date: October 25, 2014 07:07AM

Better to let the members divide against themselves.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:19PM

...no big secret. This was discussed decades ago.

http://powerandlightpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/trailers.jpg

Date: October 25, 2014 04:29PM

Posted by: finex ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 07:19AM

Well it must have been in the USA since..

History of the Church, 3:34-35

Saturday, May 19, 1838 -- This morning we struck our tents and formed a line of march, crossing Grand River at the mouth of Honey Creek and Nelson's Ferry. Grand River is a large, beautiful, deep and rapid stream, during the high waters of Spring, and will undoubtedly admit of navigation by steamboat and other water craft. At the mouth of Honey Creek is a good landing. We pursued our course up the river, mostly through timber, for about eighteen miles, when we arrived at Colonel Lyman Wight's home. He lives at the foot of Tower Hill (a name I gave the place in consequence of the remains of an old Nephite altar or tower that stood thee), where we camped for the Sabbath.

..and don't forget Zelph either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelph

Date: October 25, 2014 12:48PM

Joseph Smith wrote a letter to Emma about mounds in Illinois. He told his own wife that they had been built by Nephites.

"wandering over the plains of the Nephites, recounting occasionaly the history of the Book of Mormon, roving over the mounds of that once beloved people of the Lord, picking up their skulls & their bones, as a proof of its divine authenticity"
http://josephsmithpapers.org/paperSummary/letter-to-emma-smith-4-june-1834#!/paperSummary/letter-to-emma-smith-4-june-1834&p=2

This new and twisted Mormon church even throws out their founding prophet's own words and lets their membership divide against themselves.

I wish the COJCOLDS would just decanonize and discard the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 12:25PM

"I wish the COJCOLDS would just decanonize and discard the Book of Mormon"

Yes, but even better though, I wish the COJCOLDS would disincorporate, dissolve the assets, and refund the tithing to all members and former members :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 12:35AM

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 07:21AM

I definitely recall McConkie saying that the land of Bountiful was in Chile (where he happened to be speaking.) I also think I read another such reference, perhaps less specific, in the Church News within the last few years. I think it had to do with Peru being where unspecified Book of Mormon events happened. If you like reading LDS materials, keep your eyes open for stuff like that

They have to play it both ways, keeping it vague for the skeptics and very close and personal for the true believers. Also, many Latin American members joined the church because they believed they were Lamanites. Salt Lake has to keep them happy.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:35AM

And I'm pretty sure the Meldrumites are as well. I mean look at the money Alan Osmond sends to the church, and Orrin Hatch has grown wealthy in Washington.

Why ever would the Q15 choke those golden geese?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:13PM

They lived in the land of the Nephilim.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:24PM

How true! Zelph was a giant, wasn't he?

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 06:49PM

They lived in Nephi Utah ------ where else would they live? Also, peter pan and possibly superman lived there also.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 08:05PM

Stormin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They lived in Nephi Utah ------ where else would
> they live? Also, peter pan and possibly superman
> lived there also.

And Gary Coleman lived in Santaquin we know.

Whatchew talkin bout Willard?

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 07:15PM

This is a very interesting topic.

For instance, Brigham Young noted on the siting of the Manti Temple that “Here is the spot where the Prophet Moroni stood and dedicated this piece of land for a Temple site, and that is the reason why the location is made here, and we can’t move it from this spot.”

Yet Gordon Hinkley stated with respect to the Hill Cumorah: "What a glorious and wonderful thing took place here, right here at this hill. I am . . . glad to be back and walk this ground where Moroni walked so very, very long ago."

That seems like a far distance for a fellow hauling around gold plates.

It would be interesting to take a map and chart all the references by LDS leaders with respect to characters in the BoM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 07:16PM by unabashed.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 08:53PM

O' good idea.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:03PM

They can't agree on where Nephites lived because Nephites did not live.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:08PM

Wait.. aren't three of them still wandering around somewhere?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:11PM

I just can't see how three are wandering around somewhere when only ONE was standing after the battle on Hill Cumorah. WTF?

Is this like 1984 only we are supposed to say 1 + 0 = 3 ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2014 09:13PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 11:59PM

Nephi foresaw the American Revolution happening on the land. That rules out Mesoamerica right there in the BoM, or the lands of the Lehites extended right across the continent.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 01:01AM

Kenneth W. Godfrey, "The Zelph Story," BYU Studies, Vol. 29, No. 2 (Spring 1989), p. 48:

"Exactly what Joseph Smith believed at different times in his life concerning Book of Mormon geography in general is also indeterminable. Only a few clues remain. For example, while the Church was headquartered in Nauvoo, Joseph read a best-selling book of his day by John Lloyd Stephens, 'Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan,' which John Bernhisel had sent to him from the East. In a letter dated 16 November 1841, the Prophet thanked Bernhisel and wrote of the book that 'of all histories that had been written pertaining to the antiquities of this country it is the most correct' and that it 'supports the testimony of the Book of Mormon.' [25] Ten months later, the Times and Seasons printed an enthusiastic review of the Stephens volume. John Taylor was the editor, although Joseph Smith had shortly before announced his own editorial responsibility for the newspaper. The unnamed writer of the review (probably Wilford Woodruff) stated that 'we have just learned… the city of Zarahemla… stood upon this land' (Guatemala, whose ruins Stephens was reporting)."

25. Letter of Joseph Smith to John M. Bernhisel, 16 November 1841, in Dean C. Jessee, ed., "The Personal Writings of Joseph Smith" (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1984), 501-2.

Times and Seasons, Vol. 3, No. 23 (Oct. 1, 1842), p. 927:

"It is certainly a good thing for the excellency and veracity, of the divine authenticity of the Book of Mormon, that the ruins of Zarahemla have been found where the Nephites left them: and that a large stone with engravings upon it as Mosiah said; and a '(large round) stone, with the sides sculptured in hieroglyphics,' as Mr. Stephens has published, is also among the left remembrances of the, (to him,) (lost and unknown). We are not going to declare positively that the ruins of Quirigua [Guatemala] are those of Zarahemla, but when the land and the stones, and the books tell the story so plain, we are of opinion, that it would require more proof than the Jews could bring to prove the disciples stole the body of Jesus from the tomb, to prove that the ruins of the city in question, are not one of those referred to in the Book of Mormon."

Date: October 26, 2014 03:29AM

From Joseph Smith's journal, Moroni said "the Indians were the literal descendants of Abraham". http://josephsmithpapers.org/paperSummary/journal-1835-1836?p=25

Moroni must have forgotten to tell Joe that it was the Mayans and not the Seneca.

The church today keeps trying to explain what Joe did or did not understand but no BYU professor or apostle or living prophet has seen Moroni. Joe said he met with Moroni several times but if we can't take at face value what Smith said in his journal about what the so-called angel told him there is not much point believing anything the church says.

Members are left without any statements of revelation from the top 15. They are picking and choosing from other members what to listen to. FAIR and Mesoamerica or Meldrum and the United States "heartland". FAIR attacks Meldrum and Meldrum's recent conference included a fake Cherokee chief and Sheriff Mack of Bundy's standoff, etc.

How any reasonable, thinking, educated person even remains Mormon is beyond me.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 03:39AM

One of the 3 Nephites was wandering around in Ohio in the 1990's. How do I know? He rescued my YW president when she ran out of gas on some back road. Not only that, he had some water in a container that he gave to her hot and crying children.

She told this story over and over. She also talked endlessly about her PB and it's prediction of her dying young. She was close to 40 at the time.

25 years later, she's still alive and well. Her and DH are as TBM as ever.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 04:44AM

After reading about all this BS I think Monson should have a revelation requiring all members of the church to wear tin foil hats when they are in the temple. George Carlin was right.

People are so stuck in their peer and family paradigm they clearly can't see it's all BS. The ones who do notice don't want to see more. It's easier to put up with it than make waves and heaven forbid, actually have to grow a pair and leave.

Date: October 26, 2014 05:37AM

If Monson and his cohort apostles had any kind of integrity and intellectual honesty they would lead their church into decanonizing and discarding the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Photo God ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 12:18PM

All Pres. Monson needs to do it ask The Three Nephites.

Very simple and he would get an answer directly from those who lived here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.