Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 09:23AM

What if we humans were built so that orgasms (or at least all the great feelings of an orgasm) were totally unrelated to sex and reproduction? What if those great feelings didn't come from genital stimulation? (There are documented cases of that being so with some individuals. For example, there is a woman who has an orgasm when she brushes her teeth.) So, let's say we had orgasms from, oh, scratching our head or tapping our elbow. Or from just thinking about it. How would Mormonism (and other uptight religions) feel about us getting off on our own? After all, we wouldn't be abusing the "sacred act of reproduction."

If humans were built that way, I suspect religions would have come up with some other reason for condemning self-pleasuring. Because those kinds of religions are about control, shame and creating things to feel guilty about. They're about rejecting the body in favor of spiritual things. I don't think their problem is with masturbation, per se, but with the individual's ability to feel fantastic without doctrines, dogmas or ecclesiastical permission.

The orgasm is tough competition for the religious swoon. Which makes you feel better: going to church or rubbing one out? Reading scriptures or rubbing one out? Fasting or rubbing one out? Controlling religions try to level the playing field by attaching shame to orgasms. "I feel great for a few seconds, but then I feel dirty and guilty the rest of the day. I need to break this cycle." Fine, give up the guilt. Give up the intrusion into your private life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2014 09:24AM by Stray Mutt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 12:05PM

Find freedom by making freedom for others to thrive in.

Pleasure is part of life; part of being alive, and feeling that enthusiasm. What is wrong with walking into the sunshine and basking in that glow? What is wrong with eating a delicious meal and smiling about it? What is the problem with being happy any way (you can)?

Mormoni wants to deny happiness, pleasure, celebration. Deny it by being yourself, worshipping as you may and celebrating life's small pleasures without it's warnings, threats of danger or punishments.

This is your life - that is why you are living it.

M@t

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 12:11PM

The human species might just die out if that were the case.
Without that major incentive to seek out sex to have those feelings, why have sex that results in making new humans?
:)

And yes, religions always have and always will seek to control how and when we get our pleasure.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 19, 2014 12:14PM

Okay, then let's pretend there were sexual and nonsexual orgasms, similar but distinct. Would they condemn the non-sexual orgasm?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.