Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: They don't want me back/TDWMB ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 10:09AM

So I was thinking that testimonies are meant to shut people down, giving no opportunity for disagreement.

When a Mormon bears their testimony, being respectful of their feelings you stay silent on the glaring errors in logic, deferring to allow them their moment, at the same time denying any dissenting opinions. (Sounds like Mormonism) and how many times has a person with a dissenting opinion been hustled out of a testimony meeting?)

However, I have a few thoughts about this way of thinking.
I agree many people don't know where they fit in, being brainwashed in a cult is not the answer, unless the answer you're looking for is to have people walking around without a clue but at least "behaving"? and giving them a "PURPOSE", devoting yourself to a cult lifestyle, going to meetings and all the obligations that cult membership entails.

The comparison to someone (not a member) who made tragic choices instead of the many people who live happy purposeful lives without the cult brainwashing. Who are not "lost" who know what they're doing and are happy.

If you want to bring up tragic choices why not consider Mark Hacking, who had "the Church" and all it's direction and ended up killing his wife to hide his "non-conformity"? How healthy and happy did the "Godspell" and "purpose" make him?

Followed by a song to sum up how happy they are and all that "the Cult" membership has done for them.

I am also happy and grateful that I am no longer a cult member, I have a wonderful purposeful life and am grateful that I don't have to give credit for my good choices to a cult.

So not to be disrespectful, but your testimony doesn't really make any sense to me.

But it would be mean to say that????

So I have been having some thoughts the past few days about people and their need to figure out who they are and where they fit in and belong. I am grateful that I know who I am and where I belong. I know that I am a daughter of God. I am grateful that I know why am here and where I am going and what my purpose is here on this earth. So many people have no idea what the point of this life is and are swayed by any wind that blows their way. Being a member of the Mormon church has given me direction, values and a knowledge of our purpose here in this life. It saddens me when I see young people commit heinous crimes and are sentenced to life in prison. We all get one shot at this life and they throw it all away. I was thinking yesterday about a person I grew up with who, at the age of 20, was sentenced to life in prison. She has been there 34 years. By the choices she made, she gave up her chance to be married, have children & grandchildren and experience the joyful things in this life. It is so sad. I have had a church song going through my head all morning that sums up my feelings.
"My life is a gift, my life has a plan. My life has a purpose, in Heaven it began. My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth and and seek for God's light to direct me from birth. I will follow God's plan for me. Holding fast to His word and His love. I will work and I will pray. I will always walk in His way. Then I will be happy on earth and in my home above." I have been blessed in this life with the desires of my heart. My ultimate desire in this life has been to be a wife and mother. I have a good husband and wonderful kids and grand kids and I wouldn't trade it all for anything. I'm not rich or have the most expensive house or car but I have the important things that money can't buy and for that I am truly grateful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 10:28AM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:06PM

Is it acceptable to ask either in a FB testimony or at F&T meeting, "Can I ask a couple of questions for clarification?"

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 01:11PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.