Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:35AM

Take this for what it is worth.

My Mormon neighbor told me that his brother is in the ward of this guy and that when "Meet the Mormons" came out he rented a theater and invited his family and his ward family to attend - all food, drink (non-alcoholic of course), and movie for free.

What a guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:41AM

Pitcher?

A thing you carry water in and pour it out of?

A baseball player?

Misspelling of "picture"?

I do not understand this post.

Also: You have to take any gossip coming from a mormon with a huge grain of salt.

Date: October 30, 2014 11:53AM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A thing you carry water in and pour it out of?

No.

> A baseball player?

Yes.

> Misspelling of "picture"?

Maybe, called "Meet the Mormons"

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:46AM

Date: October 30, 2014 11:52AM

LOL!

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:32PM

is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me if there's some truth to it. Guthrie has a reputation for being a very open and generous guy, and the Royals have a reputation for really being close with the community in KC. When Guthrie was with Colorado he had a situation where he was at the ballpark on an off day and had no one to play catch with, so he sent out a tweet to see if any fans wanted to come down to play catch at Coors Field. When Jeff Francoeur was in KC he used to buy beer for the everyone seated in right field at every home game. And Hosmer, etc., bought fans $20,000.00 in drinks at a local bar to celebrate the ALCS win.

Posted by: Harold ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:37PM

That is cool. His ward must have been elated.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:40PM

I have a legendary Mormon sport family in my close circle. They are royalty and receive all of the trappings, accolades, and indulgences that come with that status in the Mormon culture.

They also have expectations. I imagine his purchasing out a theater was more of an expectation being met more than anything else, although maybe he really does make a habit of buying out theaters to provide others commercial-free commercials.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 01:41PM

Elder Berry Wrote:

> What a guy.

Sounds like a GREAT guy to me.

Date: October 30, 2014 01:43PM

The movie choice is what prompted my sarcasm.

Date: October 30, 2014 02:13PM

Hmmmmmm. Well lets look at that.

Mormon leaders tell members to see movie + wealthy Mormon major league pitcher has financial ability to buyout theater w/ refreshments + treats ward to a showing = "Meet the Mormons"

Were you expecting him to treat the ward to a showing of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"?

In reality, he didn't have to treat anyone to anything. Like I said, sounds like a pretty good (and generous) guy to me.

Date: October 30, 2014 02:46PM

Mr. Happy Wrote:
> Like I said, sounds like a pretty good
> (and generous) guy to me.

He probably is but...

"Were you expecting him to treat the ward to a showing of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"?"

I would say he would be more than pretty good if he chose that movie. Showing Mormons a movie designed for non-Mormons doesn't sound like he was wanting to entertain them.

Date: October 30, 2014 03:18PM

Elder Berry Wrote:

> I would say he would be more than pretty good if he chose that movie. Showing Mormons a movie designed for non-Mormons doesn't sound like he was wanting to entertain them.

Was the movie designed for non-Mormons? If so I would think the message from church leaders would not have been to encourage members to see it, but instead would have more strongly encouraged members to take or encourage non-Mormons to see it.

Either way, regardless of who paid for my ticket, if it were me, I would sneak over to the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" theater.

Date: October 30, 2014 04:17PM

Mr. Happy Wrote:
> Was the movie designed for non-Mormons?

It smells like it was. I don't know. But if it were designed for members I can imagine the people they chose would have been much different. I don't have facts but others have mentioned it looks like a commercial.

Date: October 30, 2014 04:37PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> But if it were designed for members I can imagine the people they chose would have been much different.

How so?

I see it this way - You have a church that is leaking members, you put together a slick production of emotional stories of extraordinary members of the church, encourage your membership to go see it, they leave with warm fuzzies, burning bosoms, and renewed strength in their faith. How can that NOT be designed for the members? If the members happen to bring along a non-member, or a non-member pays to see the movie (not very likely), then that is just gravy.

My deluded TBM ex thought it was one of the greatest movies she has ever seen. Not for the members?? C'mon man.

Date: October 30, 2014 04:43PM

You are probably right. The Mormons I'm around have no interest in seeing it. My neighbor is waiting for the DVD. It will probably go into his collection possibly not even viewed.

My wife hasn't mentioned it at all. I don't think she is interested. My kids have no desire to see it.

Date: October 30, 2014 04:47PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> My wife hasn't mentioned it at all. I don't think she is interested. My kids have no desire to see it.

I asked my semi-TBM daughter in Utah if she had plans to see it. She told me that she had already met enough Mormons for her lifetime. LOL!!!

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 01:50PM

I'm not sure if it's a home run or a strikeout.. I know, a walk.

Date: October 30, 2014 01:55PM

...and not faint, run and not be weary.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 02:06PM

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 04:11PM

OK, grand slam.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 04:39PM

"You have to take any gossip coming from a mormon with a huge grain of salt." - YEAH like the Great Salt Lake's worth of salt.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 05:20PM

+1000

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 05:07PM

That's nice but thanks to the Giants this guy is a LOSER!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.