Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:14AM

In a thread titled "Interesting is what was not mentioned in the "essays."" Baura stated "They've engaged in a "limited hangout.""

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1428814

A limited hangout is defined as: "A limited hangout, or partial hangout, is a public relations or propaganda technique that involves the release of previously hidden information in order to prevent a greater exposure of more important details."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_hangout

I don't think it is possible to understand the essays without understanding what a limited hangout is. Nor can you understand the essays without understanding what gaslighting is, which is the topic of its own thread: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1429585

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:34AM

I'd never heard of the term "limited hangout" before, but just reading the wikipedia article on it was very startling, as that sounds exactly like what they are doing.

I like the other definition at the end of the article too - the strategy of mixing partial admissions with misinformation and resistance to further investigation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 12:47AM by seekyr.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:46AM

From the Wikipedia page about limited hangouts:

"Victor Marchetti wrote: "A 'limited hangout' is spy jargon for a favorite and frequently used gimmick of the clandestine professionals. When their veil of secrecy is shredded and they can no longer rely on a phony cover story to misinform the public, they resort to admitting—sometimes even volunteering—some of the truth while still managing to withhold the key and damaging facts in the case. The public, however, is usually so intrigued by the new information that it never thinks to pursue the matter further.""

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:53AM

Interesting term. Thanks for the thread and posts concerning this.

This term is new to me. Sure sounds like a great description of the actions of the cult concerning the essays.

I am beside myself with glee that the cult is getting its face plastered with mud across the world because of its miscalculations.

Couldn't have happened to a more evil corporation!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.