Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 10:19PM

Someone needs to go to a trunk-or-treat as 'the angel with a flaming sword'

The costume would be easy to do: a white hotel bathrobe, some gold makeup for your face/hands and some of that gold hair spray stuff. Add a simple cardboard or wooden sword with some flame decals and you're all set.

Now that he is a part of the official version of The Restoration... why not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 11:47PM

Can I go as Fannie?

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:18AM

make sure to put some pieces of hay in your wig.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:18PM

And suck your thumb.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 01:19PM

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 11:48PM

It wasn't a flaming sword. It was a drawn sword.
You could dress as an angel with a flaming sword but then you'd be guilty of inaccurate details.

What is up with this flaming sword inaccuracy?

sheesh!

We expect the lds to get their data right; it's only fair that exmormons do the same thing.

"When that principle was revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith ... he did not falter, although it was not until an angel of God, with a drawn sword, stood before him; and commanded that he should enter into the practice of that principle, or he should be utterly destroyed, or rejected, that he moved forward to reveal and establish that doctrine."
- Prophet Joseph F. Smith, "Plural Marriage for the Righteous Only-Obedience Imperative-Blessings Resulting", Journal of Discourses, Vol.20, p.28 - p.29

"Joseph was commanded to take more wives and he waited until an angel with a drawn sword stood before him and declared that if he longer delayed fulfilling that command he would slay him."
- Hyrum Smith, Elder Benjamin F. Johnson's Letter to George S. Gibbs, 1903

mary lightner"I know whereon I stand, I know what I believe, I know what I know and I know what I testify to you is the living truth. As I expect to meet it at the bar of the eternal Jehovah, it is true. And when you stand before the bar you will know. He preached polygamy and he not only preached it, but he practiced it. I am a living witness to it. It was given to him before he gave it to the Church. An angel came to him and the last time he came with a drawn sword in his hand and told Joseph if he did not go into that principle, he would slay him."
- Sister Mary Lightner, Address to Brigham Young University, April 14th, 1905, BYU Archives and Manuscripts
Also See: http://www.ldshistory.net/pc/merlbyu.htm

benjamin-f-johnson"His brother, Hyrum, said to me, "Now, Brother Benjamin, you know that Brother Joseph would not sanction this if it was not from the Lord. The Lord revealed this to Brother Joseph long ago, and he put it off until the Angel of the Lord came to him with a drawn sword and told him that he would be slain if he did not go forth and fulfill the law." He told my sister to have no fears, and he there and then sealed my sister, Almira, to the Prophet."

"Soon after this he was at my house again, where he occupied my Sister Almira's room and bed, and also asked me for my youngest sister, Esther M. I told him she was promised in marriage to my wife's brother. He said, "Well, let them marry, for it will all come right.""
- Joseph Smith's personal secretary and church patriarch, Elder Benjamin F. Johnson, My Life's Review

lorenzo snow"The Prophet Joseph Smith there and then explained to me the doctrine of plurality of wives; he said that the Lord had revealed it unto him, and commanded him to have women sealed to him as wives; that he foresaw the trouble that would follow, and sought to turn away from the commandment; that an angel from heaven then appeared before him with a drawn sword, threatening him with destruction unless he went forward and obey the commandment."

"He further said that my sister, Eliza R. Snow, had been sealed to him as his wife for time and eternity. He told me that the Lord would open the way, and I should have women sealed to me as wives. This conversation was prolonged, I think, one hour or more, in which he told me many important things."

"I solemnly declare before God and holy angels, and as I hope to come forth in the morning of the resurrection, that the above statement is true."
- Prophet Lorenzo R. Snow, sworn affidavit.
Also See: http://www.mormons.org.uk/celest.htm

polygamy-FLDS"19 year-old Zina remained conflicted until a day in October, apparently, when Joseph sent [her older brother] Dimick to her with a message: an angel with a drawn sword had stood over Smith and told him that if he did not establish polygamy, he would lose "his position and his life." Zina, faced with the responsibility for his position as prophet, and even perhaps his life, finally acquiesced." (In Sacred Loneliness, page 80-81)

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:15AM

The "flaming sword" version dates back at least to, and possibly originated from, Orson F. Whitney.

Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, p. 321:

"A grand and glorious principle had been revealed, and for years had slumbered in the breast of God's Prophet, awaiting the time when, with safety to himself and the Church, it might be confided to the sacred keeping of a chosen few. That time had now come. An angel with a flaming sword descended from the courts of glory and, confronting the Prophet, commanded him in the name of the Lord to establish the principle so long concealed from the knowledge of the Saints and of the world — that of plural marriage."

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:29AM

Didn't the angel at the Garden of Eden have a flaming sword?

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:37PM

Heretic 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't the angel at the Garden of Eden have a
> flaming sword?

Yes. Maybe that is what's causing some confusion.

Posted by: ladyhawk ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:44AM

I have been trying to figure out what to be for Halloween. This is great! The spouse could be ol' horny Joe and I could be the angel. Terrific!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 02:51AM

It can't be a cardboard sword. STEEL remember, uninvented steel is the word. Ebay has steel swords.

A flaming sword sounds like a drag since you burn yourself every time to try to stab someone.. NO FUN

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 03:44AM

A battery powered light saber adorned with tinsel would suffice.

Posted by: rups ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:00AM

Why would an angel need a sword...?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:28AM

Exactly. And why not an Uzi or a nuclear weapon. Why would an angel need an archaic device? If an angel needed weapons, why would an angel bring inferior ones?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:55AM

Maybe the sword was not to threaten him with death, but rather to cut off his most dearest body part if he didn't instigate "plural marriage"...

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 02:47PM

Maybe...just maybe...the "flaming sword" is metaphorical for "flaming p*nis".

Ya think???

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 03:03PM

"Orson F. Whitney"

Note that Orson was the son of Helen Mar Kimball, the 14 year old. Maybe he got the flaming sword tidbit from Mom.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 05:35PM

"It wasn't a flaming sword. It was a drawn sword."

So, your costume should include a #2 pencil?

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:16PM

I'll be the guy the angel appears to.

Posted by: RS Dropout ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:06PM

My rs is having a party where you dress up as what you'd like to be when you "grow up". I'm thinking of going as a priesthood holder......

Posted by: Ruthie ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 03:25AM

If the sword belongs to an angel, is it made of an earthly material like steel that could scare/hurt you? And if so, how could an angels hands really hold on to it? I'm confused.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 01:27PM

Never thought of that. An angel can't shake your hand, but they can hold swords that can hurt you? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb...

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 03:02PM

I didn't realize Orson F. Whitney got the story mixed up.

The weird thing is that when I first read about the drawn sword on this board back in 2005 my mind confused it with a flaming sword too. I also wanted to apologize if my original response came off harsh cause when I re-read it I sounded kinda harsh. That wasnt' my intention.

Like another poster wrote, it may be that the mind is confused with the Garden of Eden flaming sword angel.

Apparently Smiths angels sword was only drawn, not flaming.
Maybe he had a lower class angel?

Here are some other quotes from Orson F. Whitney that are interesting:

The only legitimate 'birth control' is that which springs naturally from the observance of divine laws, and the use of procreative powers, not for pleasure primarily, but for race perpetuation and improvement.
Orson F. Whitney, Apostle Orson F. Whitney, Relief Society Magazine, v. 3, no. 7, July 1916

During certain periods ‑‑ those of gestation and lactation ‑‑ the wife and mother should be comparatively free to give her strength to her offspring; and if this involves some self‑denial on the part of the husband and father, so much the better for all concerned.
Orson F. Whitney, Apostle Orson F. Whitney, Relief Society Magazine, v. 3, no. 7, July 1916

'Birth control,' under God's law, is a problem that solves itself. I have no faith in the sophisms of those who reject His law, and try to substitute therefor their own vain theories for sex regulation.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 03:32AM

Boo!

Happy Helloween folks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.