Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 07:16PM

Does anyone else remember this faith-promoting story that circulated in the late 90s-early 2000s?
Is was about a three-year-old Mormon boy, who was crushed under the garage door and "died" for a while. When he woke up, he told his parents he dreampt about birds in cages. His parents interpreted his dream as deceased people, trapped in LDS limbo, waiting for us to do their temple work.
This story was told a few times in sacrament meeting, through tears and well-placed skyward glances. I was moved by this story at the time, and would make me think that I had better get to the temple for those poor, waiting birds. (Not that I went often at all).
The story may have come into LDS lore through an Ensign article.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 07:59PM

LDS Limbo

How LOL can you go? :D

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:07PM

Yep, I do remember that one.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:12PM

But that particular story seemed so over-the-top saccharine that something in my brain said "REALLY??"

I was already beginning to figure out that a lot of the stuff dished out by the Mo-church had to be taken with a grain or two of salt.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:15PM

Is it a coincident that since Mormonism's need to be taken with a grain of salt, the COB is located so near the Great Salt Lake?

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:34PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:12PM

The injury of a poorly supervised child can be converted into a faith-promoting tale. That's some gold Bible alchemy there.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:49PM

My dad was recently in a bad car accident and wasn't breathing when the ambulence got to him. They resuscitated him and my TBM brothers all asked him if he saw or witnessed anything during that time. He said he didn't remember anything and they all seemed disappointed. I was the only one thinking, "well duh."

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:57PM

DH had a cardiac arrest followed by several minutes of CPR. He also remembered nothing. In fact he remembered nothing about the entire following week.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:28PM

As an adult fool who has learned well the run n duck whilst steppin ovah da beam way to exit a duly equipped garage........

I pity the fool who ain't been well schooled.

Plus.

Sorry for the kid who almost died for some untold sin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 09:30PM by Shummy.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:07PM

Exactly, either the parents were not full tithe payers or the kid had been mean to a sibling or neighborhood kid. Mormon god will close the door on sin every time in order to teach and refine. They became full tithe payers after this incident of teaching.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:24PM

we accept Cheese and Rice as our savor?

Snopes recorded this one years ago.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/birdies.asp

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:36PM

when family offers me a faith promoting story! I've shot down quite a number this way!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.