Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:13AM

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-47-exaltation?lang=eng

Of all the crazy nonsense in Mormonism this is the craziest. They deny it, yet they still teach it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:28AM

It was a well put together webpage. They would hate to have to delete it.

Posted by: brotherlastname ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:31PM

That's what gets me. That Satan was cast out of Heaven for wanting to be a God himself and take over Heaven. And well, you will be one if you're Mormon though and follow through with all their demands.

Posted by: outandhappy ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:35PM

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:41PM

What are some blessings that will be given to those who are exalted?

Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will...

1. They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).
2. They will become gods (see D&C 132:20–23).
3. They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.
4. They will receive a fulness of joy.
5. They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have—all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge (see D&C 132:19–20).

President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: “The Father has promised through the Son that all that he has shall be given to those who are obedient to His commandments. They shall increase in knowledge, wisdom, and power, going from grace to grace, until the fulness of the perfect day shall burst upon them.”

Until TSCC throw Joseph Fielding Smith under the bus, this Godhood dealio ain't going anywhere.

Posted by: hinckledinkledumb ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:08PM

"I don't know that we teach that."

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:52PM

...well, if you DO get your own planet, rest assured it will not be a five-star planet. Most likely a burned-out shell; or some creepy Haz-Mat repository for God's Heavenly waste.........kinda' like a radioactive dump site in Nevada. Bring a Tyvec suit.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 02:30AM

Is it a star, or a planet?

And if it is a planet, what is the name of the star? Are there other planets around that star, and are they populated with a god and his spirit wives and children?

Or should I just sit down and shut up?

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 02:46AM

I used to care about that stuff, and looked it up right now. Kolob is a star near God, and the star nearest to the throne of God, and one of the "governing stars."

And there's no need to shut up, since we all know it's just the caffeine talking.

Date: November 13, 2014 02:53AM

Or the 3.14159265359 Vision?

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 03:54AM

Probably the latter. IIRC, transcendental numbers are also irrational. Let me look that one up...

Date: November 13, 2014 10:29AM

I'd love to take you out for a beer and discuss this further, except I can't afford to kill any more brain cells. I happened to come across an SLC business (for real!), "Jack Mormon Coffee Co."

Gotta love it!

http://www.jackmormoncoffee.com/

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 10:08AM

If enough people link to this bat guano, they'll take it down for sure.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 10:38AM

As a teenager in the 1980s it was indoctrinated into me in YM and Seminary & BYU religion/ward classes that if we lived worthily and kept all the commandments that we'd get to have exaltation - i.e. unlimited worlds without number and all that goes with being a god. That's a pretty strong selling point.

Now when I hear people say that the promise is "your own planet" I think of the following analogy. You walk up to the counter at Golden Corral buffet and pay for an all-you-can-eat buffet. Then you go to your table and they give you one measly french fry. And that is all you get.

No siree, I was promised "worlds without number", not just one measly planet, and that's why I worked my ass off on my mission and everything else church-related my whole life (including marriage/children before I was ready) until I discovered suddenly at age 28 that it's all BS. When a person really believes all that crazy sh*t as I did then its really easy to agree to do everything you are asked to do by leaders and to put up with all the bullsh*t that Mormonism expects of its people.

Of course I now know that their teaching is absurd. However keep in mind that its a big selling point for the young men in the church. Now I'm not sure how the leadership is going to tapdance on this selling point now with the youth when they publicly disavow such doctrines yet try to still motivate the youth to obey them, serve them, and commit themselves to being good cows that get milked/slaughtered for the kingdom. Nevertheless that's not my problem. I just feel sorry for my nephews and others who are headed down that same path.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:37PM

They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.

They will receive a fulness of joy.

Guess you can't get to number 4 without number 3. If only one member of your "eternal' family faulters how can you have joy? I guess when you become perfect you just forget about that other family member as if they never existed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.