Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 12:49PM

So verilyverily had her mother's property, that her mother intended to leave to her, taken from her and TSCC culture colluded to do it. It sounds like there are court transcripts that would tell an interesting story. And probably bank statements as well that tell a story of affinity fraud, which Utah is well-known for.

"The state thought to have the most affinity fraud per head is Utah, where 60% of the population are Mormons" from an article in The Economist

http://www.economist.com/node/21543526

Anagrammy had a relative who donated land to TSCC for a church parking lot, only to have a relative of a high-up poobah take possession of it to put a money-making apartment building on it. Property deeds would tell an interesting story there.

I would like to see these stories and more told in the national media. What else do we know about that is recent, well documented, and in the US?

It's not just that the church is not true. The church and its culture are also bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 01:05PM

Well, don't the tithing slips say that they can do whatever want with the money you give them, even if you write down "Use for giant 'ex-mormon.org' banner"??

Plus, they have an army of lawyers and accountants, some actually are paid, too!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 12:13AM

Also, the most horrific greed story I ever heard was the infamous cherry farm in Provo in the seventies.

This guy invented a clever cherry pitter and the church desperately wanted his cherry orchards AND his invention. They would stop at nothing to get it and the details shocked me so much they jarred me right out of my goddess-in-embryo coma and sent me talking to people who knew the dark side of Mormonism.

I am hoping someone here has the details of that escapade because lawsuits were filed and people received death threats as a result of bucking the desires of the Mormon church (if I am remembering correctly).

Anagrammy

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 12:38AM

Cherry orchard: Search on Garn Baum.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 10:31AM

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 04:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 04:52PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:25PM

I read an older thread about this very situation about the cherry pit machine. Bro. Baum could never produce any evidence statins his case so it was dismissed. The court of appeals in Colorado did not see any evidence that was produced by the whole process of collecting evidence that would indicate a problem.

Can somebody elaborate on this cherry pitting machine. Surely, somebody else ALSO had a cherty pitting machine in the area.

Bro. Baum was a processor. The LDS farms also processed cherries. What was the LDS processing company using to get the job done versus what Bro. Baum was using?

Given some of the stories I read it seemed like LDS farms encouraged farmers to not use Bro. Baum as a processor. So, that made it hard for Baum to pay the bills and defaulted on his loan.

Am I missing something?

Date: October 29, 2014 10:41PM

Here is the older link to the thread.

It has the links to the 60 minutes episode.

Link to a church document discussing the talking points and another link about the appeals court and what the judgment was.

Posted by: Mo Larkey Date: October 23, 2010 01:30AM
CBS 60 MINS 1979 LDS GARN BAUM Part 1
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0asb_cbs-60-mins-1979-lds-garn-baum-part_news

CBS 60 MINS 1979 LDS GARN BAUM Part 2 25
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0ax6_cbs-60-mins-1979-lds-garn-baum-part_news

Posted by: SL Cabbie Date: October 23, 2010 02:18AM
"I see this was 1979, so Hinckley wasn't in the FP yet... As always, I'm grateful for facts, and I find the silence by Mormons on this one is telling..."

"And in the interest of full disclosure, I found this reply on Google, and the summary judgment of the appeals court... Scroll down past the faith-promoting African stuff..."

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=41a3615b01a6b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Lawyers for Mr. Baum spent more than three years investigating the case and taking sworn depositions of all possible witnesses. On 28 November 1979, a U.S. District Court judge was asked to dismiss the case for the reason that there was no evidence to support Mr. Baum’s action against the Church corporations.

The federal judge listened to the entire argument of Mr. Baum’s lawyer. After the lawyer, with Mr. Baum in attendance, stated that he had no case against the Church corporations, the judge said:

“As I understand it, counsellor, you concede that you’ve been able to discover nothing in the records in reference to the so-called ecclesiastical corporations.”

Mr. Baum’s attorney, who is not a member of the Church, replied: “Yes, Your Honor. I have to be candid. I can find nothing in the depositions which show the requisite matters [essential facts necessary to support a legal claim] as to the two church corporations.”

The above statements of the judge and Mr. Baum’s lawyer were communicated to the CBS-TV producer of the 60 Minutes television program, who refused to use them.

http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F2/648/1292/130626/

Essentially, the plaintiffs (baum) went through a number of lawyers to help represent them. During discovery they couldn't find anything. They hoped that through having a trial, evidence could then be produced.

As to why they couldn't produce anything prior is questionable. The burdens of proof was the responsibility of the Plaintiffs and didn't have any.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 12:29AM

I want to do something about this..........something serious if possible. How do I get the court transcripts?
One of the horrible TBMs actually lied to the court by saying she was not coming to testify (said she was too sick), but then DID COME in disguise and was there in disguise for the entire trial. My attorney said that within the court transcripts, it is mentioned that the b**** couldn't testify because she wasn't there WHILE SHE WAS SITTING RIGHT THERE IN COURT. But they aren't going to charge her with contempt of court, perjury, or fraud (ALL OF WHICH SHE IS GUILTY).
This same b**** postponed the trial due to her "sickness" and then had the audacity to come in disguise. Her two brothers, the OTHER TWO DEFENDANTS, (Satanic assholes) are not only TBMs but are both part of the good ol boy culture/mentality in their respective slimy regions, Pleasant Grove and St George area.

Any lawyers want to help me? I will make sure you get something out of it if you do it on contingency. I am flat broke now from the trial etc. If only I had known, I would have insisted on a change of venue. I was a naive idiot to expect the legal system in Utah to be different from the rest of Utah. I was a total idiot.
Has there ever been a city with a less deserved name than Pleasant Grove? Is this supposed to be about JSs grove? There is no grove in Pleasant Grove Utah.

There are a couple of people (on this board) I need to get in touch with to talk about this. I need to find out from Susan how to do that. Does anyone know? Susan, if you are there, get in touch with me, please.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 12:34AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 10:35AM

A friend (non-Mo) bought a house on land in Moab and had the water rights stolen during the transaction by the sellers, who were Mormon. He was going to take them to court but figured he'd lose, since the judge was also a Mo.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 05:13PM

> It's not just that the church is not true. The
> church and its culture are also bad.

Couldn't agree more!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:51PM

nationalnewscampaign - where do I start? I want to sue for dereliction of duty by my lawyer (a TBM) and the judge etc. There are several things I need to sue for.

The Chief of Police would not go to my mom's house (which was my house at the time) as it was being robbed by the slimy TBMs who were taking everything from the house (my mom's China, her figurines, her silver etc. EVERYTHING) - I was left with nothing be tears.
When I called him to have him go arrest the people, the Chief of Police said that the people there had "Some connection" to the house. The only connection they had is that their father (who was dead at this time) used to live there. I told the Chief that I had a stronger connection to the house, the DEED.

Even my mom's TBM neighbor (who told me that the house was being robbed) refused to come to court and testify. And the slimy financial planner (a TBM Bishop) lied on the witness stand. One of the TBMs (defendants) came to court in disguise so she would not have to testify and since she was in disguise we did not recognize her. Where I live that is CONTEMPT OF COURT AND PERJURY, but not in slimy Utah where nothing happened to the C*NT.

I need a lawyer who will take this on. I spent all of the money I had fighting these EVIL TBMs. If there is a lawyer who wants to take this on, I will give you 45% of what you get, but it has to be on a contingency.

HELP!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 10:51PM by verilyverily.

Date: October 30, 2014 11:52AM

Any statute of limitations enforced for this case? Not sure how long ago it was.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 10:17PM

Off topic a bit here but I couldn't help but notice that Susan Powell's parents and Danielle Willard's mom eventually got lawyers from outside of Utah.

Utah lawyers and Utah LE belong to the same gang and even if you get a non-Mormon lawyer in Utah the pressure on him/her can be too great for them to be effective-- depending on the case of course.

Date: October 31, 2014 10:34PM

Interesting Blog by Mark Geragos about Danielle Willard's case and Utah.

http://www.geragos.com/blog/?p=26

Date: October 31, 2014 11:28PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.