Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 10:41AM

...OK. Fine. So that makes it legitimate.....I get it now.

"The other instrument, which Joseph Smith discovered in the ground years before he retrieved the gold plates, was a small oval stone, or “seer stone.” As a young man during the 1820s, Joseph Smith, like others in his day, used a seer stone to look for lost objects and buried treasure. As Joseph grew to understand his prophetic calling, he learned that he could use this stone for the higher purpose of translating scripture."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 02:10PM

like other con men in his day

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 02:23PM

A quote from Spencer W. Kimball, "I use the blackboard as I go into the stakes of Zion to dramatize some of the things that seem to me to be very, very important. To the stake presidency, high council, and bishoprics, I draw on the blackboard a series of circles, and in the top one I write “Eternal Life or Exaltation.” That is our ultimate goal for everyone, of course."

Now the real story of the circle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyUPtcMILOE&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 02:24PM

Do they not think that others have them in this day as well? These types of things are more popular now than ever before.

These objects are the things LDSInc. warns us about, tools of the occult that will place you under the power of satan. Pendulums, crystals, seer stones and globes, ouija, scrying, psychism...all at one time or another condemned by the LDS church in modern times.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 02:27PM

You can understand the Lord's frustration in trying to get all those crazy ideas out of Joseph's head. You know, Joseph was on the right track but just needed to be prodded by a destroying angel every now an then. The stone was like his security blanket and it was what he was comfortable with. I mean the Lord couldn't take away his special rocks when everyone else was using them also.

Let the laughing begin.....

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 02:28PM

The description of the seer stone always makes me laugh. I live on an island. The beaches that surround it are covered with billions of smooth oval stones. Many have unusual holes or dents in them. They come in every color, some are pink agates. How could I possibly pick just one?

Here's a picture of what the beaches look like for miles around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT3DbCLzV-w

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: November 20, 2014 02:37PM

What never get addressed is if they believe that god gave Joe’s magic rock the power to actually find lost objects and buried treasure. Was Joe successful in finding treasure? If not, Joe’s a conman. If by some miracle he was successful it would mean god gives his power to rocks to help people find treasure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.